Christians

333Wii333 said:
jesus agreed to be hung and tortured for us but thts not all he REAPPEARED thts wht easter is my friend

Technically, Easter is dervied from the name of the goddess Eostre. Also the easter bunny character can be tied to her as well, in additional to the rabbit and eggs being Pagan fertility symbols coinciding with springtime. None of those things have any connection to Jesus' ressurrection.

Squall7 said:
Inspired, but not his own words. Heard of Chinese Whispers. Now take into account that the only ones that could read and write from the era, were the tools of what could be considered an 'educated' upper class - with values systems of their own. Thus to read the bible is to take an interpretation of an upperclass stranger that believes he is doing the work of God.

Right, not directly his own words (well not always), but definitely the ideas and direction. He would not allow the human writer to influence it so that is twisted into something that was not intended.

Also in the quote of the bible, it allows people to retell what God 'wants'. I thought God was meant to be perfect? How can the bible (which was supposedly influenced by God himself) need 'corrections'?

You've misunderstood the quote. It's saying that the Bible can be used FOR correction, not to be corrected.

Skippy said:
Right, not directly his own words (well not always), but definitely the ideas and direction. He would not allow the human writer to influence it so that is twisted into something that was not intended.
How do you know he would not? Doesn't it come down to choice? Working on the principle that there is the Christian God, wouldn't he allow people to make bad choices, and if not, then why does he allow bad choices to be made elsewhere in life? Of course, this implies that all the writers throughout time have been under the influence of God. And let me ask you one question, if God would not allow people to add their own ideas to the bible, why is there an old testament and a new testament?

You've misunderstood the quote. It's saying that the Bible can be used FOR correction, not to be corrected.
Implying that there's a single 'right' way to go. Is that all life is, a series of choices, whereby there is only one direction that leads to 'heaven', whilst all the rest lead to 'hell'?

Skippy said:
Technically, Easter is dervied from the name of the goddess Eostre. Also the easter bunny character can be tied to her as well, in additional to the rabbit and eggs being Pagan fertility symbols coinciding with springtime. None of those things have any connection to Jesus' ressurrection.
Lol....the easter that Christian families and many other families around the world is derived from the ressurection of Jesus Christ.

ssbb_lover said:
Lol....the easter that Christian families and many other families around the world is derived from the ressurection of Jesus Christ.
So is Christmas, despite the fact that Jesus was actually born in September. The reason it's celebrated in December, is because the idea of Christianity was thought to be more influential if it coincided with the native pagans winter festivals.

Moral: Just because something is celebrated today, doesn't mean that it has a real life basis for what we consider it celebrating for. Take for example, the fact that Christmas is celebrated on the annual calendar (always 25th Dec), yet Easter is celebrated on the lunar calendar (isn't on the same date every year).

ssbb_lover said:

Like I said before, the rabbit, eggs, and even the name "Easter" itself have no connection to the ressurrection of Christ. Do you see any of those in the Bible in connection with Jesus? I fully realize that most people see what we call Easter today as a celebration of Jesus' ressurrection, but most people don't know that the typical Easter decorations and customs come from religions and practices that are far removed from Christianity.

I use to be a huge christian until I started researching magic and witchcraft...but then I got a hold of myself and read the bible again and looked more into the ten commandments....
For me I think the whole concept of christianity is just something some people made up to control ....but thats just my thought....
for example dont commit adultery.....then I asked myself why! dont have sex before marrige....why! thats not going to hurt anyone, it should be up to the people! What you said about abortion....I still think it isnt right but it should be up to the people! If there really was a god why wouldnt he stop these things and show himself to the world!? Christianity raises to many question rather than answers and I wont listen to something that puts so much pressure that on me... people really shouldnt have to live in fear of going to hell! I think being a good person is enough.....and it would sure help our world!

Last edited:
Skippy said:
Like I said before, the rabbit, eggs, and even the name "Easter" itself have no connection to the ressurrection of Christ. Do you see any of those in the Bible in connection with Jesus? I fully realize that most people see what we call Easter today as a celebration of Jesus' ressurrection, but most people don't know that the typical Easter decorations and customs come from religions and practices that are far removed from Christianity.
Oh, I see what you mean now. I totally agree w/ you. :)

Squall7 said:
So is Christmas, despite the fact that Jesus was actually born in September.
No one knows when he was born. :p It is estimated though that he was born somewhere in the summer to fall, so you're about right. They just haven't found the EXACT time of his birth (or month for that matter). If you've got a site to go to or something that I could see that would prove me wrong, by all means post it. :) Just thought I'd point that out.

Squall7 said:
How do you know he would not? Doesn't it come down to choice? Working on the principle that there is the Christian God, wouldn't he allow people to make bad choices, and if not, then why does he allow bad choices to be made elsewhere in life?
You're drifting a bit from the original topic. I was referring specifically to the Bible being written under inspiration from God's Holy Spirit. Not the choices people make from day to day. The writers of the Bible did not walk around in a robot stupor under total control of God. But when it came time for God's direction to be recorded, he made sure that what was recorded was legit. Then he made sure that the various inspired writings were preserved and made available to us today.

Of course, this implies that all the writers throughout time have been under the influence of God. And let me ask you one question, if God would not allow people to add their own ideas to the bible, why is there an old testament and a new testament?
I don't follow you. That's like saying, "If people can get around by walking or driving, why are there cupcakes?"
The Bible is a whole piece - what we refer to as the Old Testament and the New Testament are part of the whole Bible.

Implying that there's a single 'right' way to go. Is that all life is, a series of choices, whereby there is only one direction that leads to 'heaven', whilst all the rest lead to 'hell'?
The short answer? Yes, there is a right way to go. But that doesn't mean there's no variety in the right path to take. God doesn't want us all to be identical clones, all making the exact same decisions for every matter.
But, there is certainly a right and wrong. I don't think anyone would argue with that. The main point of contention today is who gets to decide what is considered right and wrong.

Joe said:
dont have sex before marrige....why! thats not going to hurt anyone
Tell that to all the people who have contracted AIDS or other STD's and all the unplanned pregnancies.

If there really was a god why wouldnt he stop these things and show himself to the world!?
He will.

people really shouldnt have to live in fear of going to hell!
Agreed. That concept has done far more to damage Christianity than anything else.

ssbb_lover said:
No one knows when he was born. :p It is estimated though that he was born somewhere in the summer to fall, so you're about right. They just haven't found the EXACT time of his birth (or month for that matter). If you've got a site to go to or something that I could see that would prove me wrong, by all means post it. :) Just thought I'd point that out.
That kind of makes you wonder... if the date of Jesus' birth was so important that we're supposed to have a big ol' celebration, why wouldn't God have made sure we knew precisely when it was? Interestingly enough, the Bible does specifically state the date of his death.

Skippy said:
Tell that to all the people who have contracted AIDS or other STD's and all the unplanned pregnancies.
:lol: STDs would still be around even if people had sex after marriage and well you bring a point with the unplanned pregnancies....but it should still be up to the people!

Skippy said:
how can u be 4 sure

Skippy said:
You're drifting a bit from the original topic. I was referring specifically to the Bible being written under inspiration from God's Holy Spirit. Not the choices people make from day to day. The writers of the Bible did not walk around in a robot stupor under total control of God. But when it came time for God's direction to be recorded, he made sure that what was recorded was legit. Then he made sure that the various inspired writings were preserved and made available to us today.
Are you saying that the people that wrote the bible merely dictated what God was saying? How can you prove that God made sure the bible was recorded legitimately?

I don't follow you. That's like saying, "If people can get around by walking or driving, why are there cupcakes?"
The Bible is a whole piece - what we refer to as the Old Testament and the New Testament are part of the whole Bible.
Yet the old testiment says "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", yet the new testiment says "Turn the other cheek". Two different pieces of advice. Surely one of those sayings is wrong in God's eyes, therefore something that God didn't mean to be included in the bible clearly was.

The short answer? Yes, there is a right way to go. But that doesn't mean there's no variety in the right path to take. God doesn't want us all to be identical clones, all making the exact same decisions for every matter.
But, there is certainly a right and wrong. I don't think anyone would argue with that. The main point of contention today is who gets to decide what is considered right and wrong.
I'm not talking about morality. I'm talking about a path to 'heaven'. If there's soo many ways to stray from 'the path', why are we given 'free choice' to stray, and why does the path we lead, ever lead on to hell?

If it's up to us what is right or wrong, then what's the point, because we can be good in our own eyes, yet worthy to go to hell in God's eyes.

Skippy said:
AIDS can be contracted from other means (like mixing of blood). Likewise, if unplanned pregnancies are such a big thing, then why don't the Catholic church support contraceptives? It's circular reasoning to say "don't have sex before marriage because you'll have unwanted pregnancies" and say "You shouldn't be having sex before marriage anyway"

Do you actually realise that in the 80's there was soo much scare-mongering about AIDS in the homosexual community, that heterosexuals became the most likely ones to catch AIDS due to them thinking that only homosexuality spread it. Just a little nugget of off-topic information.

Last edited:
Joe said:
:lol: STDs would still be around even if people had sex after marriage and well you bring a point with the unplanned pregnancies....but it should still be up to the people!
How would you catch an STD?

If you and your new spouse had no previous sexual contact, it would be incredibly hard for either of you to catch them or already have them. There would be only rare cases of medical contamination or things like that.

Joe said:
how can u be 4 sure
Faith

;)

Squall7 said:
Have you ever thought that perhaps life isn't about being right. Don't forget to 'live' while you exist. Fact of the matter is, is that nobody can be sure of any belief. It's why they call it a 'belief' and not a 'fact'.

Oh and what if the Islam religion is right. I'm pretty sure that they believe in Mohammad just as much as you believe in Christ.
Well said. There is many religons out there and if you make the wrong choice then your screwed. Just live your life as it is and don't give a damn. That way you can ignore this and not worry. I'm not saying to be a bad ass but don't kiss a "god's" ass. If your not remotely bad then you won't have to worry about all this.

Squall7 said:
Yet the old testiment says "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", yet the new testiment says "Turn the other cheek". Two different pieces of advice. Surely one of those sayings is wrong in God's eyes, therefore something that God didn't mean to be included in the bible clearly was.
the old testiment is basicly just history and imortant storys we should know. before jesus, the only way to be forgiven was a sacrafice of a pure animal or in the case of murder, your own life. however when Jesus died for our sins, that paid for EVERYTHING as long as we accept him as out Lord and Savior. alot of things changed when Jesus came to earth

Back