The Official Pokemon Challenge Thread - Black/White Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello internet!

I just (yesterday) started a Nuzlocke on Pokemon Heartgold and I was wondering if it would be accepted because I followed all the rules and haven't beta Falkner just yet, I've just been grinding up my team...

I'm gonna do an update just because I need to do one per gym so:

I booted up my game, then created a character and named her Gold. I got all my options and stuff, and I set the text speed to fast and the frame to purple. I then went over to Elm's and got a Cyndaquil (m), which I named Tambora, after the volcano in Indonesia. I went to Mr. Pokemon's and back, and all that good stuff, when Elm called and Elm called and apparently Silver stole some Pokemon. I ran into him in Cherrygrove city and KOed his Totodile with ease. After thta, I named him, told my mom to save my money, and then Ethan showed me how catch a Rattata.

With that, I ste out on my journey. Encounter on Route 29: Hoohoot. I caught it and name it Cosmic (m). (Ya know, for the cosmic owl?) I then went up to Route 40 and caught a Geodude (f). I named it Zuma for Zuma rock in Nigeria. (It was the only "monolithe" thta sounded the slightest bit female.) I continued to Route 30, where I encountered a Rattata, Remmy, whom I caught. On Route 31, another Rattata apperaed, and I KOed it. I got my encounter fr Dark Cave, a Zubat (f), whom I named Bella. I got to violet city, (after receiving a VS. Recorder from Ethan) and I trained at the Sprout tower, and after beating that sidequest, beta the the two gym trainers in the gym, before going to grind my team up to lvl. 14. (I haven't finished yet.)

Calm Cyndaquil, Tambora lvl. 11 (m)
Brave Hootoot, Cosmic lvl. 11 (m)
Modest Zubat, Bella lvl. 7 (f)
Serious Geodude, Zuma, lvl. 9 (f)
Sassy Rattata, Remmy, lvl. 14 (m) (And may I mention hes the top %?)

Last edited:
The girl from GSC is (oh-so-aptly) named Crystal, actually.

Welcome t' the forums, amigo. =) I'd be happy to accept your Challenge, but it's not actually a Challenge. Standard fare Nuzlockes aren't applicable for a spot in our Hall of Fame, only Combined Nuzlocke Challenges. T'is mainly to encourage people to do somethin' even more difficult. 'Course, you're still welcome to post updates at your leisure. 'Specially if you'd like to convert your Nuzlocke to any of the Combined Nuzlocke Challenges.

The girl from GSC is (oh-so-aptly) named Crystal, actually.

Oh well. It was 4th Gen and I'm not gonna name myself Lyra...

Welcome t' the forums, amigo. =) I'd be happy to accept your Challenge, but it's not actually a Challenge. Standard fare Nuzlockes aren't applicable for a spot in our Hall of Fame, only Combined Nuzlocke Challenges. T'is mainly to encourage people to do somethin' even more difficult. 'Course, you're still welcome to post updates at your leisure. 'Specially if you'd like to convert your Nuzlocke to any of the Combined Nuzlocke Challenges.

Am I eligible for any other challenges? Because I've already used items, I've evolved... *sigh*

Anyways, I'll post my updates here anyways, because this is my first ever Pokemon Challenge and I think it'll be good to document them...

Doin' a Nuzlocke for your first Challenge? Heh, that's mighty ballsy. I wish ya the best'a luck then.

Harmonia-White Update

Three weeks ain't very soon, but 'ey. I'm known for my lack of punctual reliability when it comes to these things. >_>;

My entire team was only lv. 13 when I arrived in Nacrene. Taking on the gym trainers was nearly outta the question, as the one with a lv. 17 Herdier nearly made me white out. Had t' go level grind for awhile on the outskirts of Pinwheel Forest; actually had trouble against the ****in' wild Pokes. ._.; 'Til Pidove evolved, it was quite literally a struggle with frequent visits to the nurse by the forest's entrance. With Tranquill at lv. 21 and my Panpour 'n Munna at lv. 18, I decided to finally take on Lenora. Equipped everyone with a Chesto and got to it. Wasn't lookin' forward to this.

Herdier Intimidated Panpour, and I switched to Unfezant as planned. It used Take Down, which was a tad short of a 2HKO. This allowed me to Roost the damage back and Quick Attack every few turns. Lenora wasted her Super Potion on Herdier as a result; again, just as planned. Once it was KO'd, the real problem was sent out. I expected a Retaliate and obviously had to switch. Panpour was my weakest Poke, so I regrettably sent 'em out as fodder... and Watchog used Leer. lolfail

I had Panpour smack the opponent with Rock Smash before it's inevitable KO, though I didn't get the defense drop. This is where the battle really begins; out goes Munna to Yawn Watchog, hoping it'd tank a Crunch. But again, Lenora foolishly orders a Leer, allowin' Munna to get out without takin' a single hit. Tranquill easily takes the Crunch as Watchog falls asleep, allowin' me to use an X Attack and X Defend 'fore it wakes up and counterattacks. Watchog couldn't even 3HKO after the X Defend. One Super Potion was the only thing needed for Tranquill to win that exchange (don't wanna risk crits/defense drops when Roosting or somethin'). Even if it spammed and Hypnosis, I had a few other X items t' use. X items ftw. Basic Badge get!

Wasn't motivated to play any more since level grinding bores me t' death. Next time I boot up my DS, I'll be forced to catch a new team. Dunno what I'll search for... maybe a Pansear. Not gonna catch a Fighting-type though. Throh/Sawk might be useful for the end-game, and I'd rather have a Gurdurr for Brycen than a Timburr @ Rock Throw for weak ol' Burgh.

Even with a team of three, I had t' level grind a lot. It's official, the rules need changing since forcing even three Pokes is too many this early on. So yeah, I've updated the rules.

Updated Harmonia Challenge Ruleset

Updates to the rules are bolded.

1. After obtaining each badge, you MUST catch an entirely new team of Pokemon equal to or greater than the number of badges you have. If that many new species can't be caught, catch as many as possible. You are never required to catch more than four Pokemon, even after obtaining five or more badges. You must release/permanently box your current team as soon as you catch the first Pokemon for your new team.

2. The first Pokemon encountered when it's time to catch a new team MUST be caught and used. If you fail to catch that Pokemon, you MUST find another of the same species and catch it for your team prior to catching any other Pokemon.

3. If you catch a full team of six, you may NOT catch any more Pokemon until you are required to make a new team.

4. After beating a gym leader, you may NOT catch Pokemon in ANY location you have traveled through prior to arriving at that gym's city for the first time.*

5. If you're playing a version which lets you battle Gym Leaders out of order, do NOT defeat them in the wrong order.

6. You may NOT obtain and/or hatch eggs. You may NOT conduct any trades, be it with another game or in-game.

7. Pokemon required to be boxed/released may NOT be kept and used as an HM slave. N does not approve of Pokemon slavery.

8. You may NOT use Revives in the middle of a battle. N would never repeatedly send his Pokemon to be knocked out.

9. The Harmonia Challenge may not be combined with the following for a Combined Challenge: Monotype, Scramble, or Single.

10. The following is a list of game-specific clauses.

Hoenn games: You may catch Pokemon in the desert area of Route 111 after defeating Flannery, despite already traveling through the non-desert part of the route.

Johto games: When traveling to Kanto for the first time, you will catch a new team one final time, and may catch a single Pokemon from an area you've already visited. After obtaining any Kanto badges, you are not required to catch a new team.

*In the case that Rule #4 cannot be followed because no locations are left to catch ANY Pokemon, you are to obtain a full team of Pokemon by catching the first, and only the first Pokemon encountered in any areas of your choice. You still may not capture any Pokemon or species from an evolution line you have already obtained.

If at any time you're forced to use this exception, please post why you believe it is required before advancing any further in your Challenge. This is both to ensure you aren't forgetting an area you can capture Pokemon at, or so a new clause may be created to solve the issue.

Hello internet!

I just (yesterday) started a Nuzlocke on Pokemon Heartgold and I was wondering if it would be accepted because I followed all the rules and haven't beta Falkner just yet, I've just been grinding up my team...

I booted up my game, then created a character and named her Gold. I got all my options and stuff, and I set the text speed to fast and the frame to purple. I then went over to Elm's and got a Cyndaquil (m), which I named Tambora, after the volcano in Indonesia. I went to Mr. Pokemon's and back, and all that good stuff, when Elm called and Elm called and apparently Silver stole some Pokemon. I ran into him in Cherrygrove city and KOed his Totodile with ease. After thta, I named him, told my mom to save my money, and then Ethan showed me how catch a Rattata.

With that, I ste out on my journey. Encounter on Route 29: Hoohoot. I caught it and name it Cosmic (m). (Ya know, for the cosmic owl?) I then went up to Route 40 and caught a Geodude (f). I named it Zuma for Zuma rock in Nigeria. (It was the only "monolithe" thta sounded the slightest bit female.) I continued to Route 30, where I encountered a Rattata, Remmy, whom I caught. On Route 31, another Rattata apperaed, and I KOed it. I got my encounter fr Dark Cave, a Zubat (f), whom I named Bella. I got to violet city, (after receiving a VS. Recorder from Ethan) and I trained at the Sprout tower, and after beating that sidequest, beta the the two gym trainers in the gym, before going to grind my team up to lvl. 14. (I haven't finished yet.)

Quick update on my (Unofficial) Heartgold Nuzlocke.

After I didn't save after training up Bella (my Zubat) I re-did that, and I began to train Zuma, (my Geodude) but she sustained serious damage from a Belsprout, so I moved my training to Dark Cave.

After reaching level 12, partially out of laziness and partially out of realization, I decided that Zuma would probably level up after she sweeped the gym.

I started the battle with Falkner, and after KOing his Pidgey, he sent out his Pidgeotto, and it used gust. Zuma almost fainted because of Zuma's lack of Sp.Def.. I sent in Remmy. I then switched out to Cosmic. I used Hypnosis, and it hit. Then I used UPROAR. I had forgot that it woke up the opponent. Then...

... Pidgeotto

...killed

...Cosmic.

After that, Bella finished the Pidgeotto off and I recieved TM51 and the Zephyr Badge. [/spoiler]

Last edited:
Puttin' past updates in a spoiler... why the hell didn't I think'a that? ._.;

And thus, the first victim is named... RIP Cosmic the Hoothoot. Falkner truly isn't a Gym Leader to mess with in Gen 4, 'specially not during a Nuzlocke. He might be the most dangerous first gym leader overall.

Always sad if a Pokemon gets defeated in a Nuzlocke :(

I'm not getting motivated to play the Harmonia challenge because of the grinding too....

Hello internet!

After I didn't save after training up Bella (my Zubat) I re-did that, and I began to train Zuma, (my Geodude) but she sustained serious damage from a Belsprout, so I moved my training to Dark Cave.

After reaching level 12, partially out of laziness and partially out of realization, I decided that Zuma would probably level up after she sweeped the gym.

I started the battle with Falkner, and after KOing his Pidgey, he sent out his Pidgeotto, and it used gust. Zuma almost fainted because of Zuma's lack of Sp.Def.. I sent in Remmy. I then switched out to Cosmic. I used Hypnosis, and it hit. Then I used UPROAR. I had forgot that it woke up the opponent. Then...

... Pidgeotto

...killed

...Cosmic.

After that, Bella finished the Pidgeotto off and I recieved TM51 and the Zephyr Badge.

Another update on my Unofficial Heartgold Nuzlocke!

After the murder at the Violet City Gym, I left the gym and got a call from prof. Elm. He told me to pick up the Monek egg from the Violet City Pokemart. I went there and got the egg (along with a super potion from my Mom). After that, I went back down to Route 31, encountered a Zubat/Rattata (I can't remember) and killed it. I scolded myself before remembering that that was the same route that I had already grinded on. I continued down the path and went the dock way, since I had no interest in Bullet Seed and wanted to fight the Fishermen.

Afterwards, I went through Union Cave and accidentally KOed the Zubat I encountered. The same thing happened with the route that you go on before you get to Azalea Town. I went and did the Slowpoke Well, (WHERE I ACCIDENTALLY KOED MY FIRST ENCOUNTER AGAIN) and defeated the Rocket Grunts with ease.

I then went to the PokeCenter and healed up and went to grind/try to hatch the Monek egg. After grinding Remmy to level 20 and Tambora to level 18, the Monek egg hatched! I nicknamed it Monek even though it was male, wasn't quiet nature, and didn't have Serene Grace as its ability. (I've decided to rename it Monek II once I get to Goldenrod). Because Monek hatched, I decided to do something eventful and go fight/Destroy Silver. I opened with Monek, to see what he would lead with and to get Monek XP. I then went in with Bella, who took 20 damage from curse. A quick Astonish and it was down. I switched in Monek to get XP, but it sent out Crocanaw, and the only Pokemon that werent weak to water/weak were Bella and Remmy. I didn't want to send in Remmy because he had already been trained and Bella was only lvl. 16, (but remeber, she had taken 20 damage). A hasty attack and Bella fell... And died.

I finished the battle with Remmy and then went but Bella in the RIP box. (RIP boxes are OK, right? Or do I have to release them?) I then went back to grinding. (which I'm doing now)

Last edited:
I'm not getting motivated to play the Harmonia challenge because of the grinding too....

Then you'll be happy t' see how the rules have been updated in my last post.

I went and did the Slowpoke Well, (WHERE I ACCIDENTALLY KOED MY FIRST ENCOUNTER AGAIN)

Did that during my second Nuzlocke more times than I can count lmao. Complacency is a Nuzlocke player's worst enemy.

Hello internet!

... Pidgeotto

...killed

...Cosmic.

After that, Bella finished the Pidgeotto off and I recieved TM51 and the Zephyr Badge.

Another update on my Unofficial Heartgold Nuzlocke!

After the murder at the Violet City Gym, I left the gym and got a call from prof. Elm. He told me to pick up the Monek egg from the Violet City Pokemart. I went there and got the egg (along with a super potion from my Mom). After that, I went back down to Route 31, encountered a Zubat/Rattata (I can't remember) and killed it. I scolded myself before remembering that that was the same route that I had already grinded on. I continued down the path and went the dock way, since I had no interest in Bullet Seed and wanted to fight the Fishermen.

Afterwards, I went through Union Cave and accidentally KOed the Zubat I encountered. The same thing happened with the route that you go on before you get to Azalea Town. I went and did the Slowpoke Well, (WHERE I ACCIDENTALLY KOED MY FIRST ENCOUNTER AGAIN) and defeated the Rocket Grunts with ease.

I then went to the PokeCenter and healed up and went to grind/try to hatch the Monek egg. After grinding Remmy to level 20 and Tambora to level 18, the Monek egg hatched! I nicknamed it Monek even though it was male, wasn't quiet nature, and didn't have Serene Grace as its ability. (I've decided to rename it Monek II once I get to Goldenrod). Because Monek hatched, I decided to do something eventful and go fight/Destroy Silver. I opened with Monek, to see what he would lead with and to get Monek XP. I then went in with Bella, who took 20 damage from curse. A quick Astonish and it was down. I switched in Monek to get XP, but it sent out Crocanaw, and the only Pokemon that werent weak to water/weak were Bella and Remmy. I didn't want to send in Remmy because he had already been trained and Bella was only lvl. 16, (but remeber, she had taken 20 damage). A hasty attack and Bella fell... And died.

I finished the battle with Remmy and then went but Bella in the RIP box. (RIP boxes are OK, right? Or do I have to release them?) I then went back to grinding. (which I'm doing now)

ANOTHER (I'm sorry! I have a lot of time during the summer!) Heartgold Nuzlocke Update

***Quick note: I interpreted rule 3 as: you can let Monek die whenever you want to! and also, after reading the rules on the Official Nuzlocke thread, apparently Duplicates clause is on! But I decided that I'm gonna have it off anyways because I don't want to go back though all those routes... OK! ON TO NUZLOCKIN'!

OK, I should probably point out that the reason I didn't take an encounter in Ilex was caue I wanted to headbutt a tree and possibly get a Butterfree/Cosmic II. So anyways, I went on and trained Tambora to level 20, and Zuma to 18 (I figured that Zuma would get XP as it swept the gym.)

I went thru the gym with no problem, and got the badge plus U-Turn. Afterwards I went thru Ilex and after I taught Headbutt to Monek, I headbutted the tree and got... A metapod. A metapod. A fcking metapod. A FCKING METAPOD!

After raging for a considerable amount of time, I went back to the game and KOed my encounter for the new route, a Pokemon I was kinda xcited for. (Drowzee). I then arrived in Goldenrod.

Last edited:
I interpreted rule 3 as: you can let Monek die whenever you want to!

Ain't sure how ya got that from Nuzlocke Rule #3. If a Pokemon faints, it's gone for good. No Revives, no healing, nothin'. Gotta release it.

Rule #3 states that if at any time, you've no more Pokemon alive in both your party or box, it's game over (hence why it's never recommended you box Pokes instead'a release 'em, you might forget if a Poke had died). Gotta erase your save file and start from the beginning; or give up.

3. Whenever you are leveling up Pokemon that have just hatched, you may disregard any and every rule that affect these Pokemon, until they reach level 10.​
This is Rule #3 from the Combined Nuzlocke Ruleset, but since my Nuzlocke isn't a combined Nuzlocke, I guess I'll release/RIP Box Monek II anyways. (There goes my only chance of using of Togetic...) Ah well, it would be too sad if it died anyways...

EDIT: I cleaned up this message A LOT, and I'll be posting a quick update of what I've been doing for the last few HOURS of my time:

TINY SHORT QUICK HEARTGOLD NUZLOCKE UPDATE:

After arriving in Goldenrod, I went straight for the game corner, with this link in hand. 12,100 coins later, Puff the Timid Dratini was added to the team, and Tambora got Flamethrower.

Last edited:
Hey, I have a challenge idea... I drafted up the rules, but Splash_King, you have full creative power.
MONO-MOVE CHALLENGE (awaiting a better name)

1. At any* time during gameplay, a Pokemon may use only the move in the top left corner (1st slot)

2. After a “full” moveset is obtained, if the Pokemon attempts to learn a new move, it must replace the current 1st slot. Moves cannot be forgotten in any other slot except in the case of an HM move or a move that is not acceptable for first slot move. (see rule 7)

3. TMs and Move Tutor Moves are eligible to be learned, but follow the same rules as level-up moves.

4. HM slaves are not allowed, if you want an HM to be learned, you must teach it to one of your party Pokemon, as they will have three open slots.

5. You may rearrange what move is in your first slot at any time, except after you have entered the Elite Four (and in HGSS/GSC, after you have entered Mt. Silver.)

6. If a Pokemon runs out of PP in its move, it may not use any other move, with the exception of: Splash, Selfdestruct, Explosion

7. Moves not allowed to be used as first slot moves: Splash, Selfdestruct, Explosion, Sketch**, Transform, Metronome, Destiny Bond, Power Swap, Conversion, Conversion 2

*The exception is the Reshiram you get in Black/Zekrom in White, as you have no time to rearrange its moveset, and therefore it can use one move in any slot

**Sketch may be used if Smeargle has yet to win a battle, and has no other eligible moves

COMBINED CHALLENGE SPECIFICS:
No Items: No specific rules
Monotype Challenge: No specific rules
Scramble: No specific rules
Single Challenge: No specific rules (this may be inapplicable considering that you’d probably run out of PP)
Unevolved: No specific rules
Speed: No specific rules
Moveset Challenge: Chooses your main move
Battle Tower: No specific rules
Nuzlocke: No specific rules

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back