PS3 and Wii Controller information you should know.

FWELR said:
very good analogy. that helps a lot. but how does it work in games like motor storm or resistence.

MotorStorm - Tilt control left, you turn left. (Vice versa with Right)
Resistance - If a Menial grabs you, you shake the control up and down to shrug him off. (and proceed to blast him with the shotgun)

Basically, its what you've been doing with a controller when you were younger, move the control about in front of you in hope it will help you move faster :p

retro_joe said:
MotorStorm - Tilt control left, you turn left. (Vice versa with Right)
Resistance - If a Menial grabs you, you shake the control up and down to shrug him off. (and proceed to blast him with the shotgun)

Basically, its what you've been doing with a controller when you were younger, move the control about in front of you in hope it will help you move faster :p

okay, now i understand why all these games like god of war II and medal of honor are going to the ps2 and not the ps3. makes perfect sense. wow, it really seems like sony has a gameplay concept that could match nintendo, except they turn their console into a home entertainment center that they lose money off of every time one is sold. you didn't need one sony, all you needed was to release the gameplay and you'd be fine.

FWELR said:
very good analogy. that helps a lot. but how does it work in games like motor storm or resistence.

The downside to the sixaxis is that, developers got a working controller late in the game. This was seen with the warhawk demo at E3, where the developers commented that they knew about the Sixaxis for quite some time but couldnt do anything till they recieved a working controller to make any changes in the game. They recieved a working controller 10 days before E3, thus it looked rushed.

So theres not a lot of support for launch titles.

In motorstorm, ( I havent played it much, dont like racing games) but from what I hear is that you can control a vehicle with turning the controller left and right. Heres a video http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/9989

As for Resistance, its very minimal. You use it in rare instances such as shaking the controller to get something off of you and the like.

In games like the Godfather we are starting to see more common uses for the sixaxis. http://ps3.qj.net/The-Godfather-The-Don-s-Edition-screens-w-SIXAXIS-tilt-tutorial/pg/49/aid/86336

Its slow progress, the Wiimote utilizes their movement sensing controller a bit more, but they dont really have a choice due to the low button count. Sixaxis is still being played around with, so we will see what happens.

PS tilting does not threaten Ninty's 3D Motion

Shiftfallout, I appreciate the fact that you are defending the Playstation brand from a lot of misconceptions (being an avid PS2 player myself), but at the same time I feel you are adding to the misconception.

Nintendo did not rip off technology from Interlink...the claim made is for the trigger design on the back of the controller, what they call the ClickTrigger device...:eek:ut:

You are right in saying that Sony did not steal from Nintendo, because both are paying outside companies to produce accelerometers and gyroscopes. But the truth is that the incorporation of tilting on the Sixaxis was heavily influenced by Nintendo's motion-sensing decision... and that is ok.

I don't know why everyone is getting all roused up for anyways. The Sixaxis technology is only a nunchuk with blue-tooth, it has nothing on the Wii controller's 3D motion-sensing :ee5k: :D :thumbsup:

Rahnter said:
Shiftfallout, I appreciate the fact that you are defending the Playstation brand from a lot of misconceptions (being an avid PS2 player myself), but at the same time I feel you are adding to the misconception.

Nintendo did not rip off technology from Interlink...the claim made is for the trigger design on the back of the controller, what they call the ClickTrigger device...:eek:ut:
Im not really defending anyone brand specifically, but i do hear a lot of blaming on who stole from who and what not. Like that the PS3 sixaxis is a copy of nintendo, or how nintendo fanboys cry that it is some how new technology developed by Nintendo. They dont know how the industry works.

Im sorry you feel that Im adding to the misconception, because my argument is fairly simple. Every console took ideas and technology from someone else. The point is, Sony had filed a patent for Sixaxis before the wiimote was announced. Sony was big on the rumble feature which Immersion was able to sue them for because they owned the patent for the tech.

Unfortunately for nintendo, Miyamoto who designs all nintendo controllers admitted that he got the idea for the remote from using a remote. Now what happens when a company had the patent for a remote thats shaped similar and also has a motion sensor which is supposed to emulate a mouse. This is the patent in question. Lawsuits are tricky things, and the truth is another company has a patent for a something similar in design if not function.

Add then that gaming applications like Xavix for example used the same style of gameplay. Controllers that pick up on movement to play sports like golf, tennis, bowling, baseball.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavix

Its all not original. Its packaged nicely but lets be honest that EVERY console begins to take ideas from others and reuse them.

You are right in saying that Sony did not steal from Nintendo, because both are paying outside companies to produce accelerometers and gyroscopes. But the truth is that the incorporation of tilting on the Sixaxis was heavily influenced by Nintendo's motion-sensing decision... and that is ok.

It definately is ok, but again i point out that the patent for the SIXAXIS was filed by sony before nintendo announced the Wiimote, and earlier pictures of the prototype look and opperate nothing like the current wiimote.

I don't know why everyone is getting all roused up for anyways. The Sixaxis technology is only a nunchuk with blue-tooth, it has nothing on the Wii controller's 3D motion-sensing :ee5k: :D :thumbsup:

Please dont compare a 3 axis device found in the nunchuku to the 6 axis ps3 controller. Do you know how different they truely are?

Shiftfallout said:
Please dont compare a 3 axis device found in the nunchuku to the 6 axis ps3 controller. Do you know how different they truely are?

LOL. There are only three axes no matter what name Sony makes up. :crazy: I know you meant degrees, but I couldn't help myself.

We both agree that it is not new technology or that it was stolen... maybe borrowed is a better word. However, the Interlink device does not have any motion-sensing technology... it's just a mouse peripheral that points...but again, their claim is not about the technology, but about shape. Our discussion here is about technology, that is why I said it added to the misconception.

I know it sucks having to straighten out all the Nintendo fans and I appreciate you doing it. But I still stand behind my opinion that the Sixaxis more closely resemble the nunchuk than the Wii controller, simply because neither can recognize the position in 3D space and both tilt.

However, the PS3 will live or die by it's gaming library, not it's controls... that's just an added bonus.

Rahnter said:
LOL. There are only three axes no matter what name Sony makes up. :crazy: I know you meant degrees, but I couldn't help myself.

no no good call. Its safe to say at their core they both rely on accelerometers.

Last edited:
could it be 3 axises on the controller and 3 axises in the game response? a wild guess. I dont know, im in 7th grade math :p

There are only 3 possible axes. It is combinations of these axes which make the wii controller fully effective...So there you have it. If one has it and the other doesn't, then it's not a complete and total ripoff.

And on patents, it's relatively easy to get thrown out, cause minor changes can get rid of major parts.

yea the point it they both took the technology and improved it

They bought is into gaming, i dont care if its old thing sum1 elses idea, They used its improved and not its betta, Ya i can remember playin clint east wood on the cdi player so i kinda see wot ya sayin. but Again who cares?

O Onli u sad Boys that aint got nuthin beta to tlk about ofcourse< No Girlfriend no life...

Back