Got VirtuaTennis 2009 Today!

I'm guessing that the PS3 version will get the same rating as the Wii one regardless of controls on IGN, much like they rated PES2008 the same despite the Wii version being better. Whether that is because they are lazy and copy n paste reviews or because the Wii just has a higher rating standard i'm not sure.

Not that it matters, all that does is how VT and GST compare to each other. They both have reviews on metacritic but none of the same sources, so we can't really use that for comparisson.

Hopefully IGN's VT review will be up tomorrow but I'll check on the first impressions here.

From what I saw in that review it seemed like their problem was that the game was just too difficult for them. So either the controls are very hard or they simply have a lack of skill. By IGN's review it seems like it is probably the latter as they didn't seem to have as much trouble.

Heck if that's due to real life accuracy then I'm all in!! I've been waiting a lifetime for this!!!

Last edited:
I watched IGN's latest video (from yesterday) on GST. I don't care for the character's movements. They're not very smooth... they're very WiiSports Tennis-like. The ball appears to be about four times the size of a regular ball, and as the Eurogamer review noted, the court appears narrower than a real court.

I suspect none of this will affect playability, but I figured I'd mention it. VT09 is very smooth and everything appears to be to scale (from what I can remember -- I'm in the office today and not at home, so I can't fire it up to see).

The upside is that I'm only ten minutes from GameStop when I cut out of here in a couple hours, compared to 20 minutes from home. :)

Oh... one very annoying "feature" of VT09 I've been meaning to post about since last night, is that my player keeps running around the backhand, and it throws me totally off because when he does, and I do a backhand swing, he doesn't swing. Grrr. Maybe it's another thing WMP will fix.

My backhand (in real tennis) works just fine; I don't run around it. :)

Rob

I got this game and wii motion plus today and its really great. best tennis game I have played and its pretty accurate. there is a learning curve especially if u played a lot of wii tennis because the conrols are much more precise. after some practice though the game plays really smooth and feels very natural

Ok, I'm home with GST and WMP. First thing I did was plug in the WMP and fire up VT09 to see the difference. WOW! Nice improvement. It's way more accurate now. It still does weird/stupid stuff every now and then, but I like it a lot more.

After winning a couple of practice matches, and another tournament, I saved my game and then fired up GST.

I'll admit I've only had it in for about 15-20 min, but so far, I MUCH prefer VT09. It's way more precise. With VT09 I feel like I'm playing tennis. With GST I feel like I'm playing a video game of tennis.

The characters in GST jutter around too much. You never know which way they're going to go for a shot, becasue they won't even instinctively go for the side where the ball is. They just jump around, and you miss half the shots because of it.

I'm going to keep at it for a while, and hopefully I can post better results later tonight.

Rob

Well I got Grand Slam, and with MotionPlus I'd say it's pretty accurate, and it proves for a fun game.

Don't get me started on Tiger Woods '10 though... Wow that game is amazing.

i just bought GST today w/ motion plus also with tiger woods GPA 2010.

My VT09 Friend code is 3738-6972-1677. Jag, I'll add you now...

I'm kinda fed up with GST for the moment. I'm back to playing VT. I'll deal with GST more tomorrow.

So Tiger Woods is that good huh? I may have to get it too.

Rob

Yeah I got my VT2009 and M+ today, all I can say:

"Is Upstanding" , "Simply the BEST TENNIS GAME EVER"

"I recomend everyone to buy this game and AVOID GST"

Virtual Tennis 2009 is by FAR BETTER!!

Why would you avoid GST? I'm sure they're both great tennis games in their own right, at least GST is. Give them both a rent first if you aren't sure.

I went with EA and I'm happy. :3

I went with EA also i like that tennis game. I have EA sports active also I like EA sports games. I also reserved Ghostbusters for wii cus i dont have a ps3, 370 or ps2 as of yet.
and i bought EA's tiger wood GPA 2010...all i have to say is man the m+ is fantastic

Yeah I got my VT2009 and M+ today, all I can say:

"Is Upstanding" , "Simply the BEST TENNIS GAME EVER"

"I recomend everyone to buy this game and AVOID GST"

Virtual Tennis 2009 is by FAR BETTER!!

Why avoid GST? GST is still good, to each their own.

I'm not yet convinced that GST sucks; it's just very different. I don't want to write it off just yet.

Rob

For the love of God, I'm very sorry, and I'm not really assed, but it's killing me inside every time you do it.

It's Tiger Woods PGA 2010. Not GPA. You know, PGA as in Professional Golfers' Association.

Back