Ps3 Price Cut Today And 80gb Model Announced

Wiily Good said:
Australia is selling a lot there. ????

Let's get this is perspective. Australia has 20 000 000 people. America has 30 000 000. The following numbers are taken directly from VG Charts.

Recent Weekly Sales in Australia
1 - Wii - 1775
2 - 360 - 1640
3 - PS3 - 1475

Wii and Xbox 360 are selling more, just. Even though PS3 is only trailing by a small amount, it is still only selling 1475 units a week. They are selling over 17000 a week in USA. How are they making money in Australia?

I will also make the following comparisons for the PS3
USA - 300000000 people - 17900 a week - 59 units per 1000000 people per week.
UK - 60000000 people - 5500 a week - 92 units per 1000000 people per week.
Germany - 85000000 people - 2100 a week - 25 units per 1000000 people per week.
France - 64000000 people - 2700 a week - 42 units per 1000000 people per week.
Japan - 127000000 people - 9400 a week - 74 units per 1000000 people per week.
Australia - 20000000 people - 1500 - 75 units per 1000000 people per week.

Good thing Sony is a smart company. They are already making moves that are going to see these stats change. The PS3, by the nature of the machines itself, it's power and capabilitlies, has a way longer life span. The technology is going to be more current for a lot longer than the 360 or Wii.

I truly believe that these early stats mean absolutely nothing. In a few years...in many years down the line...I think the PS3 will be on top. It's built for the long haul.

I do do think that the PS3 is ahead of its time and it will take everyone from developers and consumers to catch up, and they will. When they do...it's all going to be about the PS3. That's my long-term prediction.

Wiily Good said:
Wii and Xbox 360 are selling more, just. Even though PS3 is only trailing by a small amount, it is still only selling 1475 units a week. They are selling over 17000 a week in USA. How are they making money in Australia?
To my understanding they make money off each console they sale in Australia, (because you guys get raped with these kind of things) but in America they are losing money on each console they sale.

GypsyKid said:
I got it from Zellers. Apparently they didn't get the memo so I wasn't able to get that partial refund. I did notice that bestbuy.ca are listing them for $549. I'm going to try to see if Zellers will at least price match Best Buy. Zellers has either a 14 day or 30 day price protection policy. I'm going to try my best to get this refund.

BTW I live in Alberta, so at the time I left it was 8pm and it only takes me 10 min. to get to the closest one.

Zellers is my first stop today. if they are STILL 699$ t hen im going to go up to ebgames, they are usuall good with that stuff.

MAN pton i swear to god i can get a friken ps3 today and return my wii

but the problem is i dont have the recipt any more
WTH am i gonna do IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW I SWEAR TO GOD

Wooohooo I got my $116 dollar refund and I sent out the offer to get the five free Blu Ray movies. I'm pretty stoked. I can't wait to get them.

BTW, Zellers still hasn't been updated on the new pricing. I had to take evidence that other stores were selling them cheaper.

While I was out and about today I did notice that almost every other store or chain is selling them cheaper.

I heard some sales people saying that there is going to be a big price drop for the 360 as well soon.

Last edited:
Yeah the PS3 is a good deal now. Wish I could afford one.
I bet the 360 will have a price drop this week as well.

I realize it's a little cheaper to make a PS3 now than say 9 months ago, but won't this price cut hurt the bottom line? They were already losing about $200 per console. What's the margin now?

The bottom line is those that want the system will buy it. To me the two things that have hurt the PS3 the most are the inclusion of the Blu-Ray reader and the lack of killer software thus far. Now, Blu-Ray has been a selling point to some, but I tend to believe that number of people willing to pay $400 for the system is greater than the number that is willing to pay $600 for the inclusion of the Blu-Ray drive. HD is a growing market, but it hasn't really caught on yet. In another 2-3 years it will have really taken over the marketplace, but by that time the individual Blu-Ray players and HDTVs will be much, much cheaper. I can't fault Sony too much for including it, I just think it hurt it in the marketplace in the absence of games such as GTA IV, Final Fantasy, MGS, etc. You have a crowd that will buy the latest tech regardless of price and you have a crowd that puts a limit on how much they will pay. There's nothing wrong with either outlook, it's just the way things are. The killer software will come, after all it is a Sony system.

The price drop will help, but what kind of money is Sony losing now on every system sold? I feel the PS3 will be fine longterm, and I have always felt that way. I also feel the PS3 is a wonderful machine. But, I also think the PS3 reached perhaps a little too far too early, which has hurt sales thus far.

Some may argue this point, but I feel that the market is in such a state to allow all 3 systems to co-exist. 360 and PS3 are going to battle it out on the high end while Wii services a wide variety of gamers. I think this is the greatest time to be a gamer.

IcedEarth81 said:
I realize it's a little cheaper to make a PS3 now than say 9 months ago, but won't this price cut hurt the bottom line? They were already losing about $200 per console. What's the margin now?

The bottom line is those that want the system will buy it. To me the two things that have hurt the PS3 the most are the inclusion of the Blu-Ray reader and the lack of killer software thus far. Now, Blu-Ray has been a selling point to some, but I tend to believe that number of people willing to pay $400 for the system is greater than the number that is willing to pay $600 for the inclusion of the Blu-Ray drive. HD is a growing market, but it hasn't really caught on yet. In another 2-3 years it will have really taken over the marketplace, but by that time the individual Blu-Ray players and HDTVs will be much, much cheaper. I can't fault Sony too much for including it, I just think it hurt it in the marketplace in the absence of games such as GTA IV, Final Fantasy, MGS, etc. You have a crowd that will buy the latest tech regardless of price and you have a crowd that puts a limit on how much they will pay. There's nothing wrong with either outlook, it's just the way things are. The killer software will come, after all it is a Sony system.

The price drop will help, but what kind of money is Sony losing now on every system sold? I feel the PS3 will be fine longterm, and I have always felt that way. I also feel the PS3 is a wonderful machine. But, I also think the PS3 reached perhaps a little too far too early, which has hurt sales thus far.

Some may argue this point, but I feel that the market is in such a state to allow all 3 systems to co-exist. 360 and PS3 are going to battle it out on the high end while Wii services a wide variety of gamers. I think this is the greatest time to be a gamer.

well a blu ray player is 800-1000 $ while the ps3 is 550$ (canada)

and yes the price drop has already helpes

its helped ps3s get to number 1 on amazon
its helped to get sold out

and your forgetting the 80GB model which will help sales

Wonder how much it'll be in Europe now then..we wont get £100 off thats for sure. Even if we did I still wouldn't buy as I don't really fancy the games and its still too expensive..I'm tight with money :lol:.

Jay61 said:
Wonder how much it'll be in Europe now then..we wont get £100 off thats for sure. Even if we did I still wouldn't buy as I don't really fancy the games and its still too expensive..I'm tight with money :lol:.

are you one of those people who shops at 99cent stores and buys all their clothes either used or only if they are on super clearance?

I took a jewish friend to a 99 cent store once, he said he was in heaven. "i think im the first jewish guy to discover the 99cent store" he said, then we rounded the corner and we saw like 4 rabbi's pushing around carts full of stuff. He's like "holy shwartz... no wonder people think we are tight with money". We got lunch after that, he would only order off the 99cent menu. I payed less just getting a combo meal for the same ammount of food. Ah well. Good times good times.

Sony wants to match Microsoft on their Elite. A larger hard drive. I remember them giving a lecture on not needing to upgrade the PS3 for 10 years(In fact they still say that). It has only been 6+ months and now they are releasing a larger hard drive, they are removing the emotion engine, and later they promise another version with controller ports, new chips, and rumble features back in. So much for any plans to not mess with the 20gb version that's supposed to last 10 years. If Microsoft drops the 360 price to $200 it would be the end of Sony. Remember Microsoft has $60 billion in the bank to blow, and they spent $1 billion on free console repairs.

All this money being thrown around. It should be about the games.

Well I'm in the UK so no..we don't use cents.

Like I said I don't really like many of the upcoming games enough to justify it...most the ones I REALLY want (Like assassins creed) are coming to the PS3 and 360, so I'm content. I guess by the price thing I ment, I'm too tight/ its too expensive for me to just make an impulse buy.

dont care own all 3 of them. Right now the wii and 360 collect dust smh

Back