Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

Geez, why do people continue to come here to knock the Wii?? I don't go to PS3 or 360 forums and start knocking those systems...oh wait, maybe it's because there are better things to do than knock the other systems.

See, I bought a Wii. I enjoy the Wii. Like any system, it is flawed. That doesn't stop me from playing it. My car, it's flawed. I still drive it. Sure, I could get a different car. It would have different flaws. I like my cars flaws--gives it character, I guess.

Here's the thing. The Wii isn't going to become a flop overnight. It's the most highly demanded system for a second year in a row. They could stop making games for it right now and people would still play their Wiis for another year before getting bored of it. But, since it's more of a casual thing, it will get treated like a board game--people will get it out at parties and family things. Which means it's a lot like Monopoly, or Catch Phrase, or Uno, or dominoes, or whatever games people keep around forever. So long as the hardware doesn't completely fail, it will be around for a long, long time.

Which means, in summary, that developers could continue to make cheap little minigame compilations and people will still buy it because it encourages group interaction. It's all about people getting together in one physical place and having a good time. The more we play long-distance, online, the more we're going to crave the direct interactions.

That's all I'm trying to say.

devitek said:
Geez, why do people continue to come here to knock the Wii?? I don't go to PS3 or 360 forums and start knocking those systems...oh wait, maybe it's because there are better things to do than knock the other systems.

See, I bought a Wii. I enjoy the Wii. Like any system, it is flawed. That doesn't stop me from playing it. My car, it's flawed. I still drive it. Sure, I could get a different car. It would have different flaws. I like my cars flaws--gives it character, I guess.

Here's the thing. The Wii isn't going to become a flop overnight. It's the most highly demanded system for a second year in a row. They could stop making games for it right now and people would still play their Wiis for another year before getting bored of it. But, since it's more of a casual thing, it will get treated like a board game--people will get it out at parties and family things. Which means it's a lot like Monopoly, or Catch Phrase, or Uno, or dominoes, or whatever games people keep around forever. So long as the hardware doesn't completely fail, it will be around for a long, long time.

Which means, in summary, that developers could continue to make cheap little minigame compilations and people will still buy it because it encourages group interaction. It's all about people getting together in one physical place and having a good time. The more we play long-distance, online, the more we're going to crave the direct interactions.

That's all I'm trying to say.
i see your point but at the same time not every body is always able to have people over, not every body has family in the state or country that they live in, not every one is up at normal hours. Im not trying to say that one is better than the other but people have got to stop thinking nintendo is the ony system that puts out good games, that they are the only system that puts out innovating games, that they are the only system that brings people together in gaming because its not true.

Every one thinks the casual craze began with nintendo, when in fact it was already in the happenings in the industry period, with the decline in difficulty in games. I would love to just talk about the wii on wii chat but every ones arguments start with how they outsold this how they do this and biased untrue comments about other systems they obviously know nothing about. You are right about the board game thing but the simple matter is that is not satisfying customers that want new games, and want varity. every one wants to say all 360 is, is shooters, and all ps3 is, is rpgs well nintendo is starting to be all party games that arent worth 50 bucks. Like where did the innovative controlls go? every thing is just like the other. There is nothing new or exciting about the wii any more. Every thing is a copy off another.

Thats why if nintendo isnt going to step up and make more games, then they do need third parties to step up and make better games. Its already been said and written in articles that nintendo is leaving most of the game making(in US) up to the third parties, and that they are going to continue to make games for nintendo japan. That right there is a load of BS and as a consumer if you are going to do that then you need to demand better quality from your thirdparty partners. Thats why if they keep that up they will fall off. You cant just keep releasing crappy games and mini games and think that its going to last. Untill some one makes a new game that utilizes innovative controls and gameplay, the shaking and flying arm movements are going to get real old real fast.
NOBODY IS KNOCKING THE WII, ITS A GREAT MACHINE, THE GAMES NEED TO STEP UP A COUPLE NOTCHES.

Last edited:
yungblood6 said:
whats with the nintendo fans always talking about when it comes out or they could do this, and maybe if this, like come on. What does nintendo have now that is so innovating? What do they have now that will make you go wow. With games getting easier and easier how long will these games like mario galaxy and metroid and all that stuff last? not long in my opinion. You guys are always guessing whats going to come next when the other consoles tell you what you are going to get next. I remember some one on here saying that they thought about the wii back in the middle of the gamecube era, well if they where thinking about it for that long you would think they would be able to tell you what they have instore for you. but all i see is Wii fit, smash, and mario kart. Half the people that got galaxy have already beatin it so how many more times do you think some one is going to play the same game before they get bored? The great releases are not consistant and when they do say something is comming it always gets pushed back. Nothing that nintendo has given a date for has been kept, nothing. thats ever since launch. Not updates, not surpises, not games, and not info. I can almost garentee you that if they don't pull something out the hat the wii craze will be dead by this summer. oh unless they just push what they have coming back some more.

Galaxy and Metroid don't get boring.
At least not to me, and I am sure some other people feel the same way.

A lot of people have beaten Galaxy by getting 60 starts, many don't feel the need to get all 120, so its not entirely easy to beat and people will still end up playing it. Plus Galaxy is an amazing game and looks great, enough appeal there to continue playing, hell I still played Mario 64 after I beat it too, who cares?

With Metroid, there is the different difficulty settings to go through, as well as being able to pick up all the power ups. Seems like enough incentive to me to keep playing those games.

As with new Wii games coming out?
Firstly every System has delays, seriously its usually a part of one consoles life.
Second, Wii is looking to have a good 08 in the works actually.
Take in to consideration the following, I will say the ones you mentioned first.
There's Brawl, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, New StarFox in the mix, Animal Crossing Wii, Disaster Day Of Crisis, Fragile, first real good baseball game for the Wii quite possibly with the release of MLB 08 (or whatever EA makes), No More Heroes, as well others I am forgetting right now.

But look at some of those, Animal Crossing was a good Gamcube hit, and with online functions and the possibility of MMO, it could be a great Wii hit. StarFox, well enough said there. Many love that series. The other games there could end up being sleeper hits, who knows? And Brawl is Brawl, same with Kart. Wii Fit, despite aiming at the casual with probably end up selling wonders, most likely anyways.

Wii's future ain't as bleak as you make it seem.
Also, the "Wii Craze" you speak of won't fade in the Summer, since some of those games are coming out after Summer of 08.

CantGetAWii said:
Galaxy and Metroid don't get boring.
At least not to me, and I am sure some other people feel the same way.

A lot of people have beaten Galaxy by getting 60 starts, many don't feel the need to get all 120, so its not entirely easy to beat and people will still end up playing it. Plus Galaxy is an amazing game and looks great, enough appeal there to continue playing, hell I still played Mario 64 after I beat it too, who cares?

With Metroid, there is the different difficulty settings to go through, as well as being able to pick up all the power ups. Seems like enough incentive to me to keep playing those games.

As with new Wii games coming out?
Firstly every System has delays, seriously its usually a part of one consoles life.
Second, Wii is looking to have a good 08 in the works actually.
Take in to consideration the following, I will say the ones you mentioned first.
There's Brawl, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, New StarFox in the mix, Animal Crossing Wii, Disaster Day Of Crisis, Fragile, first real good baseball game for the Wii quite possibly with the release of MLB 08 (or whatever EA makes), No More Heroes, as well others I am forgetting right now.

But look at some of those, Animal Crossing was a good Gamcube hit, and with online functions and the possibility of MMO, it could be a great Wii hit. StarFox, well enough said there. Many love that series. The other games there could end up being sleeper hits, who knows? And Brawl is Brawl, same with Kart. Wii Fit, despite aiming at the casual with probably end up selling wonders, most likely anyways.

Wii's future ain't as bleak as you make it seem.
Also, the "Wii Craze" you speak of won't fade in the Summer, since some of those games are coming out after Summer of 08.
see your point. when is starfox coming out? Dude im a 25 year old man im not playing animal crossing, its bad enough i played my sims it was cool for the first week then all the cutsie **** was nerv wrecking. i have heard mixed opinions on no more heroes will have to wait till more info on controlls are released. I am going to try brawl out this time but im a virtual fighter, tekken and mortal kombat fighter, i don't know if i can get into that, but we'll see. If they use the wii motions in baseball i might get it i forgot what the other baseball game was i rented recently but you hit with the A button how useless, and lazy was that development? whats the wiimote for if all you do is hit the damn buttons.

yungblood6 said:
see your point. when is starfox coming out? Dude im a 25 year old man im not playing animal crossing, its bad enough i played my sims it was cool for the first week then all the cutsie **** was nerv wrecking. i have heard mixed opinions on no more heroes will have to wait till more info on controlls are released. I am going to try brawl out this time but im a virtual fighter, tekken and mortal kombat fighter, i don't know if i can get into that, but we'll see. If they use the wii motions in baseball i might get it i forgot what the other baseball game was i rented recently but you hit with the A button how useless, and lazy was that development? whats the wiimote for if all you do is hit the damn buttons.

Not sure about StarFox, but I posted some news about it the other day on here.
Seriously though dude, Animal Crossing is so addicting, no matter how old you are its so fun :lol:

As for the baseball game I think you may be talking about The Bigs or something. I am sure the new one will make good use of the controls, look at the other EA sports games.

Bliss said:
its not that developers got a late start..its the fact that a lot of 3rd party developers have there engines graphically way to high for the wii ..its actually easier for them to make the inrense graphic game then it is for a game on the wii, they gave to down grade in order to make a game.. like the article i posted above says "the wii is nothing more then an advanced gamecube".

You have an interesting point, Bliss. I have been thinking for a while now that Nintendo may have made a grave error in making the wii so underpowered compared to the PS3 and 360. I look in Game Informer and notice that game development for those two systems are well underway with top notch graphics and stories, while wii develpment is very scarce and of low quality.

I notice that most game developers see the wii as a kids toy and thus make games aimed at kids that comprise little effort and story, while the other two gaming platforms are seen as real gaming machines aimed at adults and thus they get quality games for them.

Every wii owner should take this as a slap in the face cuz it shows an attitude twards us that is comtemptable> Every poorly made port and quickly cobbled together game is an insult to our intelligence and ability to appreciate good quality in games. I think this is so cuz the game makers see the wii as a toy, a toy parents buy thier kids, a toy that developers feel that they can toss movie games on and a few low guality minigames and parents will eat it up, after all, they are shopping for thier kids, they don't know much about gaming in general, they ain't gonna be able to destinguish tween a good games and crap.

No wonder kids and others want a 360. They want to be takes seriously as a gamer and consumer of their product and the 360 and PS3 both satisfy this need quite nicely.

This negative image is now self perpetuating. People go to a game store, look at what is avalible on the wii; ports of games from older systems, party games, minni games and movie adaptations in brightly colored boxes and go, "gag" :rolleyes: and turn away in disgust.:wtf: I know I have reacted with disgust and disapointment when I look at what is mostly avialible for the wii, compared to whats on and is comming to the other systems.

AS a wii owner I want to be taken seriously, I want developers to think of me as a discriminating consumer of their products and make games of high quality for the wii. But it comes all the way back to why I responded to you in the first place; why development for the wii has been scarce and of low quality. That the wii is too "weak" to be taken seriously by a lot of people, developers and consumers alike.

Last edited:
$J-MONEY$ said:
Ok I sat down with the Wii for a good bit tonight and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first outing. Im getting used to it a bit more, but the pointing seems a bit lacking in accuracy for me. I was one of the top CTF players in UT way back when with KB/mouse. Im just establishing a reference of my hand/eye coordination and not bragging. Im not nearly that good with the remote, but can my skills be improved, or is the fact that the remote is IR based aiming will there always be dead band, and lag? I really can play FPS games! :smilewinkgrin:

My Wii runs though a 50" Samsung DLP TV. It just seems like the remote trails behind a bit and is slow movement wise for me. Its not as connected like my mouse is and Im not expecting it to be that perfect. I hope Ill get better the more I use it. Im not abandoning the Wii, but I can already see lots of room for improvement! Thats for another thread though!

I think your wiimote settings aren't calibrated properly. You can adjust the wiimote sensitivity and speed in the wii setting menue. I hope this helps the lag you noticed. Plus your distance from the tv and where the sensor bar is put may effect how the pointer works, you will see that in the setting menue also.

romj said:
You have an interesting point, Bliss. I have been thinking for a while now that Nintendo may have made a grave error in making the wii so underpowered compared to the PS3 and 360. I look in Game Informer and notice that game development for those two systems are well underway with top notch graphics and stories, while wii develpment is very scarce and of low quality.

I notice that most game developers see the wii as a kids toy and thus make games aimed at kids that comprise little effort and story, while the other two gaming platforms are seen as real gaming machines aimed at adults and thus they get quality games for them.

Every wii owner should take this as a slap in the face cuz it shows an attitude twards us that is comtemptable> Every poorly made port and quickly cobbled together game is an insult to our intelligence and ability to appreciate good quality in games. I think this is so cuz the game makers see the wii as a toy, a toy parents buy thier kids, a toy that developers feel that they can toss movie games on and a few low guality minigames and parents will eat it up, after all, they are shopping for thier kids, they don't know much about gaming in general, they ain't gonna be able to destinguish tween a good games and crap.

No wonder kids and others want a 360. They want to be takes seriously as a gamer and consumer of their product and the 360 and PS3 both satisfy this need quite nicely.

This negative image is now self perpetuating. People go to a game store, look at what is avalible on the wii; ports of games from older systems, party games, minni games and movie adaptations in brightly colored boxes and go, "gag" :rolleyes: and turn away in disgust.:wtf: I know I have reacted with disgust and disapointment when I look at what is mostly avialible for the wii, compared to whats on and is comming to the other systems.

AS a wii owner I want to be taken seriously, I want developers to think of me as a discriminating consumer of their products and make games of high quality for the wii. But it comes all the way back to why I responded to you in the first place; why development for the wii has been scarce and of low quality. That the wii is too "weak" to be taken seriously by a lot of people, developers and consumers alike.

you hit the nail right on the head, thats what i been tryin to say this whole time, but in not so many words...i agree with u 100% on everything u said..and i hope someone 3rd party or not take that step forward into taking the wii seriously...:yesnod:

they need to be releasing things like halo and assasins creed and games like that........its all kids games (nutin rong wit tat)

in my opinion, wii won't fail!

we already have some 3rd party suppot......so many new wii games in just a year!! much more awesome games to come.....!!

oxhaker said:
they need to be releasing things like halo and assasins creed and games like that........its all kids games (nutin rong wit tat)
Microsoft owns Halo so I highly doubt it'll ever be on the Wii. ;)

As for Assassins Creed and other PS3/360 games, unless graphics were toned down a lot they probably wouldn't run on the Wii anyway - and if graphics and complexity of the gameplay were toned down for the Wii, we just have another crappy port.

romj said:

WOW dude verry well said exp about the smack in the face its what ive been trying to say about the games on the wii forever, but nobody wants to listen. They treat the wii gamers like they are kids and people without the know how to play games. Thus they just keep making crap and thus the not knowing parent, or gamer keeps buying it. Yes the casual gamers bumped your sells but its the real gamers and nintendo fans that are what kept you in the race in the first place. I for one am not satisfied when the console i know has great potential gets filled with crap and every one wants to say oh its ok look how many wii's they sold. Yea they get rich while you get to play crap. How much they sold isn't benefiting you, so stop caring so much about how much they sold. Start caring about how much longer you have to put up with kid, and crap games on your system before they do something about it.

Today i just went to the game store to get a game for the wii because its been neglected these last few weeks because of COD4 and its a shame the crap that is out. The only good games are games that have already been out for months, and the one game that was even worth considering even though i realy didnt want it was galaxy, so i just sighed and picked it up.

Last edited:
Bliss said:
you hit the nail right on the head, thats what i been tryin to say this whole time, but in not so many words...i agree with u 100% on everything u said..and i hope someone 3rd party or not take that step forward into taking the wii seriously...:yesnod:

Me too Bliss! But after reading and obeserving a few wii news and gaming sites over the last few days, I have come to the conclusion that me and you both are gonna have to wait for a while longer!

I for one and getting rightly pissed off at the **** that's being thrown on the wii! God almighty! The graphics in these games! I rather be looking at vomit that that crap! :mad5: Don't even get me started on somma the senarioes and play machanics in these new coming games! What the hell are these developers thinking!?!? :wtf:

I swear, it like these companies put their lowest teir teams on making games for the wii, and put thier top teir teams on the XBOX360 and the Playstation 3. The overall quality of these games are MILES above the wii. It is soo irritating! (I have my own personal theory about why, but I'll post that somewheres esle.)

People asked if the wii is in danger of repeating the gamecube. I see this as a valid question now. If the developers don't get their asses in gear, that yes, the wii will go down in flames like a firework, burning brightly and prettily and that nothing.

People ain't gonna put up with this to much longer! That is why they come on wii sites, expressing their disapointment with the quality of games on the wii, wanting to sell it cuz they are bored outta their minds with it. I can't help but think they feel a bit insulted and cheated also. I know I do and I love the wii! After all a consumer wants to be taken seriously, not expected to eat garbage and like it.

The wii could be somehing great, but it might not get that chance cuz of it not being seen as a valid gaming machine, and that is tragic for us consumers. Yes it sells well, but will people continue to play it? Cuz in the end, a games machine is as good as the games made for it.

The thing that bugs me is that good games CAN be made for it, Super Mario Galaxy proves this. You said that you hope a third party will some how, some way make a game that will show they take the wii seriously. I hope so too, cuz Nintendo had already done it and nonna these third parties are listening. We will just have to wait and see.:yikes:

yungblood6 said:
WOW dude verry well said exp about the smack in the face its what ive been trying to say about the games on the wii forever, but nobody wants to listen. They treat the wii gamers like they are kids and people without the know how to play games. Thus they just keep making crap and thus the not knowing parent, or gamer keeps buying it. Yes the casual gamers bumped your sells but its the real gamers and nintendo fans that are what kept you in the race in the first place. I for one am not satisfied when the console i know has great potential gets filled with crap and every one wants to say oh its ok look how many wii's they sold. Yea they get rich while you get to play crap. How much they sold isn't benefiting you, so stop caring so much about how much they sold. Start caring about how much longer you have to put up with kid, and crap games on your system before they do something about it.

Today i just went to the game store to get a game for the wii because its been neglected these last few weeks because of COD4 and its a shame the crap that is out. The only good games are games that have already been out for months, and the one game that was even worth considering even though i realy didnt want it was galaxy, so i just sighed and picked it up.

Hell yeah, Youngblood6! Sales don't mean **** if the games on the system are ****! What the wii needs is SUSTAINING power, and it sure as hell ain't gonna get it with the puke crap that being made for it now! There was a poll done, it was revealed that 67% of wii owners DO NOT play the wii no more! Wow, I wonder why?

Go read what I said to bliss above you, cuz I think you would like it too.

Last edited:
Back