Ridley in Brawl.

Wreked

Wiichat member
Sep 2, 2007
I searched and I couldn't believe there wasn't a Ridley thread.

Ridley is one of my top wanted characters.

Now don't give many any boss or lanky crap. Read below for why.

'He's too big.'
Ridley's size is hardly an argument. Smash is meant to bring fan-favorite Nintendo (mostly) characters into playable fighting form. As long as a moveset can be created for them then they are Smash-capable. Ridley size would not interfere with this. Bowser is a good example, as he has been much larger than Ridley ever has been in some games, but in other games (even Smash) he has been downsized to fit whatever role he is given. Ridley's role has always been as a boss. (an important one, at that) It's only natural for him to be large and imposing for this role. Ridley's role in Smash? To fight ofcourse! So he would be easily downsized so he could do so with the rest of the Nintendo all-stars.

'He would look awkward.'
Ridley is large and lanky, yes. But, that is just how Ridley is. It's part of his character. He could still be made to fight in the world of Smash quite easily. Donkey Kong has a huge head and long, large arms, but small legs in comparison. Kirby and Jigglypuff have tiny, stubby arms and huge feet tacked on their round bodies. Yet, all of these examples have proven Smash-worthy, have they not? He may look a little different from your average human-shaped fighter, but give him a chance.

'His design would be too hard to implement.'
Long head with huge powerful jaws. Great, mighty wings. Long, claw-tipped arms. Long, flexible pointed-tip tail. All part of the Ridley design. How could they implement all these great, fighting features you say? In Melee, that might have been very difficult. This is Brawl, however, and the recently confirmed Charizard throws this argument away. Charizard also follows the draconic design, so if they could make him work, then so too could they make Ridley.

'He would be an Assist Trophy.'
Ridley? An Assist Trophy? Let's look into what has been confirmed Assist Trophy material.

Hammer Bro. - A generic enemy of the Mario franchise.
Nintendog - Something to represent a very successful franchise that otherwise, could not have been represented in Smash. (Think of what critics would say about Smash if you were able to kick around a cute little puppy!)
Samurai Goroh - A rival of Captain Falcon. He was one of the first four F-Zero characters. Seems important enough to be playable, doesn't he? Not really... F-Zero hasn't really come along as a franchise as much as Metroid has recently. Main villains, like Black Shadow and Deathborn would be more likely if F-Zero were to get another representative. That is what Ridley is, a main villain.
Dr. Wright - Like the Nintendog, he is here to represent a series that was popular, but otherwise did not have enough going for him to make him playable.
Knuckle Joe - An enemy and helper character of the Kirby series. He's not important to the series, but is highly popular. Kirby is likely to be better represented this time around, with Meta-Knight and King Dedede joing him for Brawl. Knuckle Joe was likely just included as an Assist Trophy for his popularity.
Devil - A character from an old, popular game. He was included for the nostalgic effect, it would seem.
Andross (Old) - a floating head he may be very important and a last boss but in the end all he is is a floating head... nuff said.

Now, Ridley is not a generic enemy like a Hammer Bro or Knuckle Joe. He is an important part of the Metroid series; He gave Samus her motives for becoming who she is, basically. He's a highly important villain in a very popular series in need of representation, unlike Goroh. Unlike the Nintendog and Dr. Wright, he is capable of fighting, and his respective game(s) is not old. The Devil is there to represent an old popular game series, something Metroid is not.

So, from what can be gathered, Ridley is not Assist Trophy material.

'He would be a boss.'
Ofcourse he should be. That is what he always has been. Does this mean he should be unplayable? No way! Bowser and Ganondorf have also been bosses, but they are playable in Melee. (Ridley is often considered the 'Bowser and Ganondorf' for Metroid) The recently confirmed boss, Petey Piranha, is not important to the Mario series. He's popular yes, but not important. Meta-Ridley, the huge cybernetic Dragon of Metroid Prime would make a great boss, in fact. He could stay his huge size. And attack in the same method. Dropping bombs for players to catch and throw back at him. Once grounded, he would use his dash attack to try and knock away players. That is when you dodge, and attack him during Meta-Ridley's lag. If you don't cause enough damage, look out for his plasma beam! It could be quite intense! 'Classic' Ridley however, could also be an earlier 'boss' that you must fight and defeat. He would be like a normal playable character, though. (Although probably made heavier to make him more difficult) Only later will he return as the monstrous Meta-Ridley boss. You may notice 'Boss Fight' in the title of Ridley's theme. This is only the name of the song used in the games, the 'Boss Fight' there to show Ridley's boss status in his games.

'He isn't popular, and non-important to the franchise.'
Nothing is further from the truth! Ridley is shown to have a long history with Samus herself. Him being the one who led the space pirates on the invasion of her home, destroying it, and her parents, in the process. He has always appeared as a boss in most of the Metroid games. (All but two, Metroid II and Metroid Prime: Echoes) He is also very popular. In Sakura's poll, from what he allowed us to see, Ridley was mentioned four times; The same amount as Diddy Kong and Ike, both of which are confirmed playable. These polls were japan-only, a place where Metroid is not very popular, yet Ridley is still very well-known there, and he is wanted.

RIDLEY (Metroid Series):

First appeared in Metroid (NES)

STATS:

Weight: 4/5
Jump: 4/5 [jump four times + glide]
Strength: 3/5
Speed: 3/5
Size: 5/5
Agility: 2/5

--- Move Set ---

- (A) Normal Moves -

(A) Neutral: A claw swipe. [3 – 4%, med speed]
(A) (A) Neutral: A double claw swipe. [3 – 4% each, med speed]
(A) (A) (A) Neutral: A double claw swipe with an added lagging tail attack. [3 – 5% each, med-slow speed]
(A) Up: An upwards skull-bash. [4 – 6%, med speed]
(A) Down: A downwards claw swipe. [4 – 7%, med speed]
(A) Forward: A forward direction skull-bash. [5 – 6%, med-fast speed]
(A) Forward (A) Neutral: A forward pushing skull-bash with a flame attack. [8 – 11%, med speed]

- (A) Aerial Moves –

(A) Neutral: A mid-air claw swipe. [4 – 5%, med-fast speed]
(A) Up: Pushes wings upwards in a fast strike. [7 – 9%, fast speed]
(A) Down: A simple tail swipe in a downwards direction. [6 – 9%, med-fast speed]
(A) Forwards: A fairly slow moving wing attack. [7 – 10%, slow-med speed]
(A) Backwards: Ridley opens his powerful wings. [4 – 7%, med speed]

- (B) Special Moves –

(B) Neutral: Ridley spits out three medium-sized fireballs, each going slightly different directions. (Forward, diagonal up/down) [5 – 6 % each, med speed]
(B) Up: Ridley takes out wings quickly and propels himself in the air and the glides on his wings. NOTE: He can’t change gliding directions in mid-air. [7 – 10%, med-fast speed]
(B) Down: Smashes tail on the ground and creates a mini-wake around him (about the width of Kirby) which hurts anyone in that area. [10 – 14%, slow-med speed]
(B) Forwards: Space plasma attack. Spits out plasma like a Fire Plant, but instead of gradually growing weaker, it would gradually grow stronger. Ridley will become breathless shortly after reaching peak power, where he cannot use a Space Plasma or Triple-Fire attack for aprox. 3 seconds. [5 – 17%, med speed]

- (Z) Grab Moves –

(Z) Neutral: Grabs hold of opponent with claws. [1 – 3%, med-fast speed] {1}
(Z) Up: Grabs hold of opponent in mouth. [2 – 3%, med speed] {2}
(Z) Down: Grabs hold of opponent with tail. [1 – 3%, med speed] {3}
(Z) Forward: Spins around and captures opponent in wings. [1 – 2%, med speed] {4}

- (Z) Throw Moves –

(Z) Neutral: Slams opponent on ground. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}. [10 – 16%, slow-med speed]
(Z) Neutral: Spins opponent (stun one second) and flame them. Use with {4}. [12 – 16%, med speed]
(Z) Up: Throw opponent in air with force. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}. [6 – 12%, med speed]
(Z) Down: Puts opponent on ground and skull-bash. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}. [8 – 18%, slow-med speed]
(Z) Forward: Throws opponent far forward. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}. [11 – 16%, med-fast speed]
(Z) Forward: Throws opponent over head and flame them (stun one second). Use with {4}. [9 – 19%, med speed]

- Smash Moves –

Smash Forward: A swift skull-bashing attack with a tail strike. [20 – 27%, med-fast speed]
Smash Up: Runs in direction Ridley is facing and smashes wings open fast. [18 – 24%, fast speed]
Smash Down: Swings tail around from behind him in a clock-wise direction. [21 – 24%, med speed]

- Special Move –

Ridley shoots our both fire and plasma at the same time in a massive attack that reaches several body-lengths upwards and the direction he is facing. [30 – 45%, very fast speed]

EXTRAS:

Kirby Hat = His yellow eyes and wings
Alternate Costumes = Different colour combination (black & grey, blue & purple ect.)
Secret Costume = Meta Ridley costume
Character Intro = He flies down into the arena from above.
Stage = Ridley battle shaft. (Super Metroid) ‘OR’ Lab with Metroid Larvae (Super Metroid)
Taunt = Ridley looks up into the air and screeches.
Pose 1 = He flies up and swoops low to the ground.
Pose 2 = His eyes light up and he starts flapping his wings viciously
Symbol = Metroid Larvae

180px-Ridley_2.jpg

This is him in the more recent Metroid Prime 3.

More stuff why he should be in. Look at the new characters so far. Diddy, second on sakurai's poll. Ike tied for second. Who else is second? Ridley and Geno. So obviously Sakurai is paying attention to the poll.

And before you tell me he's too big. Tell me this.

How is this big?

ridleybig.jpg

Last edited:
with the inclusion of charizard i could see ridley being a playable character, i however don't think he should belong for a couple of reasons, the first is that he's not a playable character in any game, second just way to damn lankey/awkward....idn i would prefer him to be a boss or assist tropy

mushroomedmario said:
with the inclusion of charizard i could see ridley being a playable character, i however don't think he should belong for a couple of reasons, the first is that he's not a playable character in any game, second just way to damn lankey/awkward....idn i would prefer him to be a boss or assist tropy
Well Zelda is never playable in any game that I know of. So that argument failed.
And don't tell me about akward. Let's look at DK-Huge head. Large arms and chest. Then little legs.
Kirby-Round ball with little stubby arms. Then large oval like feet.
So akward/lanky arguement, failed.

stfu who the **** do you think you are....coming onto this forum using the word failed in your 9th post, you have to gain that privelage man, i wouldn't want to make enemies right away if i were you

anyways.....he's way more akward than any of those people, at least they're all relatively the same size...i just can't picture someone like mario for instance grabbing him cause i can picture mario grabbing dk and kirby with no awkwardness at all

and zelda is one person, my whole arguement didn't fail......the point is still valid, non-playable characters are USUALLY not playable characters in ssb, which slims down his chances, not saying that no one in the ssb series that isn't playable in any game shouldn't be there.

Haha I like Wreked. Standing up for us *********newbs!

I think Ridley would be a great inclusion to Brawl. Playing with him would be great fun. The only concern I have is how would he go spending most of his time on the ground? He looks like he should spend more time in the air.

When he was seen fighting Samus in Melee, I thought straight away that he could be a great character. Better than some of the characters there anyway. I don't think he will be in Brawl, but if he was it'd be cool.

Last edited:
dnt listen to mushroomed mario, he is just a fanboy, he is just a prick,

i wud luve him a playable character but i think he will be a boss.

There will be an awkwardness to the matter. Think about mario grabbing this huge character. Ridley is 4 times the size of Samus. that would be dumb. And ridley shrunk down would be even more stupid.

I agree. He is more suited at being a boss or a support character of some sort, rather than actually being a playable one.

Mingus said:
There will be an awkwardness to the matter. Think about mario grabbing this huge character. Ridley is 4 times the size of Samus. that would be dumb. And ridley shrunk down would be even more stupid.
gigabowser_mk3.jpg

Sorry couldn't hear you speak a little louder next time.

@Byuakuya, JCpacker05, Zeldaforlife, size and boss is the weakest arguement against him. Here this may help you understand my point of view. I should put these on the first post.

'He would be a boss.'
Ofcourse he should be. That is what he always has been. Does this mean he should be unplayable? No way! Bowser and Ganondorf have also been bosses, but they are playable in Melee. (Ridley is often considered the 'Bowser and Ganondorf' for Metroid) The recently confirmed boss, Petey Piranha, is not important to the Mario series. He's popular yes, but not important. Meta-Ridley, the huge cybernetic Dragon of Metroid Prime would make a great boss, in fact. He could stay his huge size. And attack in the same method. Dropping bombs for players to catch and throw back at him. Once grounded, he would use his dash attack to try and knock away players. That is when you dodge, and attack him during Meta-Ridley's lag. If you don't cause enough damage, look out for his plasma beam! It could be quite intense! 'Classic' Ridley however, could also be an earlier 'boss' that you must fight and defeat. He would be like a normal playable character, though. (Although probably made heavier to make him more difficult) Only later will he return as the monstrous Meta-Ridley boss. You may notice 'Boss Fight' in the title of Ridley's theme. This is only the name of the song used in the games, the 'Boss Fight' there to show Ridley's boss status in his games.

'He would look awkward.'
Ridley is large and lanky, yes. But, that is just how Ridley is. It's part of his character. He could still be made to fight in the world of Smash quite easily. Donkey Kong has a huge head and long, large arms, but small legs in comparison. Kirby and Jigglypuff have tiny, stubby arms and huge feet tacked on their round bodies. Yet, all of these examples have proven Smash-worthy, have they not? He may look a little different from your average human-shaped fighter, but give him a chance.

'He's too big.'
Ridley's size is hardly an argument. Smash is meant to bring fan-favorite Nintendo (mostly) characters into playable fighting form. As long as a moveset can be created for them then they are Smash-capable. Ridley size would not interfere with this. Bowser is a good example, as he has been much larger than Ridley ever has been in some games, but in other games (even Smash) he has been downsized to fit whatever role he is given. Ridley's role has always been as a boss. (an important one, at that) It's only natural for him to be large and imposing for this role. Ridley's role in Smash? To fight ofcourse! So he would be easily downsized so he could do so with the rest of the Nintendo all-stars.

@AndThen As for the ground thing, he will most likely float kinda like mewtwo but he will be flapping his wings the whole time.

@ Rhinos I know i'll ignore him. See above for boss arguement.

Hey guess what mushroomed mario, save you for last.

Oo big scary guy with a lot of posts and rep. I don't care if I make enemies. If that's how I have to get my point across, so be it. I won't let, as Rhinos says, a prick like you get in my way. I am not a 'noob'. A noob is not about their post count, it's their ideas, their lack of knowledge. So you have no business to call me a noob because i'm new to THIS forum. So when am I worhy of getting to use failed. When I am an ******* like you. And I have a question, do you want Waluigi in Brawl?

Last edited:
mushroomed_mario, I'm going with Wreked on that one. You can't just look at his post count and "discriminate" him.

Anyway, Wreked--Wow. Quite the argument there. Down to the speed percentages. The only reason I couldn't see Ridley in Brawl...is his "personality". When I play with every other character, I feel like that character. If I'm Link, I feel heroic and skilled, when I'm Bowser, I feel powerful and dangerous. When I imagine playing as Snake, I feel stealthy and tactical. When I look at Ridley, and I imagine myself playing as him...I can't. I feel like Ridley is a thoughtless boss-- and that's it. I know you made a counter-argument for him being a boss, but I'm saying something else. Like, when I played Metroid games, I felt like he was just an obstacle, and I had to figure out how to beat him. I didn't think of him as a character; just an obstacle. That's the only reason I couldn't see him in Brawl. Otherwise, great argument. We'll have to wait and see.

My god the Wii owns... said:
mushroomed_mario, I'm going with Wreked on that one. You can't just look at his post count and "discriminate" him.

Anyway, Wreked--Wow. Quite the argument there. Down to the speed percentages. The only reason I couldn't see Ridley in Brawl...is his "personality". When I play with every other character, I feel like that character. If I'm Link, I feel heroic and skilled, when I'm Bowser, I feel powerful and dangerous. When I imagine playing as Snake, I feel stealthy and tactical. When I look at Ridley, and I imagine myself playing as him...I can't. I feel like Ridley is a thoughtless boss-- and that's it. I know you made a counter-argument for him being a boss, but I'm saying something else. Like, when I played Metroid games, I felt like he was just an obstacle, and I had to figure out how to beat him. I didn't think of him as a character; just an obstacle. That's the only reason I couldn't see him in Brawl. Otherwise, great argument. We'll have to wait and see.

I can see where you're going on this. I won't flame you for it because I in a sense feel that way too. I think it comes from never really playing Ridley first hand. We always play AGAINST him, not with him. So the being able to control him may have something to do with it. But I will hopefully feel when I get to play as him in Brawl, I will feel speed, power, recovery, and all around greatness with him. That's my worst nightmare though, that they may make Ridley suck.

hey he started the ****..and i was 90% asleep when i said that, i usually don't care about **** like that...as for the previous post, why would you flame him anyways, even if his arguement was weak, and i was discriminating him because he used the word failed when i was just making a valid point, and he dismissed it in a quite immature fassion

plus i was saying he had a chance to get in, sure i might not want ridley in ssbb but if he's in it, i won't mind that much

"he should just be a boss"
i odn't believe this, like andross he could be an assist trophy, allthough i wouldn't mind that much if he was a playable character

"he would look awkward"
this is correct, think of an average character, let's just go with mario...DK and jigglypuff is way more closer to mario than ridley could ever be, no matter how much sakurai remakes him, he would set a way higher level of lankyness than any of the other characters, plus he would be a big character..with low percentages and speed.....just dosn't fit in, small characters=fast and weak
big characters=slow yet strong

"too big"

e's big in the metroid games, copmare him to samus in the metoid games, samus is one of the tallest people in ssbm, in order for him to be in there he would have to be slightly taller than samus, which just wouldn't fit in..

mushroomedmario said:
hey he started the ****..and i was 90% asleep when i said that, i usually don't care about **** like that...as for the previous post, why would you flame him anyways, even if his arguement was weak, and i was discriminating him because he used the word failed when i was just making a valid point, and he dismissed it in a quite immature fassion

plus i was saying he had a chance to get in, sure i might not want ridley in ssbb but if he's in it, i won't mind that much

"he should just be a boss"
i odn't believe this, like andross he could be an assist trophy, allthough i wouldn't mind that much if he was a playable character

"he would look awkward"
this is correct, think of an average character, let's just go with mario...DK and jigglypuff is way more closer to mario than ridley could ever be, no matter how much sakurai remakes him, he would set a way higher level of lankyness than any of the other characters, plus he would be a big character..with low percentages and speed.....just dosn't fit in, small characters=fast and weak
big characters=slow yet strong

"too big"

e's big in the metroid games, copmare him to samus in the metoid games, samus is one of the tallest people in ssbm, in order for him to be in there he would have to be slightly taller than samus, which just wouldn't fit in..

In any of you're posts I FAILED to see that you said that you think Ridley has a chance of being in as a PC.

Boss- Ridley as multiple forms so his Meta form could be a boss. His metal form could be an AT. His original form could be a PC.

Akward-"too big" "resize" Ridley could easily be resized. Look at the first pic in the first post. He's just above Samus's height. Now look at the many sizes of Bowser. Remember him in 64. He was about I don't know 10x mario's size. Sunshine, well I don't remember but I think he was pretty big. Now look at him. He got resized. So could Ridley.

Back