Why obsess over graphics?

VampiricLugia

Guillotine Fodder
Nov 28, 2006
Vinita, Oklahoma
Why is everyone obsessing over the graphics of the Wii games ALREADY? They're NEW, and the FIRST ones for the NEW console. Do you think they're ALREADY going to be pushing the limits of the console?

And on another note, we should be thinking about how the game flows. The controls, the plot line, how we relate to any of the characters in the game. C'mon people, quit complaining about the graphics, and let's get to pwning!

I think this moreso comes from the newer gaming crowd who didn't grow up on the commodore, atari, NES, super NES etc. They started gaming with the xbox/ps2.

It also comes from the older older generation of gamers who weren't necessarily into games, but are really into sports games now.

True, true....Some of the greatest games EVER came out in pretty crappy 2D, so I know not to go by graphics ^^ Plus I work on 3D Stuff and I know just how hard it is to do all of this, and I can respect the makers of games for their time and effort on modeling and texturing.

Silent-Sniper said:
Perfect example:

Sonic for the Sega -> **** graphics, amazing game play.

Sonic for the XB360 -> Great graphics, awful game play.

That sonic game that is coming out for the Wii looks like it has far better gameplay. And yes I have played that sonic for the x360/ps3.

Well i was a fan of Super Mario Bros in my youth and i still love it. The NES was the only console I evern owned. But since two months ago i got back into consoles and bought the Game cube, PS2, and the Wii. i have to agree with you guys tat graphics isn't everything, and gameplay counts for a lot. but after seeing a freind of mine playing Gears of war on the 360, guess what, I am buying one soon just to play this game. I beleive Nintendo will do greate with the Wii, it is the only console that is actually fun. but the 360 is also fun. so what I am trying to say is that both are important.

more noobs
You cant tell gameplay by looking at it
tempest 2000 looks uter shite but its consantly in people fave ever games list

Depends on the game. Far Cry is going to have mixed feelings on the Wii because on the PC, the graphics were really what makes it immersive. There's also statments in some reviews that say the Wii isn't powerful enough and the framerate "often dips below 30fps", not sure now much lower though.

I'm not saying I care heaps about graphics, just that some games require realistic environments in order to be completely immersive.

Zessler said:
Well i was a fan of Super Mario Bros in my youth and i still love it. The NES was the only console I evern owned. But since two months ago i got back into consoles and bought the Game cube, PS2, and the Wii.
why did you buy a wii and a gamecube? the wii plays gamecube games. or did you buy the gamecube a while ago?

for me its half and half, if the game has bad graphics then the game play should be beter, well now that i think about it the game play is mainly the thing to be lookin for! the game play is like 80% of what to look for cause if u got bad game play then ur shirly not goin to like the game and ive play some games with bad game play in my life! and i agree that thats y the 2D games r so good cause they had great game play and those games have great story lines too!!1!!

i've played so much 3D, and when i got new super mario bros. DUDE IT*S GREAT! LoL. and also 2D. I Don't care about graphics too much. Everything better than n64 is GREAT:p

I grew up on Nintendo, so I still play Super Mario, Duck Hunt, etc. Graphics don't make the game, but kids these days seem to think so :nono: Hell, over Thanksgiving break, I dusted off my Metal Gear Solid cd's and played through the entire game on my Playstation...twice! Sure, the graphics aren't great anymore, in fact they're downright horrible in some areas compared to today's standards, but that's not the point; the point is that I enjoyed playing through the games because, back when it was released in 1998, it pulled me into its gripping plot, fantastic dialog and voice acting, and superb gameplay mechanisms...not to mention the Easter Eggs in that game! And even to this day, I've yet to play a game that has even come close to rivaling my experience I had with the MGS series. As for Nintendo, I will admit...I STILL play Donkey Kong Kountry....I absolutely LOVE that game, and this past summer I played it :) again, the graphics aren't great, but the gameplay is just down right addicting! You don't see these types of games anymore :frown2: (maybe I'm not searching hard enough though :) )

I think we should be lucky ;) We were spoiled with great games throughout the 90's :thumbsup:

Mmm NES...SEGA. I can't wait for all the oldies to come out. I rememeber playing all of them when I was little. I grew up on Nintendo and Genesis (except SNES), after time I got a PS, my favorite game on that was Driver (or was it driver 2?) It had a kickass plot, voice acting, I might play that again. However I'm too busy right now with Zelda.

I don't obsess about graphics, but I DO wish they were better. They're not bad, but they're not good, either.

720p at least -- 480x720 is such a bad resolution to play video games on. It's about like playing at 640x480 on a PC. What resolution do you usually pick to play a game on, on a PC? I generally pick 1680x1050 or 1280x720, whatever is available. Of course, I don't play PC games too much.

Back