question re: ps3

oldschool

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Wii Online Code
2904-8398-4027-1949
After reading some reviews, I am leaning towards getting a PS3(slim) but have a few questions considering that I am not that tech savvy. I really want it because of the Blu-ray player capabilities, but would get the occasionally game.

1. Do updates come to the system automatically and easy to install, like the Wii? I thought I read somewhere that other users/owners post updates for the system or do they come from the Sony network?

2. I just got a 1080p HDTV, does the PS3 come with HDMI cables or do they have to be purchase separately?

Thanks
O/S

The PS3 will update automatically, assuming you are connected to the internet. If not, I'm pretty sure some games do come with updates and like the Wii and Xbox360 they usually only require you to click the "OK" button.

The actual console does not come with a HDMI cable, although I'm sure most electronics stores do sell them as bundles.

its not a good idea to use the hdmi that comes with consoles anyways. the xbox one isnt that great you shoult just throw down 60 or 70 bucks on a good one. the ones u see in the bundles run about 30

its not a good idea to use the hdmi that comes with consoles anyways. the xbox one isnt that great you shoult just throw down 60 or 70 bucks on a good one. the ones u see in the bundles run about 30

60 or 70 bucks for an HDMI cable? Craziness.

I wouldn't spend more than 6 or 7 bucks.

the cheapest one i could find (in stores) was around 30 bucks. i dont trust a 6 dollar no name HDMI cable from the internet, sorry.

you're not getting the best picture possible for 6 bucks trust me, it probably looks more like your using component cables. mine was 60 bucks. since it was so expensive i only bought 1 and i switch it between my 360 and ps3 lol.

Last edited:

the cheapest one i could find (in stores) was around 30 bucks. i dont trust a 6 dollar no name HDMI cable from the internet, sorry.

you're not getting the best picture possible for 6 bucks trust me, it probably looks more like your using component cables. mine was 60 bucks. since it was so expensive i only bought 1 and i switch it between my 360 and ps3 lol.

You've been duped. It's a digital signal - it's either there or it's not, there's no "not quite as good" picture. Unless you have an extra long distance for the cables, cheapy HDMI cables will work exactly the same as expensive ones.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4235717.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/

You've been duped. It's a digital signal - it's either there or it's not, there's no "not quite as good" picture. Unless you have an extra long distance for the cables, cheapy HDMI cables will work exactly the same as expensive ones.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4235717.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/

no they dont, different cables have different refresh rates. some cables (the cheap ones) have black spots in the picture from time to time. mosnter cables arent 100 dollars for no reason. they support pictures beyond 1080p. whats taht mean? it means when the next best resolution becomes available youll already have an hdmi cable that supports it. thats a stupid reason to buy a monster cable though haha. i personal have a rocket fish cable with 24k gold ends. some cables also dont support 1080p even though they say they do.

no they dont, different cables have different refresh rates. some cables (the cheap ones) have black spots in the picture from time to time. mosnter cables arent 100 dollars for no reason. they support pictures beyond 1080p. whats taht mean? it means when the next best resolution becomes available youll already have an hdmi cable that supports it. thats a stupid reason to buy a monster cable though haha. i personal have a rocket fish cable with 24k gold ends. some cables also dont support 1080p even though they say they do.

I stand by my previous statement: You've been duped. Do some research and save some money.

Unless you've got an unusually long cable run, the cheap cables are no different.

okay and i stand by my statement. its not a big deal, if i want to pay an extra 40 bucks for a brand name then let me. i had gift cards to best buy from a rewards program at my work, i didnt use my own money on it no big deal.

No worries, oldschool, the PS3's firmware updates only make you press "OK" and it updates automatically. And yes, if a developer decides to expand the game experience with a software update, it's easy too. It just prompts you to update when you launch the game and you press "OK".

No, the PS3 does not come with HDMI cables, so you'll have to buy them separately. They don't really cost that much if you have a decent amount of time to search.

After reading some reviews, I am leaning towards getting a PS3(slim) but have a few questions considering that I am not that tech savvy. I really want it because of the Blu-ray player capabilities, but would get the occasionally game.

1. Do updates come to the system automatically and easy to install, like the Wii? I thought I read somewhere that other users/owners post updates for the system or do they come from the Sony network?

2. I just got a 1080p HDTV, does the PS3 come with HDMI cables or do they have to be purchase separately?

Thanks
O/S

They come to the system like the Wii...
No HDMI cable with the system, must be purchased separetly...

Thanks everyone for their feedback. But is it still best to wait a bit longer in case this system still has any bugs in it?

Thanks everyone for their feedback. But is it still best to wait a bit longer in case this system still has any bugs in it?

No, I don't think there's any point. Buyers have been loving the PS3 Slim since release.

If you wait long enough, it will be the next generation in a few years... Sure you might avoid a few bugs waiting, but you will miss out on a TON of GREAT games along the way...

just stay clear of the 40gb models. i had a disc drive failure a couple weeks ago and blu-ray drives dont come cheap let me tell you... after a bit of research i found out the 40gb models were more prone to this happening.

no worries, if your buying new you wont find a 40gb in stores anyways.

Back