Marriage Overrated?

That it's over rated and too many people get married that shouldn't....

I don't exactly think they shouldn't get married. Is expecting too much out of marriage the same thing as marriage being overrated?

The people who cause the high rate, those that are in prosperous marriages, aren't exactly lying.

Is expecting too much out of marriage the same thing as marriage being overrated?

Yes, I would consider the society-defined expectations of something exceeding the reality of something just about the definition of being over rated.

The people who cause the high rate, those that are in prosperous marriages, aren't exactly lying.
I see what you're saying here. But, I still think that for the general population they will find that marriage ends up being over-rated. Sure it works out great for some people, and of course those people wouldn't consider it over-rated, but there are so many people that it does not work out for.

I don't know, the word "overrated" just seems like marriage never had the possibility of making the couple as happy as they believed when they entered it.

I think it can, they just don't know how to approach it to get that sort of satisfaction out of it. As someone's already said, if pre-nups are on your mind, you're doomed from the start.

Also, one can argue that marriage is underrated. Look at the media especially. Every single comedy that has a married couple goes by the cliche formula. A couple cute kids, stupid father, painfully witty mother. Father's parents live nearby and are evil.

And how many "there's no sex after marriage" jokes can you possibly use before they get old?

I don't know, the word "overrated" just seems like marriage never had the possibility of making the couple as happy as they believed when they entered it.

I think it can, they just don't know how to approach it to get that sort of satisfaction out of it. As someone's already said, if pre-nups are on your mind, you're doomed from the start.

Also, one can argue that marriage is underrated. Look at the media especially. Every single comedy that has a married couple goes by the cliche formula. A couple cute kids, stupid father, painfully witty mother. Father's parents live nearby and are evil.

And how many "there's no sex after marriage" jokes can you possibly use before they get old?

True, true.

Really if you think about it the only people qualified to answer this question are those who are married.

^ In that case, no, it certainly isn't overrated.

Isn't that like saying that the only people qualified to debate about the death penalty are people who've been executed?

Heh, I don't think it's quite like that.

In order to say something is over rated you really have to experience it in the first place.

It's like saying "(insert game here) is over rated. I've never played it but it's over rated."

that pretty much covers everybody loves raymond.

you ever watched king of queens? no kids, parent in the basement.

what about married with children, couldnt be any further from your example.

most sitcoms dont even have married couples in it, and the ones that do, generally arent funn (according to jim, george lopez etc)

the good sitcoms are the non married ones, ie seinfeld, how i met your mother, drew carey show etc.

Back