Those Wacky Americans

Squall7 said:
I stumbled across this video. Is this really what America is like, or is this just the epitome of stupidity from them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkYfYa8ePI

I'd really love to find out what everybody thinks of this.

Q: "What is the currency used in the United Kingdom?"
A: "I don't know. Queen Elizabeth's money!"

Q: "Who's Tony Blair?"
A: "I don't know. A skater?"

Do all british have crooked teeth? Do they all eat tea and crumpets? Are they all "posh?"

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MProK2JZaQs[/MEDIA]

Lol we all know how it works. Dont believe the stereo types.

Shiftfallout said:
Do all british have crooked teeth? Do they all eat tea and crumpets? Are they all "posh?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MProK2JZaQs

Lol we all know how it works. Dont believe the stereo types.
Me(page 1) said:
Surely you understand that the question was asked to get the ball rolling for a discussion.
Factual answer to your question. No. I do not have crooked teeth, I prefer coffee and I have a Marxist view. I am not a stereotype of a British person. In fact, I cannot remember the last non-satirical representation of a British person that did adhere to those specific stereotypes, whereas I have seen many incarnations of the "american idiot".

I realise you are only trying to counterpoint me, and I appreciate your personal aspect. The fact that you quoted me, indicates that either it was specifically targeted at me (the thread starter) or quoted more than you needed to. I have therefore replied as a personally as a British person.

Of course, not saying to believe stereotypes, but sometimes they can be used for a cultural shorthand, and can sometimes be right. The offensive older ones (since cultures change over time, one would expect people/s to grow out of stereotypes that they may have once fitted) are more likely to be incorrect, and even offensive (especially when used as justification).

Well if we're going to play the stereotype game, I'd say that all Europeans are stinky arrogant fools.

En4Neo said:
Well if we're going to play the stereotype game, I'd say that all Europeans are stinky arrogant fools.
Ok,
1. What do you mean by "game"?
2. Stereotypes can be true or false. I stated how this can be the case (admittedly no examples provided)...
3. I find it funny how people refer to people within Europe as "Europeans" when it comes to stereotypes and generalisations. Same with refering to some as "Asians". There's plenty of different native languages and cultures within those Continents. Heck, there's plenty of division in Europe, even politically, so there really is no "European" ideal.
4. If we were to either agree to use stereotypes or agree not to, then it has to be played from both perspectives. There's no use in using stereotypes against another and then when they retaliate switching to the others' philosophy of stereotypes are bad. We either use them or don't. It's a pity some continue the inequality on this front. (by the way, it was a rant on stereotype usage in general rather than specifically used by people on these forums).

Squall7 said:
Ok,
1. What do you mean by "game"?
2. Stereotypes can be true or false. I stated how this can be the case (admittedly no examples provided)...
3. I find it funny how people refer to people within Europe as "Europeans" when it comes to stereotypes and generalisations. Same with refering to some as "Asians". There's plenty of different native languages and cultures within those Continents. Heck, there's plenty of division in Europe, even politically, so there really is no "European" ideal.
4. If we were to either agree to use stereotypes or agree not to, then it has to be played from both perspectives. There's no use in using stereotypes against another and then when they retaliate switching to the others' philosophy of stereotypes are bad. We either use them or don't. It's a pity some continue the inequality on this front. (by the way, it was a rant on stereotype usage in general rather than specifically used by people on these forums).

1. It's called an expression.

2. They can be true or false, but they're not always needed. Especially when there is a good amount of people who aren't the stereotype directed at them.

3. I realise there's differences. I wouldn't at all say France is the same as England having been to both countries. There are many differences in America as well and states with different laws.

4. Ok.

En4Neo said:
1. It's called an expression.
"It was an expression" would have surficed.

2. They can be true or false, but they're not always needed. Especially when there is a good amount of people who aren't the stereotype directed at them.
I agree.

3. I realise there's differences. I wouldn't at all say France is the same as England having been to both countries. There are many differences in America as well and states with different laws.
Ah, but there is this sense of "American values", albeit interpretted differently depending on where in the US you are. I don't really see the parallel of that in Europe (possibly because I'm in the UK), but there doesn't seem to be the same universal values and ideologies system. But anyway, this is a moot point in this discussion.

4. Ok.

It's just I've noticed some try to maintain their ideas about others' unfairly. In Hollywood for example, you have many different ethnic stereotypes portrayed. As soon as an American "privillaged" person is on the screen, the stereotype is not followed as strictly. Take for example, True Lies. Crap movie, but shows the stereotype of the Islamic Terrorist (won't get into that, Islam and Terrorism is on another thread). What kind of character development happens there? To the family, it's ups, downs, All-Action Amercian hero, family finds out that he's a secret agent. His personal journey through the film creates a better 3d character than the terrorist. He only wants one thing, and fights until the end to try and get it. Meanwhile, the mother character faces thoughts of infidelity, gets caught up in a terrorist threat and gets to go on a mission with the main guy again.

Heck, even some of the US/UK joint films were more 3d. Take 51st State (Formula 51 to America). Samuel L. Jackson's Character stays cool throughout, but he's pushed to his limits, shown to be very knowledgable and pretty much a great scammer. His backstory unfolds in a progressive way. It makes him more 3 dimensional. Felix and his ex are also 3 dimensional, showing the relationship they had, the heat between them, the eventual trust in each other etc...

I personally feel like stereotyping in film/media etc... should only be used with characters that go quickly, if at all. The only reason it should be used is to convey a sense of realism without the time to develop the character. If we had a serious modern day drama in inner city somewhere, someone who is "stereotypically" "black" is more realistic than one that randomly pops up wearing a Sari (for example). Without the background knowledge that this person converted to another culture, we would find it out of place and detracting from the main story.

Sorry for rambling. But I hope you can see my points.

SukhKular said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYUbVa7L7w

About 3 and a half minutes in, he talks to George Dubya...

CONGRADULATIONS CANADA FOR LEGALIZING VCRs!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea Canada was on a 20 hour clock.

Rick Mercer is always hilarious. loved this vid. The kid at the end was the best. The mother must have felt like a tard after that. But yea I'm aware all americans arent retarded. But it's always funny to watch vids like these. Just for fun I tried looking for vids on youtube kinda like this one but vice versa. Couldn't find anything. I just found someone doing a little music video to canadian idot by Weird Al. And that song is so true in many ways.

Last edited:
Back