Vacations

Okay, for all the geographically-challenged Americans out there, here's a map:

United_Kingdom_labelled_map7.png

As you can see, Wales isn't in England. If it helps, think of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as equivalent to the states in your own country (but that's not really how they work).

Damn you, now I can't feel superior to everyone else because of my vicinity to British people.

And it's the "but that's not really how they work" that makes us not care in the first place. Britain == Great Britain == England == United Kingdom, and we've done well enough by that.

And a certain Brit I know keeps thinking Texas is a separate country, so y'know, it goes both ways. >>

Edit: This is why you don't matter.
oz-us-uk-map.gif

Last edited:
Damn you, now I can't feel superior to everyone else because of my vicinity to British people.

And it's the "but that's not really how they work" that makes us not care in the first place. Britain == Great Britain == England == United Kingdom, and we've done well enough by that.

And a certain Brit I know keeps thinking Texas is a separate country, so y'know, it goes both ways. >>

oz-us-uk-map.gif
Well... Texas was once a separate country (yes, in the 19th century, but still...). :D

Think of it like this: if you want to know why referring to the UK as "England" is stupid, it's equivalent to referring to the whole of the US as "Texas".

P.S. You should fix that link.

Well... Texas was once a separate country (yes, in the 19th century, but still...). :D

Think of it like this: if you want to know why referring to the UK as "England" is stupid, it's equivalent to referring to the whole of the US as "Texas".

P.S. You should fix that link.

You're preaching to the choir! I just think it's funny how America has this whole infatuation with a Britain that doesn't exist.

Did either of you look at any of these?

camel-toe.jpg

oz-us-uk-map.gif

Texas was one of the 'independent' states before it joined (ie was annexed) into the union, along with the Republic of Hawaii and the Republic of Vermont. That's not to mention the land you nicked off the Mexicans, bought off the Russians, won off the British and forced the French to surrender. Yes, I love US history.

Britain may be far smaller that the US, but that's an advantage. For example, we're about a fortieth of the size of the US, but with a fifth of the population. I think that's rather impressive. We're also Europe's foremost military power, second economic power and our national language, English, is the most spoken and taught in the EU. Pretty impressive for an island that doesn't matter, eh?

Texas was one of the 'independent' states before it joined (ie was annexed) into the union, along with the Republic of Hawaii and the Republic of Vermont. That's not to mention the land you nicked off the Mexicans, bought off the Russians, won off the British and forced the French to surrender. Yes, I love US history.
To be fair, Texas and Vermont willingly joined. I've never quite understood that "manifest destiny" crap though.

Britain may be far smaller that the US, but that's an advantage. For example, we're about a fortieth of the size of the US, but with a fifth of the population. I think that's rather impressive.
It also means we're quite cluttered and there's less room for farmland and nature.

We're also Europe's foremost military power, second economic power and our national language, English, is the most spoken and taught in the EU. Pretty impressive for an island that doesn't matter, eh?
I'd have said Russia was the foremost military power in Europe...

To be fair, Texas and Vermont willingly joined. I've never quite understood that "manifest destiny" crap though.

It also means we're quite cluttered and there's less room for farmland and nature.

I'd have said Russia was the foremost military power in Europe...

'Cluttered'? We're hardly destroying nature reserves for new cities or climbing over each other. Japan has a far higher population density than us, and they're doing just fine.

Oh, and I meant the EU. Bloody Russians and their desire to be more European than Asian...

That's not to mention the land you nicked off the Mexicans, bought off the Russians, won off the British and forced the French to surrender. Yes, I love US history.
We also negotiated the Oregon Territory from you guys. That is, after negotiating it away from Russia and France as well.

And Polk was a brilliant president.

Back