Your Views on Proper Grammar?

Using the correct spelling and grammar makes the post easier to read and understand, so even though it is not a requirement, using clear words and sentences will get your point across in an official manner.

DRMARIO said:

Possibly those who have a mental difficulty? Just because they can't spell you dislike them.

Oh, and lazy isn't good.

No but sometimes laying back is.

KHgamer said:
why is it SUCH a big deal. if uou can understand it then dont spam about it.
If you have to ask that, you haven't been paying attention.

We've already provided multiple answers to that question earlier in the thread.

It helps to read the whole thread before jumping in to participate in the discussion.

And since this thread is about grammar (and spelling), it's certainly not spam to bring it up in this thread. ;)

It's possible to have both!

Jam, lay off being so retarded to everyone lately.

I don't point out missed apostrophes or such things too often. It's the word usage that annoys me the greatest. Obviously I take a lot of it in jest, that past participle thing is going to be the death of me. >_<

James, you say we're missing good posts when we skip over poorly written sentences? I don't see how "online" people should get your "lazy" writing, and only going into "school speak" when you feel you have to. What is the pain in taking an extra second and typing that extra vowel or two?

The English language, while easily the most complex mechanically, is still just a set of rules. There are exceptions, of course, but it still boils down to a SYSTEM.

If online, I wanted to say that 2+2=5? If you don't agree with me or can't do math; we're not in school! It's not like the rules of math have to apply here! In the same way does the argument that the rules of English do not apply sound ridiculous.

Brawny said:
It's possible to have both!

Jam, lay off being so retarded to everyone lately.

I don't point out missed apostrophes or such things too often. It's the word usage that annoys me the greatest. Obviously I take a lot of it in jest, that past participle thing is going to be the death of me. >_<

James, you say we're missing good posts when we skip over poorly written sentences? I don't see how "online" people should get your "lazy" writing, and only going into "school speak" when you feel you have to. What is the pain in taking an extra second and typing that extra vowel or two?

The English language, while easily the most complex mechanically, is still just a set of rules. There are exceptions, of course, but it still boils down to a SYSTEM.

If online, I wanted to say that 2+2=5? If you don't agree with me or can't do math; we're not in school! It's not like the rules of math have to apply here! In the same way does the argument that the rules of English do not apply sound ridiculous.

Exactly, they are merely simplifying things. Not bending rules completly.

As for your maths example, how about rounding up?

5.3463256 = Hello
5.3 = Hi
--
If these rules have to be followed so closely, shouldn't the likes of political correctness? 'Retarded' How am I being 'slow' to people, which is the process of retardation.

When I can major in political correctness in college, I'll come back and post. How is that?

I am okay with both hello and hi. Hell, I don't mind a "HAI" or "HAAAAYYYY".

To fix your (my) analogy.

This is a sample sentence. = pi
this is a sample sentence = 22/7
dis is a smpl sntnc = 4.

Brawny said:
I am okay with both hello and hi. Hell, I don't mind a "HAI" or "HAAAAYYYY".
You have to admit both are slighty endearing when coming from certain fabulous people :p Hahah.

oh man... i think i am one of the main reasons that this thread was created... me and arav989 were talking about grammar on the "ask anyone anything" thread. i was seriously going to create a thread like this but too late now. you beat me to it. anyway, i dont feel that it is necessary to use proper grammar on a chat site, but thats just me.

well...lets see. the only thing i can honestly say annoys me is when someone types everything short...like with = wit or right = rite. i mean come on...why even bother typing like that. you just sound like a retard...i really hate when people type like that. but hey its not a big deal at all really.

I don't see why it's so bad for people who believe grammar exists to be used to judge the people they like based upon it either.

JCpackers05 said:
well...lets see. the only thing i can honestly say annoys me is when someone types everything short...like with = wit or right = rite. i mean come on...why even bother typing like that. you just sound like a retard...i really hate when people type like that. but hey its not a big deal at all really.

one question: how do they "sound" like reatards if you cant here them. i'd rather see someone misspell a word than meet someone here that cant think for themselves.

KHgamer said:
One question: how do they "sound" like retards if you can't hear them? I'd rather see someone misspell a word than meet someone here who can't think for themselves.

First, when you read, you *hear* your mind's voice.

Second, and much more importantly, we are trying to point out that there is much more than mere correlation between the ability to think for oneself and the ability to express it in a language other people can understand.

I don't care if you figured out the meaning of life, if you cannot tell anyone else, what good is it?

Or since I'm so full of analogies today, take a car with a 500HP engine with no transmission. Language is the medium on which ideas are shared. Without using it properly, no idea can properly be explained.

KHgamer said:
one question: how do they "sound" like reatards if you cant here them. i'd rather see someone misspell a word than meet someone here that cant think for themselves.

:sick:

I think chatspeak is really shitspeak. Purposeful mispellings are terrible as well.

Why don't people use capital Is. I do!

Back