Sick of Competition

AtomicB said:
Zack and Wiki is a good example of using the controller well. 3rd parties have made it seem like the Wii remote is only good for replacing buttons with gestures, but that's simply not true.

Heres an example from a Zack and Wiki puzzle. You have a key with two ends. There is a key-hole, but the end is the wrong way. So rather than pressing a button to flip it over, you just flip over the Wii remote to use the other side.
Another example is using the end of the handle of a broom to get a key off a painting. When you go to get the other piece, a trap door opens. You see a pair of eyes staring at you and opening the trap when it sees you come near.

So what do you do? You flip the Wii remote over and use it as a paint brush.

What would also be pretty cool is a sword game for the Wii. What? It can be done.

Exactly! THAT'S what I'm talkin about! Game makes CAN be creative with the wii remote! They are still thinking of it in terms of a BOTTON controller and not as a MOTION controller and thus the lack of creativity with using it in games. But I hope they will adjust to it in time, and when that happens, we will see some truly amazing games!

Last edited:
romj said:
Exactly! THAT'S what I'm talkin about! Game makes CAN be creative with the wii remote! They are still thinking of it in terms of a BOTTON controller and not as a MOTION controller and thus the lack of creativity with using it in games. But I hope they will adjust to it in time, and when that happens, we will see some truly amazing games!

of course games can creative, just that many people are used to setting there holding the controller and press buttons for hour, they don't quite like this new idea, and so they bash Wii as stupid.

kmcheng said:
of course games can creative, just that many people are used to setting there holding the controller and press buttons for hour, they don't quite like this new idea, and so they bash Wii as stupid.

Yes, exactly.

I'm confused by this though. The gaming industry has undergone changes before and I don't remember those changes generating this much anger. The directional pad, the analog stick and rumble all have changed our interface with games, so why is the wii generating so much contempt and anger?

romj said:
Yes, exactly.

I'm confused by this though. The gaming industry has undergone changes before and I don't remember those changes generating this much anger. The directional pad, the analog stick and rumble all have changed our interface with games, so why is the wii generating so much contempt and anger?

the change this time is way too much, the controlling structure and the game playing method is completely different.

MrKlown said:
Not new Darkprinny I just simply don't get it. All consoles are good with certain things so why say one is better than the other in the first place.

It's really just an excuse to fight over who has a bigger weiner. Hopefully I'm allowed to say that.

SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!!..

no one wants to read that huge block of words you threw together in 5 mins..

space it out..

kmcheng said:
the change this time is way too much, the controlling structure and the game playing method is completely different.

How so? Can you tell me more? I'm really curious about this issue.

romj said:
How so? Can you tell me more? I'm really curious about this issue.

since the nes era, the main way of controlling has been pushing buttons. Over the years, there have been small changes like analog sticks, rumble and stuff. But now the wii came and chucked all that out of the window. it revolutionized the controlling by motion sensing. so people who are used to standard generic thumb pad are now pissed off. they cant adpt to change very well. (wat a bunch of whiners)

vashivihan said:
since the nes era, the main way of controlling has been pushing buttons. Over the years, there have been small changes like analog sticks, rumble and stuff. But now the wii came and chucked all that out of the window. it revolutionized the controlling by motion sensing. so people who are used to standard generic thumb pad are now pissed off. they cant adpt to change very well. (wat a bunch of whiners)

NOW I understand!

All the other changes were incremental. The pressing bottons was never REALLY changed.....untill now with the MOTION SENSING. A completly DIFFERENT change from tradition....wow.

Thank you.

PS.

I noticed another kinda anger towards the wii. I noticed a lot of people feel that it will ruin gaming as we know it. It's like Nintendo did something wrong by marketing it to potential new gamers, instead of exclusivly marketing it and it's games to seasoned players. Why is there so much contempt for so called "casual" gamers?

Why didn't people get this angry at Sony when the PSX and the PS2 came out? I mean both machines brought vedio games into the mainstrean, that had to mean they appealed to new players, aka, "casual" gamers. I wonder why people are so angry now, since the wii is basicly doing what Sony did back than. What is so different now?

well, they afraid the new way of gaming in Wii will ruin what they used to do in game play for years, so they are mad.
for classic gaming, it is pressing buttons, added analog sticks and motion feedback afterward. But yes, the changes are still small and incremental, no big changes.
Wii game, on the other hand, still press some buttons, but the role of buttons is greatly reduced, replaced by the combination of pointer and motion sense technology to form a whole new game playing method, totally changed the way we play games.

kmcheng said:
well, they afraid the new way of gaming in Wii will ruin what they used to do in game play for years, so they are mad.
for classic gaming, it is pressing buttons, added analog sticks and motion feedback afterward. But yes, the changes are still small and incremental, no big changes.
Wii game, on the other hand, still press some buttons, but the role of buttons is greatly reduced, replaced by the combination of pointer and motion sense technology to form a whole new game playing method, totally changed the way we play games.

Thank you for your answer. I agree.

Last edited:
Did you ever think that rather than people being "afraid" that they just don't like it? So far they have plenty of reason not to. The Wiimote has yet to do something that can't be done on a gamepad, and a gamepad would work better for most of these things. The WiiMote will always just have buttons and an X/Y axis (analog sticks) mapped to gestures that don't work well. I doubt it will ever actually be superior to what it is replacing. Also even if it was a fact and couldn't be argued that the Wiimote was a better control system, there are still the games and other factors of the Wii. "Hardcore" gamers aren't going to be too satisfied playing Nintendo games......

For me, if gaming playing is still keep pressing buttons, why do I need console system? The only different between console and computer game would be, press buttons on gamepad and on keyboard.
But, for Wii, it brings gaming playing to a whole new level, that's why I buy it.

Back