What religion are you?

I'm Christian, but I'm not a very religious person.
I haven't been to church in, oh... 8 years? maybe longer

I'm Christian, but I'm not a very religious person.
I haven't been to church in, oh... 8 years? maybe longer

I go to church every Sunday. I have trouble resisting the temptation to fall asleep every time though.

Alot of atheist here not that i have a problem with that. I think everyone has the right to their own beliefs. I believe the world would be a much better place if we put beliefs and religion aside. On a side note any agnostic's here? just wondering because i'd like to learn a little about agnosticicism.
I used to be agnostic. To me, it really isn't a permanent system like many people make it out to be. Agnostic means "Without Knowledge". The term was coined by Thomas Huxley, a supporter of Charles Darwin. Most people seem to think it is a creed or way to live by. Thomas Huxley didn't intend this at all. Agnosticism is not a creed, it is a method. Agnosticism is a temporary position until someone comes to a more definite conclusion.

I was definitely your age. XD Now I'm 17.

You'll grow out of it. Just stay in church, your parents are doing a good job raising you. ;)

On the topic of parents, I'm glad mine aren't militant believers, they offered me the faith that they believe in, but also taught me about other beliefs and they seemed fine when I told them I have no belief what so ever in God and most likely never will.

When a good friend of mine told his parents that he's an atheist they totally flipped out, I didn't see him outside school for a few months and he never spoke of what they have said/done to him.

You'll grow out of it. Just stay in church, your parents are doing a good job raising you. ;)

You don't know that. Just because his parents take him to church doesn't mean they're not necessarily abusive or horrible parents. I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying forcing religion on someone doesn't make you a good parent.

On the topic of parents, I'm glad mine aren't militant believers, they offered me the faith that they believe in, but also taught me about other beliefs and they seemed fine when I told them I have no belief what so ever in God and most likely never will.

When a good friend of mine told his parents that he's an atheist they totally flipped out, I didn't see him outside school for a few months and he never spoke of what they have said/done to him.
It's things like this that make me grateful to my parents, although it helps that they're not particularly religious anyway.

^The kid just said he was 12.

You don't know that. Just because his parents take him to church doesn't mean they're not necessarily abusive or horrible parents. I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying forcing religion on someone doesn't make you a good parent.
Well, you know what I meant.

So you're not mature enough to have made up your own mind?

How old are you, out of interest?

I'm 12, I just think that the idea of God is kind of unrealistic. I guess I'd say I'm atheist, but I still go to church with my mom. It just sees like someone sat down, wrote a story, and said it was true. There is absolutely no proof of any of this really happening. I could say that I was alive in a past life back when dinosaurs were around, but does that mean it's true, with no proof at all, no one would believe me. Why not think the same about the story of jesus?

I may be taking this in a scientific manner but really, do we have any evidence?

I'm 12, I just think that the idea of God is kind of unrealistic. I guess I'd say I'm atheist, but I still go to church with my mom. It just sees like someone sat down, wrote a story, and said it was true. There is absolutely no proof of any of this really happening. I could say that I was alive in a past life back when dinosaurs were around, but does that mean it's true, with no proof at all, no one would believe me. Why not think the same about the story of jesus?

I may be taking this in a scientific manner but really, do we have any evidence?

Your generalizations aren't looking at Christianity in a "scientific" manner at all. You've already set your mind on it and you're just reassuring yourself of your decision using really skewed logic.

If you think Christianity is that simple to disprove, how is it that many renowned scientists, past and present, were Christians? Or believed in God or some higher power?

People are trying to turn this into a debate thread. What a surprise.

In every day conversation, I really don't like to talk about religion. It's complicated, each person's belief is different.

Back