If You Turn Up Your Ipod All The Way Can It Hurt Your Hearing?

lol@segema
I knew this when I was small

Apple restricted the voloume on the iPods about 3 years ago, they used to be a lot louder, but now it's pretty much nothing.

Your hearing may already be damaged. What makes it tricky is that the damage to your hearing may not be evident right away. The damage you're doing now by playing it too loud may not be noticable for months or even years - even if you stop playing it too loud right now.

Listening to your iPod at full blast everyday can eventually have a negative effect on your hearing. I have my music playing at about 50% of the maximum volume so that I can hear what is going on around me as well as enjoy the music at the same time.

CyanRussel said:
Your kidding right?:scared: If not, listening to my MP3 on full blast is over

*touches his ears*
*Says im sorry for being so ignorant*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That made me crack up real bad. Hilarious.

But YES, any headphones turned up too loud can damage your ears. Loud music and playing the drums has messed my ears up pretty bad. And my mom just had to get hearing aids, and she is pretty young for that. Which kinda scares me. I have started to wear ear plugs while playing or at a concert. My girlfriend used to get really mad at me. She thought I never listened to her, but now she knows that it's because I really can't hear her.

Yes it can, come on now, use some common sense, extremely loud music directly in your ear. I don't know about the older models but my 30 gig vid ipod has a volume level I can lock kind of like a master volume control, so It appears to be maxed out but in reality is just at a loud enough volume to satisfy blocking out most other noise.

Yeah that's right, listening to your Ipod on full blast in not a good idea! As TitansATB has said, Ipods can reach 110 db which can permanently damage you ears if you listen to that volume for long periods of time. :yesnod:

Yeah, I have to wear hearing-aids so I can't even listen to iPod's etc. But I have special leads so I can, can't wait for my iPod touch. Anyway, I was born like this so I guess it won't bother me if I turn mine on full blast :)

110db isn't even that loud, seeing as how a normal conversation is averaged at 60db, double that and it's a little bit less, doesn't sound to bad to me.

Gaz said:
110db isn't even that loud, seeing as how a normal conversation is averaged at 60db, double that and it's a little bit less, doesn't sound to bad to me.

lmao, you haven't done sound in physics? It's not a linear scale.

L= 10 log [I/I(0)]

Where L is the loudness in dB and I is the intensity in W/m^2 and I(0) refers to the threshold of human hearing, i.e 10^-12 W/m^2.

Hence a sound of 60dB has an intensity of 1 x 10^-6 W/m^2 and a sound of 110dB has an intensity of 0.1 W/m^2

Thus a sound of 110 dB is 10000 times more intense then a sound 60 dB that's why it's equivalent to a very loud rock concert :)

Last edited:
Eagles said:
lmao, you haven't done sound in physics? It's not a linear scale.

L= 10 log I/I(0)

Where L is the loudness in dB and I is the intensity in W/m^2 and I(0) refers to the threshold of human hearing, i.e 10^-12 W/m^2.

Hence a sound of 60dB has an intensity of 1 x 10^-6 W/m^2 and a sound of 110dB has an intensity of 0.1 W/m^2

Thus a sound of 110 dB is 10000 times more intense then a sound 60 dB that's why it's equivalent to a very loud rock concert :)

You just lost about everyone there with the calculations, but I somewhat understand it's been a few years since I've taken some physics, but yea 110 is pretty loud.

blueovalboy7 said:
You just lost about everyone there with the calculations, but I somewhat understand it's been a few years since I've taken some physics, but yea 110 is pretty loud.

I revised those calcs recently so it gave me some more practice ;) It might of been easier to follow if Wii Chat had super script rather then me having to use the ^ key

Eagles said:
I revised those calcs recently so it gave me some more practice ;) It might of been easier to follow if Wii Chat had super script rather then me having to use the ^ key

Yea I think superscript would've helped, but yea people who think 110 db isn't loud do not understand sound.

Eagles said:
lmao, you haven't done sound in physics?
ok it's been 2 years since i did physics, and even then sound as in the db was not covered at a-levels, and didn't choose to look it up.

so thanks for the info, very intresting :)

If you listen to any mp3 player or cd player at full blast for for a really long time, it can ruin your ears, heck even classical music and thats almost the softest most relaxed music there is, that can also heard your ears, look at Beethoven he loved loud music, told his orchestra play louder and louder and later in life he went deaf and thought about killing himself, but then some of it was his dads fault, his father made his son play the piano everyday until dawn, and if little beethoven mafde one error his father smacked his sons ears across with a ruler. i've listened to heavymetal loud but recently a bone in my left eardrum ever now and then its throbbing in pain.

Back