the ~Ask Anyone Anything~ thread

Suddenly, MR has good grammar. :lol: Debates are a wonderful thing.

U has teh googles

jerk

I would consider it a plot
The bildungsroman or coming of age story is a valid thing. That is the beauty of the plot. It does not rely on saving the world it relies on the character becoming stronger. A legendary kinda takes the fun out of the growing because you instantly have power by having one.
In contrast, Mewtwo is the pinnacle of your journey in RB. You are about to fight the strongest pokemon. I personally try to catch him with a pokeball to make it more enjoyable and rewarding.

Bildungsroman is definitely a crux in the motivation for any youngin' trainer settin' off on their journey obviously, that's how it's been presented in every single Pokemedia revolving 'round trainer protagonists. I'd certainly consider it a plot element: it's the motivation for Red to set out on his journey, but where's the supporting plot for the coming-of-age story? How often is it mentioned that Red, rather than his Pokemon, are metaphorically growing as a boy to a teenager to an adult? 'Sides at the very end after Oak insults his relative like a real dick of a grandfather, I certainly don't remember. If the topic is brought up very often, it certainly ain't thrown into any memorable depth or moments. It's certainly focused on more than in other games ('cept BW1), but that hardly means the plot itself is better. What's t' say coming of age stories are superior to ones where the protagonist is saving the world from a megalomaniac? Character growth in any plot is bloody important whether bildungsroman is a specific element to said plot or not. Besides Red's accomplishments, where's the growth? I just don't see it.

Point being, an element of the plot don't carry the plot. What I'm gettin' from this is that you seem t' be simply fond of the Bildungsroman; at the very least ya are in this particular bit'a media. It's not what's said, it is how it's said.

That is (from what I understand) nostalgia, as in those born in the RSE gen will be nostalgic over RSE because of the childlike fascination.

If it ain't nostalgia, it's somethin' similar is what I was gettin' at. A forgettable point regardless, forget I mentioned it since it's not really relevant. Ain't no way t' outright prove nostalgiafaggotry is responsible for this after all.

Legendaries don't hurt the game but I feel the storyline suffers from being tied to legendaries. It does give the plot a solid base but it weakens the bildungsroman. also I am not a sole genwunner, I also like gen two for its reasons (mostly the adventure theme and it still has a strong bildungsroman).

That further supports the fact ya just like bildungsroman as a plot element rather than RBY's plot in itself. Regardless'a that, I'm gonna actually ask a question: what legendaries hurt which stories and how? Gimme at least two examples, if ya would.

With more and more legendaries coming out, I feel they are only objects in a showcase. I like legendary collecting and I like legendaries in general but I don't like how they are directly tied into the story.

That is a valid point, but one that's relatively related to "it's not what ya show, it's how ya present it" 'n all that. For example, plots revolving around legendaries since RSE always have t' do with various mythological or philosophical factors which said legendaries are based on. Obviously a fictional plot 'bout how these mysterious monsters of old shaped the planet and literally created people, other Pokemon and the world 'n physiques which govern it has potential. But every time these legendaries are tied into the plot, it's simply 'cause a bad guy wants t' misuse their extreme power. The legendaries don't get the focus they deserve and are simply a tie-in. The more legendaries you have, the more tie-ins that're bein' added in. Screen time has t' be split between said legendaries, makin' 'em seen thrown in with abandon even moreso since that's really how it is: they're plot anchors used recklessly and without care. Wasted potential as a whole.

As a certain not-assassin mentioned in regards to some other bad villains, the evil teams' leaders are all simply bein' twirly mustache villains (most of 'em anyways, but the topic of which ones ain't is definitely a tangent for another time). The focus is on the leaders and how you need t' own them and their goons, not the legendaries. Indeed, as I mentioned above, the legends are haphazardly thrown into the story as a plot anchor point since they're not truly the main focus when they should be. Though not literally, they're essentially treated mainly as a personality-less tool. Might as well be generic artifact of supreme power #9001 (I will destroy anyone who brings the Pieces of Eden int' this >_>). A sentient being that literally controls and can warp Time or Space, nothin' more than a plot device? I call bullshit. That is poor presentation of any and all potential at it's finest debauchery.

Legendaries are inadvertently hurtin' the plot 'cause Game Freak ain't handling 'em properly in said plots, nothing more. Regardless of what element(s) they're hinging the story on, they'l be doin' it wrong. I repeat myself as such: tryin' hard and failing tends to result in a worse product than hardly tryin' and succeeding. It ain't the bloody Pokegods which make the plot worse, it's Game Freak's arse stories as a whole.

Or lack thereof in RBY's case.

EDIT: Always feels good t' make a tl;dr every once in awhile. :lol:

The Pokechanged reference was intentionally ass-backwards. I very well know Flandre's stages tend t' put the "hell" in "bullet hell", the joke in question wasn't callin' her low tier. T'was a joke in a joke referring to how UN swapped backwards is NU, or Never Used, the lowest tier in competitive 'mons. The "was low tier?" portion of this awful Pokejoke is in reference to how I switched UN around to reference the lowest tier. The joke wouldn't allude to anythin' otherwise, 'sides sarcasm. I'm never plainly sarcastic, so 'course I'd never do that.

Apparently somewhere along the line I've made a runnin' gag outta transforming references and various other memes int' Pokestupidity.

Okay, I failed for asking a vague question. I was more focused on how you got that reference in the first place, although it seems many people know of the theme due to the interwebz.

Suddenly, MR has good grammar. Debates are a wonderful thing.

Yesh.

Splash_King said:
As a certain not-assassin mentioned in regards to some other bad villains, the evil teams' leaders are all simply bein' twirly mustache villains (most of 'em anyways, but the topic of which ones ain't is definitely a tangent for another time). The focus is on the leaders and how you need t' own them and their goons, not the legendaries. Indeed, as I mentioned above, the legends are haphazardly thrown into the story as a plot anchor point since they're not truly the main focus when they should be. Though not literally, they're essentially treated mainly as a personality-less tool. Might as well be generic artifact of supreme power #9001 (I will destroy anyone who brings the Pieces of Eden int' this >_>). A sentient being that literally controls and can warp Time or Space, nothin' more than a plot device? I call bullshit. That is poor presentation of any and all potential at it's finest debauchery.

I remember when Mass Effect had a seemingly shades of grey plot. Then ME3 came up and it turned out that wasn't so.

Splash_King said:
Legendaries are inadvertently hurtin' the plot 'cause Game Freak ain't handling 'em properly in said plots, nothing more. Regardless of what element(s) they're hinging the story on, they'l be doin' it wrong. I repeat myself as such: tryin' hard and failing tends to result in a worse product than hardly tryin' and succeeding. It ain't the bloody Pokegods which make the plot worse, it's Game Freak's arse stories as a whole.

Game Freak sadly doesn't have a reason to do so. On the bright side, while they have all-powerful legendaries, they don't go and attempt to do what Assassin's Creed does. Imagine the consequences.

Splash_King said:
Or lack thereof in RBY's case.

B-but mysteriousness!

If I were to redesign Ruby's plot I would have the main confrontation after the E4. Traditionally the E4 represents the end of the journey, however the final test of strength should appear later on. In RBY it was the battle with Mewtwo. In GSC it was the battle with Red. I don't hate legendaries but I hate their placement in the main storyline.

Back to the redesigned plot: I would have the story progress as normal with some minor confrontations with Team Magma and Aqua, respectively, throughout the different towns and routes, casting a shadow from the moment of final suspense. Basically there would be hints and clues leading up to the final battle with the respective team leader and the eventual battle with Groudon/Kyogre. After the E4 you are congratulated on how far you came and such but the last test of strength would be the ultimate battle.

If I were to redesign Ruby's plot I would have the main confrontation after the E4. Traditionally the E4 represents the end of the journey, however the final test of strength should appear later on. In RBY it was the battle with Mewtwo. In GSC it was the battle with Red. I don't hate legendaries but I hate their placement in the main storyline.
To be fair Emerald has Steven as its "Red".

Catchin' lv. 70 legendaries that know Rest is indeed more challenging than someone with a full team'a lv. 70-75 Pokes... 'Specially when all of 'em easily fall to potent Fire STAB. :lol: Steven certainly was a disappointment. Good thing he isn't the pinnacle, ultimate challenge of the player's journey though; the Battle Frontier is.

Okay, I failed for asking a vague question. I was more focused on how you got that reference in the first place.

A combination of MAD and my love for all things music ('cept dubstep and country). Zun is boss.

fix'd

nou

I don't outright hate it or nothin', country simply doesn't resonate with me, not sure why. I can still 'preciate the higher end tunes 'n such of said music genre.

[STRIKE]Gospel.[/STRIKE] Easy. Jazz 'n other styles it encompasses. I would say VGM, but that's cheatin'. :lol: Yourself?

It has Navi, so no.

I've had a phase for lovin' all of the above at some point in time. :lol: Blues 'n Swing even still after all these years.

Back