Darn you xbox.

So is there really an updated version that doesn't have this problem or no? If yes is it after a certain production date or something how do you tell it from an old one? Also is it true that the elite doesn't have this problem or is that just rumor? Has it been cnfirmed that heat causes the RROD? Thanks

Chewtoy said:
So is there really an updated version that doesn't have this problem or no? If yes is it after a certain production date or something how do you tell it from an old one? Also is it true that the elite doesn't have this problem or is that just rumor? Has it been cnfirmed that heat causes the RROD? Thanks

I made a thread asking if the elite had fixed it, it hasnt. The elite has exactly the same internals as the xbox 360 (besides some upgraded hard drive space).

The actual problem that causes the red ring is when the xbox rapidly heats up and cools down, the motherboard gets slightly warped. This happens to alot of electronics (including the wii) but to knowhere near as bigger scale.

SensesFail said:
maybe you should rent an xbox if its killing you so much not having one. i know id probably die cause i play mine every day. if its like 30 bucks for a week it might be worth it once you really start to miss it lol.
nah I can wait..i still got other stuff to keep me busy, its just that i dont want to go through the repair crap again, and its a hassle just to play a game and it really shouldnt be when the console costs over 300 bucks

Chewtoy said:

no, even the newest elites have the problem..i think the 360 will always have the problem, unless they change the chipset all together, which would make it a new system..probably by next christmas microsoft will step up their game..but for now all 360's have the risk of getting rrod..it sucks but its true

Jay588 said:
no, even the newest elites have the problem..i think the 360 will always have the problem, unless they change the chipset all together, which would make it a new system..probably by next christmas microsoft will step up their game..but for now all 360's have the risk of getting rrod..it sucks but its true

The annoying thing is, they don't give any prior warning. It could be working perfectly fine one day and you could turn it on the next morning and be greeted by the little red "up yours" from Micro$oft.

Luckily mine is still fine even since the release date :lol:

I like how you're thread title was changed to be more user friendly. :D On a darker note, my "repaired" 360 red lighted on me last night, but I turned it off and then pulled the hard drive out, blew dust out of the console and let it cool for the rest of the night. Tried again the next day and it worked, but I don't trust its integrity now. Too much Halo 3 I'm guessing, all the schools in my county have canceled classes for the rest of the week, even my college due to the massive amount of wildfires in the area spewing ash into the air making it difficult to breathe.

So has anyone gotten RROD while using an intercooler? Does that seem to help? I'm hoping to pick up my 360 here soon, but I don't want to risk frying it if there is a way it can be avoided.

Chewtoy said:
So has anyone gotten RROD while using an intercooler? Does that seem to help? I'm hoping to pick up my 360 here soon, but I don't want to risk frying it if there is a way it can be avoided.

The intercooler will make it less likely to get RROD. However, it will probably not guarantee it.

FRuMMaGe said:
The annoying thing is, they don't give any prior warning. It could be working perfectly fine one day and you could turn it on the next morning and be greeted by the little red "up yours" from Micro$oft.

Luckily mine is still fine even since the release date :lol:

thats what im talking about..i got it back from repair, really happy and ****..i couldnt play it right away i was busy that day, the very next day i finally have time to play it and the thing craps out within 40 minutes of it being on..it made me think about selling the 3rd one i get back from repairs because it has wasted enough of my time already lol

update, coffin came pretty quick..made another call and managed to get a free controller out of them..it still doesnt add up to all the aggrivation this system has caused, but ill accept it as a generous apology. on a bad note, my sisters bf's xbox just turned to **** tonight. its a little weird that the consoles are breaking down alot lately..my brothers will probably be next.

edit; the reason for double posting, i didnt want to add to the big reply above, it discourages people to read it lol

Very true.
I say if you cant get you're point across in a few words, then dont bother. Awsome that you got a controller Jay. If you think about it, those are kinda expensive.
Man, I hope you're next 360 doesnt break.

yeah, they gave me a bunch of choices like games and stuff, but the controller seemed the most useful. hey maybe theyll give me the halo edition, but doubt it. thanks for being concerned about my future xbox to come lol i figure 3rd times a charm ! lets damn hope so

I've gotten the RRoD error code look-alike, when i turned my 360 on a few times.... turns out it wasn't the RRoD, but that the big fat power pack was in an improper position (it was laying on top of it's own chord). The error code for the power pack looks exactly like the RRoD, and acts just like it.

Which makes me wonder whether or not 360 owners are mistaking that error code for the RRoD. Since that same error code can sometimes happen even if the power pack hasn't been touched since you first hooked it up.

Thing is, I go around here talking about how much I like my sexbox, it really sucks to think about this happining to you. I remember waiting for so fuggin long before I got mine back, but you got to do it twice in a row. This BS is making you miss out on a lot of gaming. Not cool.

Gikoku said:
I've gotten the RRoD error code look-alike, when i turned my 360 on a few times.... turns out it wasn't the RRoD, but that the big fat power pack was in an improper position (it was laying on top of it's own chord). The error code for the power pack looks exactly like the RRoD, and acts just like it.

Which makes me wonder whether or not 360 owners are mistaking that error code for the RRoD. Since that same error code can sometimes happen even if the power pack hasn't been touched since you first hooked it up.

yes, ive heard of this..and i tested to make sure, and unfortunately my system was just dead. if you take your power cord out and put it back in really fast it will make the rrod, i scared myself once before like that when i accidently knocked it out. but thanks for pointing that out, i forgot about that and people might have that problem and are shitting bricks thinking their system is ruined

Tails McCloud~ said:
Thing is, I go around here talking about how much I like my sexbox, it really sucks to think about this happining to you. I remember waiting for so fuggin long before I got mine back, but you got to do it twice in a row. This BS is making you miss out on a lot of gaming. Not cool.

yeah, well i can play my brothers but its just not the same, i dont even want to play it i'm so sick of microsoft right now lol but if i get a nice working one back, it will put me in the mood to play again for sure

Last edited:
Well man I guess all I got left to say is good luck (and get some sleep. It's friggin 3:45 in the morning, lol)

Back