PS3 is simply ahead of its time.

santo said:
First of all, yes, I am a Nintendo gamer. I have been since the 8-bit days. I don't like to call myself a fanboy, there are too many negative connotations to that term. I don't bounce from board to board spouting "ZOMG P$3 suXX0rz". I do, however, think Sony seriously dropped the proverbial ball this generation.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a serious piece of hardware. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure it's dozens if not hundreds of times more powerful than the Wii. This is exactly its problem.

First and foremost in Sony's ball dropage is the Blu Ray. Its inclusion resulted in short supplies, launch delays, and a hugely inflated price. Blu Ray, again, is a fantastic piece of technology. However, HDTV penetration still isn't that high. No one without an HDTV will see the benefit. Also, consumers are wary of buying into the technology while the format war rages on. While Blu Ray gives Sony a high definition title of some sort, it just isn't needed at this time.

The main advantage over current generation DVD is the storage capacity. Okay, so we can have 50GB games now. And...? No game comes anywhere near that, and probably won't for at least a few years. They don't need it. Look at Gears of War: 4.7GB. And that game is beautiful. And while the Blu Ray drive offers better capacity and graphics, it is still a relatively new technology. The result: a 2x drive that gives snail-like loading times.

Leaving out Blu Ray could have cut $200 from the PS3's price. Hell, I would have been tempted to buy one at $300.

The Blu Ray also cost Sony delays... upwards of a year depending on the market. The delay cost Sony exclusives and gave Microsoft a yearlong head start.

So what should Sony have done? Slapped a current generation DVD drive in that puppy, ditched HDMI for component, and called it the PS2.5. Give us Blu Ray in 3 years when it will make a difference.
actually blu ray has an extreme storage amount capacity...so its RLY good for games...:cornut:
thats how it would benefit someone without a hddvd

Shiftfallout said:
In the game, you will find tvs, radios and movie theatures throughout the free roaming world. You can watch full movies, episodes.. ect whatever the developers want to pack in there without worrying about space limitations.

Who cares? Does that add to the gameplay? IMO....no!

Not the gameplay since you don't have to interact with the movie, radio etc. dumbass but the game yeah we are in an era where the smallest detail can be a fatal flaw or a huge success

tank said:
Who cares? Does that add to the gameplay? IMO....no!

Yes. Its called Immersion. Immersion by making a world deeper, setting mood via sound and video.

Those were merely a few of the differences found in the game. Are you saying you dont care about immersion? huh?

Shiftfallout said:
Yes. Its called Immersion. Immersion by making a world deeper, setting mood via sound and video.

Those were merely a few of the differences found in the game. Are you saying you dont care about immersion? huh?
Immersion and attention to detail isn't neccessarily hampered by lack of storage space.

Besides, what about data compression? Surely that would account for some space. 2 Disks worth of Resident Evil 2 for the PSX managed to be squeezed onto a single N64 cart. Surely this goes to show that compression for games can at least sometimes work around the space issue...

WiiZero said:
Lair
Motorstorm
White Knight Story
DC Online
FFXIII
LittleBig Planet
PlayStation HOME
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

You see there has got to be some you are interested in

those look like good games only final fantasy 13 does it for me...I am curious about white knight story but i need to see more gameplay for that

markmanuel18 said:
those look like good games only final fantasy 13 does it for me...I am curious about white knight story but i need to see more gameplay for that
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cheGec6Vcno[/MEDIA]

I'll be honest though, FF is getting a bit old, so i really hope that FF13 will do to the series what FF7 did when it came out on the ps1.

I think what the FF series is really lacking, is itemization. Meaning, items that can be randomly found and when equipped you see what they look like. It has always bothered me when you buy new armor, you dont get to see it. I hate the idea of walking around in the same clothes you started the game with. Character developement should be both internal and external. Just how I feel though. PC rpgs ruined the one garb setup for me, i used to be ok with it, now after playing the PC rpg I have trouble going back.

Last edited:
shiftalot thanks for the vid, but i've seen that video allready nice to watch it again...I just like to see more vids on it...before making my choice if i like it enough to want to get it.

Back to the topic, um how many people on this ps3 forum think that the ps3 is simply ahead of time, and how many think its not!

Just want to know because theres an even # of people who think its ahead of its time, and others who dont think its ahead of its time!

(Just Asking!)

I really think it's ahead of time...

And here's the only reason: BLURAY , what can you do with it? I mean... not you, the person that owns a 2k HDTV set and the 1k 7.1 surround sound system, i mean the vast majority of people that only owns a regular tv with their integrated stereo speakers... SO all of it's ''features'' become unusable...
I'm no sayin' it will be bad to have them, it's just not the right time to put it on the market.

From ALL the people i know, i'm the only one that owns an HDTV... by that i mean that maybe 5% of the people owns one...and that's not too much...
They should have waited the market to be etablished and THEN launch their PS4 with their 50 GB discs... Until then, a good PS3 with a ''costless'' dvd drive would have given them more advantage...

Plus, the drive in the PS3 is not ''top of the line'' it can't even read past the first 2 layers of a BR disc (this means it won't be able to read bigger BR discs when they come out...IF THEY COME OUT)

Right now BLURAY is really expensive, and you can see that in the 600 bucks price tag... It's just not the right time, and we are not even sure it is here to STAY.

alexgc87 said:
I really think it's ahead of time...

And here's the only reason: BLURAY , what can you do with it? I mean... not you, the person that owns a 2k HDTV set and the 1k 7.1 surround sound system, i mean the vast majority of people that only owns a regular tv with their integrated stereo speakers... SO all of it's ''features'' become unusable...
I'm no sayin' it will be bad to have them, it's just not the right time to put it on the market.

From ALL the people i know, i'm the only one that owns an HDTV... by that i mean that maybe 5% of the people owns one...and that's not too much...
They should have waited the market to be etablished and THEN launch their PS4 with their 50 GB discs... Until then, a good PS3 with a ''costless'' dvd drive would have given them more advantage...

Plus, the drive in the PS3 is not ''top of the line'' it can't even read past the first 2 layers of a BR disc (this means it won't be able to read bigger BR discs when they come out...IF THEY COME OUT)

Right now BLURAY is really expensive, and you can see that in the 600 bucks price tag... It's just not the right time, and we are not even sure it is here to STAY.

Well then i'll be damed if thats true!
I dont even have a ps3 and im hearing all this, i dont think i'll ever get a ps3 from what im reading, only if what your saying is true...... Or if maybe someone else could clue me in, if what your saying is right about the ps3!

CyanRussel said:
Well then i'll be damed if thats true!
I dont even have a ps3 and im hearing all this, i dont think i'll ever get a ps3 from what im reading, only if what your saying is true...... Or if maybe someone else could clue me in, if what your saying is right about the ps3!

lol, cmon you cant be swayed that easily. I mean, what is he arguing, that the ROM-Drive cant read passed two layers? So he is saying it should read more than 50 gigabites? So in short he is complaining that the ps3 can only read up to 50 gigabytes, while th 360 can read up to 9 gigs. um.. I dont even think we will end up using all 50gigs before the ps4 is needed. Hes arguing that the ps3 is ahead of its time but then complains that it wont read more than the current 50 gig limit. Isnt that kind of a contradiction? Think about it, its like complaining that the xbox and ps2 can only read the first two layers of a dvd which they did. And then... the 360 came out and now can read up to 9 gigs per disk. Its called progression, you use 1 step and then go to a more advanced form of it years later. Every console has done this. What he said was entertaining, yet completely illogical.

Shiftfallout said:
lol, cmon you cant be swayed that easily. I mean, what is he arguing, that the ROM-Drive cant read passed two layers? So he is saying it should read more than 50 gigabites? So in short he is complaining that the ps3 can only read up to 50 gigabytes, while th 360 can read up to 9 gigs. um.. I dont even think we will end up using all 50gigs before the ps4 is needed. Hes arguing that the ps3 is ahead of its time but then complains that it wont read more than the current 50 gig limit. Isnt that kind of a contradiction? Think about it, its like complaining that the xbox and ps2 can only read the first two layers of a dvd which they did. And then... the 360 came out and now can read up to 9 gigs per disk. Its called progression, you use 1 step and then go to a more advanced form of it years later. Every console has done this. What he said was entertaining, yet completely illogical.

Thanks for clueing me in, i just knew, but wasnt sure if he was right/wrong about the ps3.... Luckly you came and announced it, it seems you know more about ps3, so im guessing your right, but as of right now, im going to have to wait for the price of SONY'S system the PS3 to lower down, which from what i read in Ign, or Gameinformer, says it wont be too long til theres a price cut!

Im Very Happy About That:D

Back