Wii Bashing

masterjedi

Jedi master
Aug 8, 2007
I've been reading a lot of gaming blogs lately and kind of keeping track of the progress of the Wii vs the PS3 and the 360 just because I want to know how the three systems are stacking up against each other and which systems have the best games and such. I knew I was going to buy a Wii because it was the cheapest and it was different, but I wasn't sure about the other two.

After almost a year of the "next gen console war" the thing I've read more than anything is..."the Wii doesn't have any good games." I'm really at a loss to understand this claim. Obviously the 360 has got a bigger library because it's been out longer. But the Wii and the PS3 were released within two days of each other yet only the Wii gets tagged with the "no good games" label. In my estimation, each system only has about 4 games that have gotten very solid reviews in their first year.

The PS3 has Motorstorm and Resistance, but I don't really know anything else it's got going for it that the 360 doesn't have as well. I feel like you can't really count games like Madden/NCAA because those games are multiplatform. What other games are out right now for the PS3 that make it's library so much better than the Wiis? People keep mentioning Lair, Heavenly Sword and Little Big Planet, but none of those games have actually been released yet. When Nintendo fans mention Metroid Prime 3, SSBB and Galaxy, detractors are quick to point out that those games haven't even been released and therefore have no bearing on the current state of the system. Also, those games are just "more of the same old games from Nintendo."

My other question is how do people claim the Wii has no good games? I rarely see Zelda mentioned, yet that game got great reviews from everyone. The thing I see written about Zelda now is that it's just a Gamecube port and is therefore no good. I never see anything about Trauma Center which I thought was a very good game. I don't see anything about Godfather: Blackhand Edition either, which also got very good reviews. And even though Mario Stikers Charged has gotten good reviews for both it's "offline" and online play, the thing I see written about that is "it's just another Mario game and is therefore no good."

What I can't understand is how people can be excited about GTAIV, which is like the 5th or 6th actual GTA game, Dynasty Warriors 6, Halo 3, Gran Turismo 4, FFXIII and MGS4 if people are so tired of the "same old games over and over." Many of gamings most popular franchises are on their third or fourth sequel, yet only the Nintendo sequels get grief for being sequels. Am I reading too much into this? I'm really trying to be objective here, but no matter what angle I look at it from, the recurring theme seems to be, bash the Wii because it's the popular thing to do.

You have to remember the console "waiting game". Each of the big companies released a semi hit title on release to reel in buyers. Xbox has been out longer, but is Halo 3 out? No, of course not. By the end of this or next year Final Fantasy will have hit hard and so will have Super Smash Bros, and Halo 3.
Well if they do it right Metal of Honor 2 as well:p.

All the consoles are just waiting to release info/their game (X-mas etc). Whichever hits stores first isn't exactly the winner.

I have realized that people really underestimate the Wii too, but the funny thing is its been on the market the shortest yet its only about 1 million console sales away from taking the next-gen console wars lead away from 360

I can't really say too much about this topic becuase it is talked about so often, everywhere. People like to protect their systems of choice.

Actually I read today that the Wii has passed the 360 in worldwide sales, but the data came from VG Chartz which is frequently accused of being inaccurat in the gaming blogs that I read. Still, according to them the Wii has sold 10.57 million units worldwide while the 360 has sold 10.51 million units worldwide.

masterjedi said:
I've been reading a lot of gaming blogs lately and kind of keeping track of the progress of the Wii vs the PS3 and the 360 just because I want to know how the three systems are stacking up against each other and which systems have the best games and such. I knew I was going to buy a Wii because it was the cheapest and it was different, but I wasn't sure about the other two.

After almost a year of the "next gen console war" the thing I've read more than anything is..."the Wii doesn't have any good games." I'm really at a loss to understand this claim. Obviously the 360 has got a bigger library because it's been out longer. But the Wii and the PS3 were released within two days of each other yet only the Wii gets tagged with the "no good games" label. In my estimation, each system only has about 4 games that have gotten very solid reviews in their first year.

The PS3 has Motorstorm and Resistance, but I don't really know anything else it's got going for it that the 360 doesn't have as well. I feel like you can't really count games like Madden/NCAA because those games are multiplatform. What other games are out right now for the PS3 that make it's library so much better than the Wiis? People keep mentioning Lair, Heavenly Sword and Little Big Planet, but none of those games have actually been released yet. When Nintendo fans mention Metroid Prime 3, SSBB and Galaxy, detractors are quick to point out that those games haven't even been released and therefore have no bearing on the current state of the system. Also, those games are just "more of the same old games from Nintendo."

My other question is how do people claim the Wii has no good games? I rarely see Zelda mentioned, yet that game got great reviews from everyone. The thing I see written about Zelda now is that it's just a Gamecube port and is therefore no good. I never see anything about Trauma Center which I thought was a very good game. I don't see anything about Godfather: Blackhand Edition either, which also got very good reviews. And even though Mario Stikers Charged has gotten good reviews for both it's "offline" and online play, the thing I see written about that is "it's just another Mario game and is therefore no good."

What I can't understand is how people can be excited about GTAIV, which is like the 5th or 6th actual GTA game, Dynasty Warriors 6, Halo 3, Gran Turismo 4, FFXIII and MGS4 if people are so tired of the "same old games over and over." Many of gamings most popular franchises are on their third or fourth sequel, yet only the Nintendo sequels get grief for being sequels. Am I reading too much into this? I'm really trying to be objective here, but no matter what angle I look at it from, the recurring theme seems to be, bash the Wii because it's the popular thing to do.
all the games you mentioned in the second last paragraph are ports, so therefore are not included as wiis good games. the wii just hasnt gotten its exclusive killer app yet which is what defines a game. ps3 has resistance which, well, is popular and an awesome launch title that can still keep people playing to this day. the wii is (as ive heard) a recycled last gen console in terms of games since it mainly gets ports.
games like dynasty warriors shouldnt even be mentioned.. games like halo are only on their 3rd game and is still very young. things like the mario characters have been used and used countlessly. the game industry wants to see a new killer app giving the wii a new breath from nintendo, which it has yet to give, which is why people are bored of the same old games over and over.

The Wii is starting to get its good games out now, and into the early part of 2008. Who knows what else is out there in 2008, hopefully like others have said a wicked new franchise, something we have not seen before.
At least with the "repeated games and franchises" they are improving visuals, and adding new and better things. But eventually, we will need something new.

Also, the thing with Nintendo's franchises, yeah they have been around awhile, but its no different from the other consoles franchises. So the Wii should not be getting so much hate on that end of things, because both the ps3 and 360 both have that case as well, ps3 more so than the 360.

Last edited:
We are in the middle of a new Franchise the Wi .... games. Including Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Music. There will be many more as well, and they'll all be pretty decent.

Also to say Grand Theft Auto is young is kinda flawed. GTA 4, will actually be the 6th GTA game, 8th if you include expansion type games. (Grand Theft Auto, GTA: London 1969, GTA2, GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, & Liberty City Stories). And if Halo 3 is young because it's the 3rd game, then SSBB is young, because likewise, it is only the 3rd game. Strikers is very young as well. Just because Mario is in the game, doesn't make it unoriginal, they;re simply inserting a beloved character in the space of where anyone else would be.

CantGetAWii said:
The Wii is starting to get its good games out now, and into the early part of 2008. Who knows what else is out there in 2008, hopefully like others have said a wicked new franchise, something we have not seen before.
At least with the "repeated games and franchises" they are improving visuals, and adding new and better things. But eventually, we will need something new.

Also, the thing with Nintendo's franchises, yeah they have been around awhile, but its no different from the other consoles franchises. So the Wii should not be getting so much hate on that end of things, because both the ps3 and 360 both have that case as well, ps3 more so than the 360.
not really. have you played BioShock, Gears of War, or upcoming Mass Effect or Too Human? Those are new original games/franchises that have and are coming to the 360. PS3 has Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Resistance: Fall of Man.
SSB is young but we've seen it on 3 consoles. Mario Strikers is good but its a sequel, its by no means a killer app, just a filler. Wii needs a new original killer app that should be mature if they ever wants to get a name for itself.

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
not really. have you played BioShock, Gears of War, or upcoming Mass Effect or Too Human? Those are new original games/franchises that have and are coming to the 360. PS3 has Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Resistance: Fall of Man.
SSB is young but we've seen it on 3 consoles. Mario Strikers is good but its a sequel, its by no means a killer app, just a filler. Wii needs a new original killer app that should be mature if they ever wants to get a name for itself.

Your very right, but they are all shooters and since nintendo wants to keep its 'squeaky clean image' it will not get a very good defining game as those unless you count metroid. Now I am not calling them kiddy I am just saying they look after the family first then the hard core gamers second, that is the market strategy that worked wonders with wii and ds.

project hammer, sadness, and that 'day after tomorrow' type game they were gonna bring out (cant remeber the name) those games are all new franchises exclusive to the wii, ninty has some killer apps up there sleeve...

Ness said:
project hammer, sadness, and that 'day after tomorrow' type game they were gonna bring out (cant remeber the name) those games are all new franchises exclusive to the wii, ninty has some killer apps up there sleeve...

Raid over the river or something.

I can't see them being killer apps to be honest, the preveiws arnt speaking wonders.

Ness said:
project hammer is canned.
sadness and that other game are good games they could bring out, but havent, those just might be the games that define the wii.

Sovieto said:
project hammer is canned.
sadness and that other game are good games they could bring out, but havent, those just might be the games that define the wii.

I doubt those game's will define the wii, Sadness looks like a good tho in my opinion.

The game's that look to define the wii are sadly the obvious one's, mario galexy for graphics and metroid for game play.

Back