Console Sales

Wii&Ps3 said:
Am I missing something here?
Are you the designated WiiChat PS3 defender?

There's a reason why there are so many stories regarding the less-than-stellar PS3 launch. It's because it was just that: less than stellar.

It's not like we're just pulling this stuff out of our ass. If the PS3 was doing well, it would be easily proven.

Again, units shipped does not equal units sold.

Still don't believe it? Read this report from an independent analysis.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12397

Last edited:
Since retailers are still ordering them (which is why sony has shipped 2 million) then thats means they are selling. Since you see so many on the shelves, did you stop and think that once they sell, they stick more on the shelf? I guess thats impossible :lol: The launch is doing awesome for a $500-$600 machine that everyone complains about. Just wait until march when the rest of the world gets a chance to buy it.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Since retailers are still ordering them (which is why sony has shipped 2 million) then thats means they are selling. Since you see so many on the shelves, did you stop and think that once they sell, they stick more on the shelf?

When do you ever walk into a store and see 15 of any console sitting on the shelf? Major retailers (Best Buy, Target, etc...) usually only reserve a spot for one or two consoles on the actual shelf. The fact that stores are displaying literal pyramids of PS3s tells me (and experts who know more than me, and definitely know more than you) that stores are looking to get these things out the door.

Be honest: Do you not read the facts?

I personally have nothing to gain from Wii selling more than PS3. I don't get satisfaction in one console out-selling another.

Stores such as Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart post signs in their electronics departments informing customers that there is an "overwhelming" demand for the Wii and to expect a difficult time obtaining one. There are no such signs for the PS3. Why? Because there is no overwhelming demand. Saying that there is a high demand because Sony shipped 2 million units to fulfill public demand simply isn't true and the numbers say so.

Why would EB games and other retailers offer special incentives in order to move PS3s? (I'm talking about the trading in your PS2 promotion).

Why would Valve, perhaps the finest PC gaming developer call the PS3, a supposed "PC", a "total disaster" while praising Nintendo?

This list can go on and on...in fact, it does. Here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543

The argument based upon PS3's sitting on shelves just shows how ignorant people are. This doesnt officially mean the PS3 isnt in high demand. The PS2 sold the most consoles at christmas and there on shelves in every single shop.

I will tell you the PS3 is in high demand worldwide. Only North America and Japan have had PS3's theres the rest of the world yet? So now look again at the figures the PS3 is doing very well for a console worth more than double the Wii.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Am I missing something here?

Yeah you said "Its sucks being proved wrong". Which implies that you are aware of your situation.

Also in response to Mr. NuFlo's opinion.

The PS2 has been around for a very long time and was a real success. The PS3 just launched and as such if there were a high demand for it they wouldn't have stock of them. Of course there are going to be many PS2's in stock, everyone still buys them. They are cheap and plentiful and have a nice size library of titles. There aren't any Wii's on the majority of shelves are there? Xbox360s were rare after their launch too. The PS3's are easy to get a hold of for a reason. I'll leave the rest up to you to figure out.

Maybe your an american with american ideals where the the sun evolves around you. There is high demand think outside of north america the PS3 hasnt arrived in europe and the rest of the world. That is what i am saying. The PS3 still has thousands of pre-orders to fullfill in the UK alone.

And dont use that trick the xbox360 was in high demand for many months because the 360 hardly sold any in Japan at all they still havent reached 400k after more than a year. They still had xbox 360 on the shelves on the first weekend of launch.

This argument is pointless as its not been released worldwide yet.

Last edited:
NuFLo said:
Maybe your an american with american ideals where the the sun evolves around you.
So the sun will eventually learn to walk upright and invent the wheel?

For anyone who thinks the PS3 will drop their system price. Think again. Sony made it clear in an interview they will take their time.

Stan Glasgow: If you go back to when DVDs came into play, it took about three years until they got into price points of $299 to $399. I suspect it's about the same thing here with Blu-ray. I think it's going to take up to three years to get down to those price points, possibly a little longer. But I would assume it's similar to DVD.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164270.html

Wii&Ps3 said:
The only source is sony themselves. Even they dont have an exact number, unless every single store reported to them what they sold.

I guess nobody wants the ps3 since its almost doubled what the 360 sold at launch :lol: I bet sony will sell 6 million by april easily.

you seem to bet alot for the ps3 when the only place i see them, isnt in peoples houses but on the shelves. And i doubt highly they will sell thay much by april, if at all.

Last edited:
Back