Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

One of the best things about the Wii (and it shows in worldwide sales) is the price. The low price of the Wii shows how Nintendo designed the wii to target the casual market. The only thing that nobody new, was how big that casual market actually is.

I agree that the only thing wrong with the Wii is 1080 support. In the next 5 years a HD TV will be standard in most households. I think the graphic quality of the Wii is fine as is, but they need to have that 1080 support if they plan on selling the Wii for the next 5+ years.

My opinion may be off target with most of Western game players, but I like to blame the PS3 and 360 consoles for the degredation of quality video games. There was a time when video games were good because they were quality, now any outfit can buy the newest and greatest graphics engine, make a game and sell it for a profit. I'm actually sick of seeing a hundred commercials about a great looking FPS, I was sick of FPS games 5 years ago, but they still come out.

So far Wii IMO is worse than Gamecube. But, they do have better Nintendo titles this time around. As for third party, they're not getting **** this time. Atleast gamecube had alot more 3rd party titles that were good. This time though, xbox and ps3 are better in graphics, so developers dont waste there time downgrading there games for the gamecube. Also the gave developers who do work with Wii seems to only be casual games. But, I did HEAR at a website that MGS4 was gonna also be on 360, with the possibility with a cut down version for Wii, but I wouldnt expect it to actually happen.

and yes, Wii is selling more, but did you guys know Wii is 3rd place in software sales?

yeh, I didnt even know that, i was shocked when I found out. I couldnt understand how since they sold so much hardware. But then when you think about it its obvious. Most people in these forums only have a few games, especially compared to xbox 360 owners. The avg 360 owner has 30+ games. While on Wii the average only seem to have like 5-7. Lack of games that are actually good, but a huge abundance of games for kids and "family gamers"

Bliss said:
read the whole thread to understand better

Funny, because I've been doing that.
If your talking about high-def visuals and what not, oh well.

Wii is doing wonders with the software it has now, console sale wise anyways.
Plus half the games don't look that bad.

Just because it doesn't have the power of the other 2 consoles, doesn't mean it doesn't have the power to be considered next gen.

Half the games? I would say a fifth or MAYBE forth look okay. When I go thru the list of games on gamestop there's alot of stupid games. It makes picking a game very easy. But there's only a little bit to pick.

T3kNi9e said:
Half the games? I would say a fifth or MAYBE forth look okay. When I go thru the list of games on gamestop there's alot of stupid games. It makes picking a game very easy. But there's only a little bit to pick.

agreed...

CantGetAWii said:
Funny, because I've been doing that.
If your talking about high-def visuals and what not, oh well.

Wii is doing wonders with the software it has now, console sale wise anyways.
Plus half the games don't look that bad.

Just because it doesn't have the power of the other 2 consoles, doesn't mean it doesn't have the power to be considered next gen.

im not just talkin high def visuals im talkin all around....it lacks a lot as well...and like T3kNi9e said half is no where near the good selection of wii titles...

the only thing that seperates the wii from others is its innovative controls other then that..ehhh..we'll just have to wait and see.

T3kNi9e said:
yeh, I didnt even know that, i was shocked when I found out. I couldnt understand how since they sold so much hardware. But then when you think about it its obvious. Most people in these forums only have a few games, especially compared to xbox 360 owners. The avg 360 owner has 30+ games. While on Wii the average only seem to have like 5-7. Lack of games that are actually good, but a huge abundance of games for kids and "family gamers"

I'm going to go ahead and say bullshit to that and the whole post. Where are you getting these inaccurate numbers? The last I checked (which was very recent), the PS3 is 3rd in software sales not the Wii.

No... PS3 is 3rd in HARDWARE sales. Would you like me to cite my info? I can provide links, I just have to go find them. Also, how do I know the avg player of 360 own so many? Well, if you go to xbox forums you can click there gamertag and it shows all the games and its usually ALOT. I only have 11 xbox games, because ive only had it for like 3 months, and im the minority in that. People have ALOT more than me.

LoganSix said:
Well, that's scientific.

EA software sales through the end of September:

Xbox 360 - $218 million
PlayStation 2 - $73 million
Nintendo Wii - $59 million
Nintendo DS - $47 million
PlayStation Portable - $21 million
PlayStation 3 - $17 million

DING DING DING...

Some people need to open there eyes and stop letting Nintendo brain wash them.

Anyway, for the other guy, I know your gonna ask me to provide link, so I took the liberty of finding the interview again.

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200711/N07.1119.1804.10693.htm?Page=2

Game Informer said:
GI: While Wii sales have been extremely strong versus the competition, software sales haven’t been there. Why do you think the software attach rate has been so low, and what can Nintendo do to counter that?

Harrison: With the software-tie ratio, the attach-rate ratio, is a function of two things—how much software you sell and how much hardware you sell. If you’re selling a lot of hardware, the software-tie ratio can be depressed. On the other hand, if your hardware sales are slowing, as we see at the end of life cycles for other products, suddenly your attach ratio shoots up into the double digits. We’re very confident with where the Wii is. Even with the Wii Sports game included, we’re still getting three and almost four games sold per unit, so to us that’s very positive. We’re sure that that’s going to grow in the next year.

So look at that, Nintendo's fix for the problem is to give free games when you buy Nintendo Wii. They dont even care too much as long as hardware sales negate the software sales.

Uh, dude, can you read? $59 million is greater than $17 million.

Xbox 360 - $218 million
PlayStation 2 - $73 million
Nintendo Wii - $59 million
Nintendo DS - $47 million
PlayStation Portable - $21 million
PlayStation 3 - $17 million

When did I say PS3 was in 3rd lol? He said that, not me. I said Wii is in 3rd... and I said PS3 was last in hardware.

EDIT: See...

RedProdigy said:
I'm going to go ahead and say bullshit to that and the whole post. Where are you getting these inaccurate numbers? The last I checked (which was very recent), the PS3 is 3rd in software sales not the Wii.

:lol: ok i am lost wit this lil convo u 2 are having

Back