Got VirtuaTennis 2009 Today!

If the Wii Sports Resort has golf, I can't imagine that it will be anywhere near the quality of the TW golf. I would think it would be just a short golf game like the one in Wii Sports. I'm not really a golfer and don't know if I would take the time to play the golf, but I'm sure tempted to get it just reading the reviews here. The disc golf sounds cool too.

Wii Sports Resort does indeed have golf. I believe that it is slightly expanded from Wii Sports but still won't offer all the modes that Tiger Woods does. There are plenty of other reasons to still buy WSR even if you have TW'10 though, the main ones being the jet ski and swordfighting.

I bought Tiger Woods because I wanted motion plus now and because it came bundled. If they'd had GST bundled I'd have bought that instead but I'm really enjoying TW'10 despite hating the sport in real life.

There still are very few Virtua Tennis reviews around. IGN's is supposed to be up this week but I can't help wonder why its taking so long. Maybe they are holding off in order to push GST more or perhaps it is taking so long because they think that VT2009 is just a bad game and they can't be bothered with it. Either way their review score will be interesting.

I'm really surprised by the poor reviews about Grand Slam Tennis. It takes awhile to get down the motions but once you feel comfortable with them the online games are fantastic. Personally I would have given this game 8.5 out of 10. Funny thing too is that Metacritic shows the different reviews for it and they got from 90's down to 50's. Big differences between reviewers.

Wii games are mostly love it or hate it. If you're lazy, not into sports, or tennis, or not into motion controls then you're pretty much not going to like it or have patience to learn it. Some of these reviewers are getting paid to do their job which is to play games, review games, then move on to different games. This and the lack of HD graphics is why most Wii games are always going to be rated lower than they should be.

Wii games are mostly love it or hate it. If you're lazy, not into sports, or tennis, or not into motion controls then you're pretty much not going to like it or have patience to learn it. Some of these reviewers are getting paid to do their job which is to play games, review games, then move on to different games. This and the lack of HD graphics is why most Wii games are always going to be rated lower than they should be.

Wii games are not being rated lower because the reviewers dislike motion controls or it lacks HD graphics. :lol:

Most companies have specific people review certain consoles, so the people reviewing the Wii games will obviously like the motion controls.

Then just because it doesn't have HD graphics it won't be reviewed lower. If this were the case, all Wii games would be rated shitty since they can't look as good as 360/PS3 titles.

Wii games are not being rated lower because the reviewers dislike motion controls or it lacks HD graphics. :lol:

Most companies have specific people review certain consoles, so the people reviewing the Wii games will obviously like the motion controls.

Then just because it doesn't have HD graphics it won't be reviewed lower. If this were the case, all Wii games would be rated shitty since they can't look as good as 360/PS3 titles.

Actually some reviewers do rate lower for motion controls and graphics. Take Ghostbusters for example, IGN had the same reviewer for all 3 versions (bit of a rarity). He rated the PS3/360 versions 8.0 and the Wii 7.8 but his main reason for scoring the Wii lower was that it used the IR pointer to aim (as in a FPS), he said he didn't like the control scheme and would prefer something like RE:4 instead. The other reviewers take was that the FPS style aimimg was far superior to RE:4 style and if you liked Wii controls you could bump the score up to a solid 8.0.

Another game seemingly marked lower for no reason would PES, which is a much better game on Wii yet scored the same as the PS3/360 versions, I'd presume that they were purely bumped up because of graphics. Some reviewers just don't like motion controls or love HD graphics, while they will try to remain impartial it is only natural that personal preferences will sneak through from time to time.

It does seem a lot easier to get a PS3/360 game scoring a 9.0 on IGN than it is for a Wii game, perhaps because the PS3/360 reviewers are more easy going or just wowed by pretty graphics.

Virtua Tennis actually scored better on the Wii though so perhaps the trend is changing.

Some companies such as IGN have specific people that review certain consoles but not all of them. Some companies have employees that review games for all consoles. Most reviewers are hardcore gamers who are against casual and motion control games. Some are very comfortable w/ the dual analog stick design so waggling your arms around just seems so pointless to them. They also despise the Wii because they're afraid that hardcore developers will start making casual games or motion control games instead. Some also think that the Wii is only for kids or grannys. It's best to look at IGN's reviews or the highest rated ones for Wii games due to this problem. Once motion contol becomes standard for all systems then all reviewers wouldn't be so biased anymore.

Actually some reviewers do rate lower for motion controls and graphics. Take Ghostbusters for example, IGN had the same reviewer for all 3 versions (bit of a rarity). He rated the PS3/360 versions 8.0 and the Wii 7.8 but his main reason for scoring the Wii lower was that it used the IR pointer to aim (as in a FPS), he said he didn't like the control scheme and would prefer something like RE:4 instead. The other reviewers take was that the FPS style aimimg was far superior to RE:4 style and if you liked Wii controls you could bump the score up to a solid 8.0.

Another game seemingly marked lower for no reason would PES, which is a much better game on Wii yet scored the same as the PS3/360 versions, I'd presume that they were purely bumped up because of graphics. Some reviewers just don't like motion controls or love HD graphics, while they will try to remain impartial it is only natural that personal preferences will sneak through from time to time.

It does seem a lot easier to get a PS3/360 game scoring a 9.0 on IGN than it is for a Wii game, perhaps because the PS3/360 reviewers are more easy going or just wowed by pretty graphics.

Virtua Tennis actually scored better on the Wii though so perhaps the trend is changing.
The knocked score wasn't because he didn't like motion controls, but because it wasn't up to a standard he felt RE4 set.

Some companies such as IGN have specific people that review certain consoles but not all of them. Some companies have employees that review games for all consoles. Most reviewers are hardcore gamers who are against casual and motion control games. Some are very comfortable w/ the dual analog stick design so waggling your arms around just seems so pointless to them. They also despise the Wii because they're afraid that hardcore developers will start making casual games or motion control games instead. Some also think that the Wii is only for kids or grannys. It's best to look at IGN's reviews or the highest rated ones for Wii games due to this problem. Once motion contol becomes standard for all systems then all reviewers wouldn't be so biased anymore.

I pray motion controls won't become standard for all systems. Or I guess I'm going PC...

I pray motion controls won't become standard for all systems. Or I guess I'm going PC...

If I was IGN's or Gamespot's manager, I'd hire you to review Wii games. Why? So readers can get a good laugh cuz I know that you'll probably rate all of them below 5 out of a 100. :lol:

If I was IGN's or Gamespot's manager, I'd hire you to review Wii games. Why? So readers can get a good laugh cuz I know that you'll probably rate all of them below 5 out of a 100. :lol:

Just because I dislike motion controls doesn't mean I dislike them with the Wii in mind. Still, I'd love to be a reviewer. And yeah, I'd rate Zelda lower, since it's basically the same thing every game. But I would give fair reviews.

Just because I dislike motion controls doesn't mean I dislike them with the Wii in mind. Still, I'd love to be a reviewer. And yeah, I'd rate Zelda lower, since it's basically the same thing every game. But I would give fair reviews.

Well in the direction Zelda is heading in [not including unannounced game] I would too. PH and ST are horrible. I disagree with the same thing, the story is usually different. Predictable, but, different.

I have to agree that I hope all games aren't going towards motion control. Some games just aren't that great with them, and to me, SSX Blur is one of 'em. I LOVED the series on the PS2, but have only played it twice on the Wii. I just can't get into the controls. I'm glad EA will have a new SSX for the PS3 in the not too distant future.

Likewise, as much as I love Tiger Woods on the Wii, I've been playing the PS3 version for the last several days, because I pulled my right shoulder really bad while playing tennis last week, so using the motion control wasn't an option.

Oh btw, the IGN review of VT09 for the PS3 is so bad (6.0) that I'm sending my copy back to amazon.com unopened.

Rob

I just started playing the game without the nunchuck and I must say it actually works a lot better

Isn't motion control the main reason people buy Wii's? Otherwise, why settle for the inferior graphics when you can get much better on an XBox or PS3? The motion control is the only reason I own a Wii.

Back