PS3 and Wii Controller information you should know.

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
There have been many many many misconceptions concerning the motion sensoring technology used in both the PS3 and the Wii.

A lot of Wii fanboys here are complaining about PS3s stolen technology. Which is quite ironic, due to the fact that both Nintendo and Sony reused someone elses technology for their own controllers.

My Points are this:

1. The Playstation 3 controller was used before for the playstation 1.
2. Motion Sensoring controllers have been around since around 1997 for gaming.
3. The Nintendo Wii stole patented technology for their controller.
4. The PS3 and Wii use old technology that is both NOT theirs.
5. Who cares who stole what as long as it gets used for the benefit of gamers everywhere.

ok now lets get into details.

1. Pellican, a third party company released a controller for the PS1 which included the tilt control technology, sensing movement when the controller when turned at different angles, it included rumble feature as well. This was in 1999. Sony just reused and improved on this PS1 controller for their PS3.
(cant find a current picture, but I was able to find this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOBtMMWteA)

2. In 1997 Microsoft released a side winder freestyle controller which included the same exact technology as mentioned in (1.). This was for the PC.
fsprotate2mw0.gif

3. Nintendo used patented technology from Interlink. The combination between interlinks remote and microsoft/pellicans motion controllers is what the Wiimote is. Its not original. Its not new Nintendo technology. Its ripped just like everything else is in this generation of gaming consoles.
interlinkwiimotegc0.jpg

Last i heard, interlink is preparing a lawsuite against nintendo.

4. Both the Wii and the PS3 use technology that is not new nor their own. The rumble feature found in controllers was made by Immersion. Sony and Microsoft in 2002 were sued by Immersion. This is the real reason Sony does not have a rumble feature in their new controller, but it seems agreements are being made for a new PS3 controller with this function. Microsoft, with their money has already payed off Immersion. Nintendo? They are still looking to that, however they cant escape Interlink unfortunately.

5. All that should matter, is the relisation that no console is stealing technology from another console, as they all have stole their stuff from someone else to begin with. As gamers we should be looking at who does it better, not who took what from whome. Because if we start playing the blame game, when the facts surface everyones just gonna look stupid.

I think this is important for both PS3 and Wii owners to know so no more blame games start poppin up.

First of the PS1 is just talking about tilt and a little motion sensor. Nothing at ALL like the Wiimote how can you even bring that up as the FIRST motion sensor controller when it barely did anything comparable what the Wiimote is doing right now? You're point #2 is for THE PC...we're talking about gaming consoles so it has no relevance. As for Interlink they're a little company that just wants attention. They are ONLY claiming that Nintendo "stole" their technology. And I just searched on Google and some people are saying its unlikely Nintendo will fork over any money to them since they designed it to be used for a totally different purpose. The bottom line is that yeah Microsoft and Nintendo may have stolen little things in the PAST but its NOTHING compared to the Grand Larceny that Sony has commited over its tenure.

Once again you sony fanboys show you're major hardon for "new technology" or "new graphics". Its not always about that. Who cares what year this technology is? Its working perfectly fine for the majority of games and milions of people enjoy the NEW, innovative method of playing games (in conjuction w/ the nunchuk).

EDIT: Those diagrams may look a little similar but they're not like the motion sensor bar of the or the Wiimote. I mean there are no buttons on that crap for goodness sakes.

Let's leave it at this:

If company's didn't copy or make a similar clone of ideas or concepts from another company, the world would not be where it is today.

FR. said:
Let's leave it at this:

If company's didn't copy or make a similar clone of ideas or concepts from another company, the world would not be where it is today.

Bingo! we have a winner. Its not bad that they copy and make better. Fanboys just need to stop whining about it as in the end, everyone ends up stealing from something else.

My closing argument was this
5. Who cares who stole what as long as it gets used for the benefit of gamers everywhere.

MasterJedi2U said:
First of the PS1 is just talking about tilt and a little motion sensor. Nothing at ALL like the Wiimote how can you even bring that up as the FIRST motion sensor controller when it barely did anything comparable what the Wiimote is doing right now? You're point #2 is for THE PC...we're talking about gaming consoles so it has no relevance. As for Interlink they're a little company that just wants attention. They are ONLY claiming that Nintendo "stole" their technology. And I just searched on Google and some people are saying its unlikely Nintendo will fork over any money to them since they designed it to be used for a totally different purpose. The bottom line is that yeah Microsoft and Nintendo may have stolen little things in the PAST but its NOTHING compared to the Grand Larceny that Sony has commited over its tenure.

Once again you sony fanboys show you're major hardon for "new technology" or "new graphics". Its not always about that. Who cares what year this technology is? Its working perfectly fine for the majority of games and milions of people enjoy the NEW, innovative method of playing games (in conjuction w/ the nunchuk).

EDIT: Those diagrams may look a little similar but they're not like the motion sensor bar of the or the Wiimote. I mean there are no buttons on that crap for goodness sakes.

Wow someone ran out of tampons today :yesnod: You silly fanboys think nintendo invented something new with the wii. Nintendo used old technology in a new (crappy) way. Get over it. Nintendo didnt invent anything. They borrowed other companies technology, and slapped it on outdated system and made it sound like a great deal since its cheaper than the other systems. Heres the kicker. Its not a great deal! Would you pay $250 for a gamecube with a wii remote? I know I wouldnt. Thats exactly what you're doing.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Wow someone ran out of tampons today :yesnod: You silly fanboys think nintendo invented something new with the wii. Nintendo used old technology in a new (crappy) way. Get over it. Nintendo didnt invent anything. They borrowed other companies technology, and slapped it on outdated system and made it sound like a great deal since its cheaper than the other systems. Heres the kicker. Its not a great deal! Would you pay $250 for a gamecube with a wii remote? I know I wouldnt. Thats exactly what you're doing.

Please you disgruntled fanboy stop thinking that insults are going to affect me. Its the INTERNET. The fact of the matter is Nintendo did create something new. All that crap in the first post doesn't change that nor does it say anything of real significance. As for the Wii its better than the Gamecube as we all know and the price is definitely worth it. You keep telling yourself that all Wii owners are angry about paying for it when its the EXACT opposite. Its amazing how blind you really are.

the ds and gba has tilt.
yoshi topsi turvy
wario twisted
both gba games but can be played on the ds

oh drat, and there i was thinking nintendo invented motion sensing game controllers :eek: i'm so disapointed i guess this effects how much i enjoy my Wii and and i should sell it [/sarcasm]

Nintendo had the balls to make it work, clearly not everyone likes nintendo's aproach and thats understandable.. but clearly alot of people do like it.

Nintendo invented motion sensing like Al Gore invented the Internet. They didn't. However, Nintendo was the first company to STANDARDIZE motion sensing and incorporating it into every console it makes.

Also, Sony didn't copy Nintendo. It just revealed 6-axis at a very bad time.

Oh, and you forgot the Power Glove! :crazy:

Shiftfallout said:
There have been many many many misconceptions concerning the motion sensoring technology used in both the PS3 and the Wii.

A lot of Wii fanboys here are complaining about PS3s stolen technology. Which is quite ironic, due to the fact that both Nintendo and Sony reused someone elses technology for their own controllers.

My Points are this:

1. The Playstation 3 controller was used before for the playstation 1.
2. Motion Sensoring controllers have been around since around 1997 for gaming.
3. The Nintendo Wii stole patented technology for their controller.
4. The PS3 and Wii use old technology that is both NOT theirs.

ok now lets get into details.

1. Pellican, a third party company released a controller for the PS1 which included the tilt control technology, sensing movement when the controller when turned at different angles, it included rumble feature as well. This was in 1999. Sony just reused and improved on this PS1 controller for their PS3.
(cant find a current picture, but I was able to find this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOBtMMWteA)

2. In 1997 Microsoft released a side winder freestyle controller which included the same exact technology as mentioned in (1.). This was for the PC.
fsprotate2mw0.gif

3. Nintendo used patented technology from Interlink. The combination between interlinks remote and microsoft/pellicans motion controllers is what the Wiimote is. Its not original. Its not new Nintendo technology. Its ripped just like everything else is in this generation of gaming consoles.
interlinkwiimotegc0.jpg

Last i heard, interlink is preparing a lawsuite against nintendo.

4. Both the Wii and the PS3 use technology that is not new nor their own. The rumble feature found in controllers was made by Immersion. Sony and Microsoft in 2002 were sued by Immersion. This is the real reason Sony does not have a rumble feature in their new controller, but it seems agreements are being made for a new PS3 controller with this function. Microsoft, with their money has already payed off Immersion. Nintendo? They are still looking to that, however they cant escape Interlink unfortunately.

5. All that should matter, is the relisation that no console is stealing technology from another console, as they all have stole their stuff from someone else to begin with. As gamers we should be looking at who does it better, not who took what from whome. Because if we start playing the blame game, when the facts surface everyones just gonna look stupid.

I think this is important for both PS3 and Wii owners to know so no more blame games start poppin up.
Maybe so, but PS3 didnt have it at first, they had a regular controller, (shaped boomerang)like 360, then when wii showed its controller with motion sensing technologies, ps3 quickly changed its controller to have motion sensing!
The PS3 executive also said that they think the wii is going in the right direction, so i guess they ripped it off from wii becuz they thought that wat the wii was doin waz tha right way ta go!

CyanRussel said:
Maybe so, but PS3 didnt have it at first, they had a regular controller, (shaped boomerang)like 360, then when wii showed its controller with motion sensing technologies, ps3 quickly changed its controller to have motion sensing!
The PS3 executive also said that they think the wii is going in the right direction, so i guess they ripped it off from wii becuz they thought that wat the wii was doin waz tha right way ta go!

1. As a gamer i dont care who "dun" it first. Its stupid to care, they all took it from someone else. So who cares anymore.
2. Nintendo has always had the balls to do something different, but that is also the reason they are responsible for the playstation as their rival. I like nintendos outside the box thinking, even if it sacrifices other things in the process.
3. Sony and microsoft were getting sued for using the rumble feature without paying royalties, this was fixed but Sony didnt clear it up fast enough for the controller launch. They already had the technology for the motion sensor controller itself, and decided to use it earlier than later.
4. Nintendo had a few other controllers they were thinking of using instead, some looked worse than the original PS3 one.
5. Going back to my point.. who cares as long as gaming gets better for everyone.

No one is trashing nintendo or sony here, they both reuse old technology, they both take from other stuff to make new stuff. Once we can accept this, we just need to stop arguing about the controller blame game because its stupid.

Got it?

CyanRussel said:
Yea, i understand where your goin, so if u had a choice, which would u rather have a ps3 or a wii?

Both, I like each one for different reasons. (and i already own both). The wii is so cheap it doesnt even hurt buyinging it. The PS3 offers more uses for me and will have more mature gaming content for me. The wii is good for simple cheap fun, The PS3 offers me more, but the simple fun is a good way to relax after work also. I have no favorites, but i do see the PS3 keeping me interesed longer as it developles over time.

Yea, but u already kno that mo games r coming out on the wii, so maybe i say u keep an eye on it, cuz u might get interested in the wii games come in out
ex: SSBB, SMG, MP3
(I aint got no problem wit ps3, the only thing that really is hurting it, is the cost, and how much the developers are willing to develop for it on it's expensive cost.

Back