Bill Gates' Comments on the Wii

Sillyhat

The Crusher
May 21, 2006
Here is a quote from Bill Gates' about the Wii's controller:

Bill Gates said:
There's room for innovation here, but moving that controller around -- it's something that's not mainstream for most games. It's tough because sometimes you move the controller, and you don't [mean] to fly into the ground. You just want to put the controller down. People aren't that good at totally standing still. Even pilots actually sit in a chair when they do their flying. So there's a lot to be learned about these controllers.

Sounds like he's a little upset his next-gen system is the only without motion sensors.

Well you can expect that coming from a man of Microsoft. And ha!

Bill Gates said:
There's room for innovation here

Lol, I mean there can never be enough room for innovation. some people may want to try things differently while others do not mind. Im an open person and like the innovations that nintendo has introduced.

People aren't that good at totally standing still. Even pilots actually sit in a chair when they do their flying

I'm lazy, i'll admit it. i plan to play every game possible sitting down. i don't know why he thinks you'd have to stand up for a flying game....

also pretty good at standing still, 9 years of marching band will do that to you.

Uhm, he doesn't even really know how the controller works. I doubt that minor incremental or trivial movements are going to send your character flying into the ground. If it didn't work, would a successful company like Nintendo basically be hanging their hat on it? No. I've got no idea what the motivation behind his comment is for sure but it does seem misguided.

Funny how microsoft and especially sony are all about declaring they had motion control ideas or whatever first... want a cookie? Obviously nintendo is not the first ever to dream up something like this, but if all those people at E3 are telling the truth it looks like nintendo is the first to employ it effectively. The motion sensing microsoft wingman wasn't great (and bill's quote up there is partly what was wrong with it), PS3 motion detection is basic accelerometers (warioware). It's a big like analog, n64 did it right first - ever play intellivision (pre NES) with their crappy analog disc? Probably a good comparison here.

motion tec has been around for an age i remeber a psone pad that had it (it was rubish

phimuajedi69 said:
I'm lazy, i'll admit it. i plan to play every game possible sitting down. i don't know why he thinks you'd have to stand up for a flying game....

also pretty good at standing still, 9 years of marching band will do that to you.
ANOTHER BAND GEEK!!! *ahem*

OK, so Microsoft revealed one slight falaw in an otherwise awesome system, everyone needs to learn that games are meant to be played and not looked at.

Jajaja

JAjaja He is only upset because XBOX is bullshit and anybody will buy that after Wii and PS3 (PS3 too bu more Wii) are in sale hhe will lose his XBOX and anybody will play his stupid hallo and other stupid games like that one...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could play any Wii game sat down, and it's just a case of pointing the controller in a certain direction.

I was under the same impression though it may be hard to swing a bat or tennis racket sitting down so there is also those game which are being released.

Back