Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

JeremyGTS said:
the GC did have better hardware and graphics than PS2 you are just in fanboy denial there... last wave of ps2 games were great looking ill say that but if you run the specs you will see if you even understand... the PS2 was the worst of the 3 in terms of hardware.

OK well first off i am not ANY console "fanboy"...and 2nd ur right i just looked at the specs for the 2 and the cube is better..sorry..i will admit wheni am wrong

Bliss said:
OK well first off i am not ANY console "fanboy"...and 2nd ur right i just looked at the specs for the 2 and the cube is better..sorry..i will admit wheni am wrong

ok ok ill take that back and say sorry about that...

i just found this article and found it interesting its from 11-3-2000 kinda old but a nice read about the differences between the 2 educated myself a lil as well

http://cube.ign.com/articles/086/086984p1.html

I agree with the pc comments i'm currently in the process of upgrading my pc i'm waiting for the Intel wolfdale chips to drop

I already have the case and other components so a CPU M/B 2 gigs of ram and a geforce 9 when it drops will cost me about £500 and i'll have a pc that'll play anything woohoo

Anyways back to the subject of Nintendo a few promising titles are in the pipline the ones I am interested in are

Zack and Wiki
Smash Bros
No More Heros
Red steel 2
Project O ( kings story)
Monster hunter 3
News on the new zelda :)

Ok so maybe I overlooked the fact that the Wii is only a year into it's release and developers need the time to get to grips with the in's and outs of the console hopefully in 2008 we will see some big annoucements at E3 etc,

Fingers crossed that big developers like Square, Gearbox , Bungee, Rockstar will see that the Wii is doing well in sales and that the console is a hidden gem

I can honestly say out of all 3 consoles I absolutley love the nintendo Wii it's amazing console I actually found the Xbox 360 quite dull in comparison mainly due to the pads

Is it me? or after playing a wii the controls just feel meh

My mate showed me Gears of war and I was like wow eye candy but this game is actually quite repetitive and dull it's the same old thing

Mario Galaxy when I first played this I was like whoa i actually smiled and thought to myself this is incredible use of creativity and immersion what a absolutley stunning game.

I havent had that much fun with a game since the N64 days!

Metroid 3 also was a awesome game I cannot stress how much I have enjoyed this game!

Hopefully big things will happen for nintendo I don't agree with the fact that the wii can magically become overclocked I belive that it's going to take time for the developers to maximise the graphical potential of the console and if Nintendo keep hammering out games along the lines of Metroid , Zelda, Mario

then hell they cant go wrong!

JeremyGTS said:
ok ok ill take that back and say sorry about that...

i just found this article and found it interesting its from 11-3-2000 kinda old but a nice read about the differences between the 2 educated myself a lil as well

http://cube.ign.com/articles/086/086984p1.html

WOW :yikes: that was A LOT of reading...my eyes hurt now..lol..but yea that is something def did not know...off the top of my head i wouldve thought it would be the other way around, just couldnt believe actually how difficult it is for 3rd party developers to make a game for ps2 and how easy it was for the gc..but on the other hand they did say that in a way they did like that better cuz they got to write the code themselves to make things better...idk..to much thinking for me right now, not good to think so much when ur sick..:lol:

Bliss said:
..if that is true they are smart and stupid at the sametime, smart cuz the casual, new gamer is always gonna have something new, but on the other hand the "hardcore" gamer, they are losing them,

I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo targeted casual gamers and not 'hard core gamers', which has shown to be a far better gameplan than anyone expected. Rather than splitting/fighting for the smaller subset of 'hard core' gamers against Microsoft and Sony, they get to dominate the market by monopolizing the casual gamers...Brilliant I say!

And yes, sales and money dictate where 3rd party companies will focus their attention. You keep talking about it being 'difficult' to downgrade which is absolutely not true...that is a non issue. Experienced development teams have access to the tools and can easily migrate/port as needed. Development tools are available to easily create titles once and compile them for multiple systems. Even us Indie game developers can use cheaper engines like GarageGames' torque engine which is able to create PC, Xbox, WiiWare, and Wii disc based games. Developers (big and small) have recognized the Wii as a big chunk of sales pie and they are changing their console plans as Wii speak :)

cangelo said:
Even us Indie game developers can use cheaper engines like GarageGames' torque engine which is able to create PC, Xbox, WiiWare, and Wii disc based games.

wat do u mean there "us" are u a game developer?

Bliss said:
wat do u mean there "us" are u a game developer?

Yes, but the point was that even small developer groups have access to reasonably priced tools for cross platform/console development...negating the argument that that it is difficult for larger 3rd party companies (who have plenty of cash and resources) to develop their games for multiple consoles due to technology issues (ie: Madden Football Games).

cangelo said:
Yes, but the point was that even small developer groups have access to reasonably priced tools for cross platform/console development...negating the argument that that it is difficult for larger 3rd party companies (who have plenty of cash and resources) to develop their games for multiple consoles due to technology issues (ie: Madden Football Games).

ok so wat happened to assassins creed? how come that didnt get on the wii?...and who u do u work for?

Bliss said:
ok so wat happened to assassins creed? how come that didnt get on the wii?...and who u do u work for?

cause ubisoft is a bunch of little girls who dont want the same people who play rayman raving rabbids to even have access to assassins creed, as if they would even play it.

lol look wat i found
ac_wii_poster_what1126.jpg

Picture Link

also on another site i found this
We reported on a leaked memo from Ubisoft that stated Assassin’s Creed would be coming to the Wii, along with PC, 360, and PSP. Perhaps that leaked memo is slowly gaining credit. Thanks to 4th reich for the heads up!

i found it here

Last edited:
Exactly. We'll get third-party support when we need it. It's not like we don't have some already.

I've got to add fuel to the fire, though. PS3 outsold the Wii in Japan. ZOMG!! Wait a minute...PS3 outsold the Wii, but the Wii is sold out. What's that? You can find a PS3 just about anywhere? Oh. Well, I guess it's not that big of a deal then.

LoganSix said:
Here's another thing that will make the Wii long lasting. The WiiWare channel is going to be opened up to the independent game maker. This means, some guy with a great idea, but with out the backing of Ubisoft, EA and the like, can design and create his game and advertise it on WiiWare. With millions of Wii owners out there, there's a good chance a bunch of people will download the game and, if it is good, recommend it to other Wii owners. That's providing innovation in gaming.
You say that like thats the first time its been done and thats what im talking about. Thats why i say to all the people that don't know any thing about the other two consoles to shut up(not you), because independent games have been on both systems and selling well. This idea was actually stolen from microsoft, they have been letting independent people make games for live arcade for almost two years now. Playstation is doing the same as well, as soon as i get the names of the top sellers ill give them to you. Thats not innovating if its been done already.

LoganSix said:
I'm sorry, but that other level is what PC gamers have been experiencing for years. All the PS3 and 360 are doing is creating semi-upgradeable PC's. Is it the goal for gaming consoles to emulate PC's/DVD players/Home Entertainment Systems?

The current issue with PC's is that you are stuck with the block. You can only add and upgrade so many times until the block needs to replaced. Entertainment should be component based. Your movie playing, video recording, gaming, music listening should be separate, but compatible with each other.

I will give you that it would be nice to have chat features on the Wii. But, the Wii uses Bluetooth to communicate with the remotes. That means, it could easily use Bluetooth headsets for talking. It's just not implemented, just like the microphone in the remote. Why hasn't Nintendo implemented that feature? Who knows, maybe they want to give 3rd parties a chance. Or maybe they want to roll things out slowly so that people are more and more interested in coming back to their gaming console. Nintendo pushed an upgrade that allowed us to use the keyboard in the web browser, it could do the same for a headset.

The interaction with the Wii is what is innovative and what sets it apart. Take "Rock Star" for example. In order to play it on the 360, PC, or PS3 you will need to buy multiple accessories to play each instrument. Then you have to attach those instruments to the console. The Wii remote can already be a drum, tambourine, harmonica (not 100%), put the chuck and remote together and you have a trombone, cymbals, base drum, trumpet, violin. That's innovation.

When the WiiBoard comes out, those people who like playing skating games will have a new way to play. Or, since it can tell if you squat down or stand up, imagine being able to duck down to hide during a fire fight. Jump on a vehicle and steering with your body movements. That's innovation.
whats with the nintendo fans always talking about when it comes out or they could do this, and maybe if this, like come on. What does nintendo have now that is so innovating? What do they have now that will make you go wow. With games getting easier and easier how long will these games like mario galaxy and metroid and all that stuff last? not long in my opinion. You guys are always guessing whats going to come next when the other consoles tell you what you are going to get next. I remember some one on here saying that they thought about the wii back in the middle of the gamecube era, well if they where thinking about it for that long you would think they would be able to tell you what they have instore for you. but all i see is Wii fit, smash, and mario kart. Half the people that got galaxy have already beatin it so how many more times do you think some one is going to play the same game before they get bored? The great releases are not consistant and when they do say something is comming it always gets pushed back. Nothing that nintendo has given a date for has been kept, nothing. thats ever since launch. Not updates, not surpises, not games, and not info. I can almost garentee you that if they don't pull something out the hat the wii craze will be dead by this summer. oh unless they just push what they have coming back some more.

yungblood6 said:
You say that like thats the first time its been done and thats what im talking about. Thats why i say to all the people that don't know any thing about the other two consoles to shut up(not you), because independent games have been on both systems and selling well. This idea was actually stolen from microsoft, they have been letting independent people make games for live arcade for almost two years now. Playstation is doing the same as well, as soon as i get the names of the top sellers ill give them to you. Thats not innovating if its been done already.

Wait, just...wait. Ok. Starting here:

This idea was actually stolen from microsoft

Independent development has existed ALWAYS. It just does. Nowadays we call it "homebrew". Live arcade is a smooth way of doing it that doesn't require the end-user to buy additional hardware or modify their systems to play these games. The idea isn't really stolen by Nintendo, it's adopted. With all the piracy issues they've been dealing with, this is a smart move that keeps the legitimate homebrew developers and independents in the loop and able to get their titles to users much, much easier.

You know, what's cool about all of this is that each of these console giants is driving the others to excellence. I think the big complaint that everyone has is that Microsoft and Sony didn't drive Nintendo to make a more powerful system--instead, they just tried to be more innovative.

So, if you like the features and specs of the 360, then play a 360. If you like the features and specs of the PS3, play that. If you like the features and specs of the Wii, then you're in the right place. The last time I checked...this was a Wii forum.

Back