If You Turn Up Your Ipod All The Way Can It Hurt Your Hearing?

Gaz said:
ok it's been 2 years since i did physics, and even then sound as in the db was not covered at a-levels, and didn't choose to look it up.

so thanks for the info, very intresting :)

No probs :)

uh oh...

I listen to my iPod usually from 90%+. The genre of music I listen to is punk so it can be calm and quiet one second...and loud the next second. if the music isn't steady and one volume (even if i don't turn it up/down) can it still have the same effect?

sorry if that does not make much sense. ill rephrase the best i can if necessary.

I just lost most of my respect for gaz. lol.

Anyways, how can you NOT know that loud things in your ears makes you hear less....just like staring at the sun can make you blind and touching hot things can make you lose your sense of feeling....

It's best to listen to music with a bit of air in between. If you have access to a stereo while your listening, do it. When running or biking, hang them on your shoulders and turn up the volume more, it's a lot safer to hear outside noises in those situations anyways.

If you must turn your MP3 player (stop calling them i-pods dammit) louder to get rid of excess bg noise, pick up a pair of noise canceling headphones, there's even effective noise canceling ear-buds if you're worried about the form factor.

This is a huge problem, especially for the world's youth.

Most people won't stop listening to their MP3 player (I almost said iPod Brawny, lol) at full blast until they see the effects that it has had on the world. This might not happen for a while, but the effects will be massive (kind of like smoking cigarettes).

I have never listened to my iPod at full blast. My mum's an audiologist, so she had already warned me of the risks of MP3s before I got mine.

In a decade there will be so many people with hearing impairments that some change will be made. It's just sad that people have to lose hearing for this stupid cause.

Oh - and good posts Brawny and Eagles. Also ARav989 for listening to punk :D.

If you want to be able to hear your music from your MP3 player without damaging your ears but not hear other noice sources so much whilst listening, then you should get some proper over the ear headphones with cushioning to keep away outside noise. I thought this was obvious: the damage in-ear head phones do when cracking up the volume all the way.

The free in-ear headphones you get with MP3 players are really bad for hearing and do no good at keeping out other noises. Admittedly it costs a bit to get a decent pair of over the ear headphones, but it is well worth the investment if you wish to retain near perfect hearing for the rest of your life or least until you get really old.

Brawny said:
I just lost most of my respect for gaz. lol.
Hahaha, one mistake can ruin it all.
*note to self, never get involved in a subject you don't know enough about, it will come back to bite you on the ass*

Gaz said:
Hahaha, one mistake can ruin it all.
*note to self, never get involved in a subject you don't know enough about, it will come back to bite you on the ass*
I think that should be sig material for someone.

milliways said:
The free in-ear headphones you get with MP3 players are really bad for hearing and do no good at keeping out other noises. Admittedly it costs a bit to get a decent pair of over the ear headphones, but it is well worth the investment if you wish to retain near perfect hearing for the rest of your life or least until you get really old.

Exactly. I spent about the same amount on my mp3 player as the headphones that go with it.

Back