Opinions on PS4

Sony talks PS3 improvements, PS4 timetable

Late last month(NOV 2006), executive shake-ups at Sony prompted one Japanese analyst to make a bold prediction: Sony was moving out of the gaming-hardware business and focusing solely on software. "I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4," said Nomura Securities' Yuta Sakurai.

Sony was quick to rebut the claim, with a rep telling GameSpot, "I think it would be rather shortsighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product."

As for when to expect a new Sony console, one exec claims that the company's fans shouldn't expect the next PlayStation any sooner than the typical console life cycle allows. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice president of technology Paul Holman reportedly told Australian tech site Smarthouse that Sony will launch a PlayStation 4, but not any sooner than 2010.

Until then, Sony will continue to upgrade the PlayStation 3 through firmware updates that will allow "for the introduction of third-party applications and hardware such as interactive controllers similar to Nintendo's Wii..." the site reported. The PS3's current controller, the Sixaxis, already has motion- and tilt-sensing capability.

The PS3 may also come with a keyboard and mouse in the future, be able to download third-party operating systems, and become "as much a media center for the home as it is a gaming machine," said Holman. His words echo statements made by Sony executives that the PS3's online store will offer downloadable music and video content, much like iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace currently do.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162787.html?page=4

i thought the ps3 would last a little longer than the last console sony made (ps2) (5 years) before they came out with another one. Instead of the 5 years I thought maybe 7 or 8? :S

@DarkPrinny: That's exactly what I was thinking. BTW, love the navy penguins or prinnys.

Prinnies
Loads of them
(the pic was taken from a damn good doujinshi)

anyone who assumes anything is just being ignorant at this point
6 months into a consoles life means its still just a baby
average life span is 5 years, but for ps3, they say they want it to be 10 years, so how could we predict that far into the future from just 6 months?
btw, why isnt this is in the playstation section?
Battles said:
yeah Rumor is that Sony will not make a Ps4
yah bullllshittttt
rumor for little fanboys, maybe.

Of course there will be a PS4. As technology improves, the demand for sufficient console power will constantly be active. With that, Sony won't pull a SEGA and abandon its loyal fans. On the verge of the PS4 is probably when I'll buy a PS3, anyway.

Sovieto said:
anyone who assumes anything is just being ignorant at this point
6 months into a consoles life means its still just a baby
average life span is 5 years, but for ps3, they say they want it to be 10 years, so how could we predict that far into the future from just 6 months?
btw, why isnt this is in the playstation section?

yah bullllshittttt
rumor for little fanboys, maybe.

Sony have a crystal ball

sadly its faulty

Fans wouldn't want one, they'd have to build up their money right now for the PS4. Jesus Christ, I'd like Sony to think of another name for a console though...

And, personally, I don't want to know that much about it, I like to live in the present, not the future. Not like, 5, 6 years ahead.

XD @ Kiwi.

ok people said it'll last logner than the ps2, i don't think so because then ninty and microsoft will come up with new consoles that would probably be cheaper/ better than the ps3, making ps4 come out around when xbox 1080 and nintendo 5

There will definitely be a PS4 sometime in the future. I don't think Sony will abandon something that clearly brings in the cash.

Back