Pokemon of the Week

Sadly it is. Nick doesn't actually write his articles, I do it for 'em since he's far more of a lazy-finned fish than I am. Ungrateful bastard.

Pokemon of the Week #20 (2/07/2013)

Medicham

120px-308Medicham.png

Medicham, the Meditate Pokemon. Through crushingly harsh yoga training and the power of meditation, Medicham developed a sixth sense. It gained the ability to use psychokinetic powers. It is said that through meditation, Medicham heightens energy inside its body and further sharpens its sixth sense. This Pokémon is known to meditate for a whole month without eating. It gains the ability to see the aura of its opponents by honing its mind through a combination of food deprivation and meditation. This allows it to sense what others are thinking. In battle, it elegantly avoids attacks with dance-like steps, then launches a devastating counterblow in the same motion.

Though the aesthetics of this design are a complete and utter (ugly) failure, the origins behind it are relatively interesting. As one might expect from a Fighting type yoga-practitioner Pokemon, it's design seems to stem from Indian tradition; it even strongly resembles some Hindu deities. With a shawl-like headpiece and bedlah pants, this further confirms it's Middle-Eastern lore's origins. Speakin' of, despite the sheer ugliness Game Freak bestowed upon Medicham's design, as previously stated I do at least like it's lore. A Fighting type that honed it's mind to inadvertently obtain it's polar opposite type is certainly neat. I can dig the whole "rigorous training in the mountains" deal as well; you'd think more Fightin' types would have that sort'a background.

... Still, ya really can't overstate how Medicham ain't winnin' even Normal rank Beauty contests...

Competitively, Medicham's always been known for it's ridiculous attack power thanks to it's ability Pure Power, which doubles it's measly base 60 Attack (a meager 240 maximum) to a maddening 480. It's typing isn't ideal, nor are it's defenses, but this Sheer Force (Eh? Eh?!) has always supported the fact that Medicham is a dangerous threat. Combine that with the omnipotence of Hi Jump Kick, and you've got the original Rampardos; or glass cannon, rather; right here. But just like Rampardos, it was never high in the tiers; outside Generation 3, wherein it was OU. Raw power can only do you so much when you've no speed, defense, or good typin' to back it up. If you switch Medicham in on even a rather average damaging attack, odds are it's gonna faint.

Also, I ain't gonna be writin' gigantic competitive sections no more. They're TL;DR even for anyone who might care t' read 'em, so I might as well put the effort into somethin' less lame... which would be PotW-ing pre-evolutions!

Meditite, (also) the Meditate Pokemon. Meditite undertakes rigorous mental training deep in the mountains, continually meditating for hours every day. However, whenever it meditates, this Pokémon always loses its concentration and focus. As a result, its training never ends. It levitates when it heightens its spiritual power through meditation. It survives on just one berry a day.

Meditite really is just a youngin' Medicham; literally the same lore but with the obvious influence that it hasn't yet mastered it's mind nor body and is still growing. 'Least it's less fugly. :lol: Not much t' say 'bout this particular pre-evolution, 'sides the fact it's palette swapped design is executed better.

I really gotta stop using your failure to update as an excuse for me to do the same.

I'm tired of the confusion, so we'll lay out a plan here. Next week (hopefully Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, but you know me...) it's my turn, and then the week after it's Karpy's again.

And for an actual comment on this week's Pokemon, yuck, Medicham. And Meditite. They both look awful.

'Till then I owe a few anyways. As I said when I put up PotW #19, less my memory gets the better of me, I'll be pumpin' out moar text mountains. Namely covering pre-evolutions of past Pokes I've had as my own PotW 'till it's time for me t' do a new one, which means they won't actually be humongous text walls. What a shame...

I also gotta update the second post with links....

Back