Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

Yea Ill be around for a long time. I read tons of news so I dont really come on the board that often.

But I always do these analysis on the business side of things. Nintendo has risen to be the number 3 stock in the Japanese market, and Nintendo is the only manufacturer making a profit on its system. The Wii has sold a **** ton so even if it was a fad there are still so many systems out there that devs will simply be forced to put titles out for it, because the profit potential is there. So no the Wii is not headed towards the game cube days.

My belief is that all current consoles are, technology wise, out dated and that the Wii is in its first generation in its OWN category of video gaming. I dont even classify it as Nintendo's 7th generation console of gaming, because Nintendo broke away from that with the Wii.

wallyson said:
My belief is that all current consoles are, technology wise, out dated and that the Wii is in its first generation in its OWN category of video gaming. I dont even classify it as Nintendo's 7th generation console of gaming, because Nintendo broke away from that with the Wii.

you have a point there....out of everyone that i have debated with here on this thread, you my friend have left me speechless :lol: so for that i shall rep u.:yesnod:

Bliss said:
.. but come on in this day and age if u wanna compete u better fit the needs of the gamer...

Um, since the Wii is outselling the other two "gamer" consoles, wouldn't it be more accurate to say, that if you want to compete, you need to broaden your audience? Oh, and let's not forget that Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii it sells. Microsoft and Sony never made a profit on their consoles.

There are games on the Wii for your blood thirst. How many splatter games do you need? There are non-kiddie games that are also not splatter games. Tiger Woods, NFL, NBA come to mind.

There will be more games of every type available for the Wii. The same argument that people give about the PS3 (only out for a year, wait until next year) is valid for the Wii. It is cheaper for developers to develop for the Wii, they just have to want to. With all the Wii's that have sold, they are starting to want to. The capabilities for good graphics are there on the Wii, the developers just need to be less lazy.

LoganSix said:
Um, since the Wii is outselling the other two "gamer" consoles, wouldn't it be more accurate to say, that if you want to compete, you need to broaden your audience? Oh, and let's not forget that Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii it sells. Microsoft and Sony never made a profit on their consoles.

There are games on the Wii for your blood thirst. How many splatter games do you need? There are non-kiddie games that are also not splatter games. Tiger Woods, NFL, NBA come to mind.

There will be more games of every type available for the Wii. The same argument that people give about the PS3 (only out for a year, wait until next year) is valid for the Wii. It is cheaper for developers to develop for the Wii, they just have to want to. With all the Wii's that have sold, they are starting to want to. The capabilities for good graphics are there on the Wii, the developers just need to be less lazy.

here we go again....

ok first tiger woods, nfl, nba?? come on yes they can be good games but to the true gamer, they are a 1 and done type deal. and as for ur comment of "the capabilities for good graphics are there on the wii" that my friend is FALSE, the only reason why Metriod and Galaxy look so good is cuz and they even said it is cuz it was DRAWN with more detail..

Maybe you should get some friends to play with. I think I could play Tiger Woods as many times over as I have many friends who would play it. It is why people prefer on-line games, because of the human difference compared to AI.

"DRAWN with more detail.." == not being lazy. If you are the "gamer" you say you are, you knew the Wii's abilities before it came out. Did you expect the top of the line graphics?

It seems that you are looking for a game to entertain you for long periods of time. I see why you have picked Alex as your avatar. He had a little problem with keeping entertained and had a bit of a blood lust.

LoganSix said:
see why you have picked Alex as your avatar. He had a little problem with keeping entertained and had a bit of a blood lust.
:lol: :lol: :lol: you really made me laugh..good one :lol:
no but madden and live and all those are come and go games, yea u can play them everyday and somethin new will happen but it does get boring...and i knew EXACTLY wat the Wii was before i bought it..there is a thread i did called "you decide" it has all the hardware soecs for each of the 3 consoles...i had already said that the wii is a 2nd console to be played, how this whole damn thing started was how to keep it thriving, since it has sold so much.

Bliss said:
here we go again....

ok first tiger woods, nfl, nba?? come on yes they can be good games but to the true gamer, they are a 1 and done type deal. and as for ur comment of "the capabilities for good graphics are there on the wii" that my friend is FALSE, the only reason why Metriod and Galaxy look so good is cuz and they even said it is cuz it was DRAWN with more detail..

Agreed, those are 1 and done games. Now, as for the good graphics thing...

There are, in my opinion, a couple of factors that determine good graphics. The one in question now comes down to resolution, textures, polygon counts, that sort of thing. PS3, 360, both rock in those departments from what I've seen. The other factor I see is more "quality in execution", which would be smoothness, framerate, that type of thing. I see a lot of clips of PS3 games that just look choppy to me--they lack that smooth execution of games like Galaxy and MP3. Man, I wish I could cite some specific examples, but I have nothing right now.

I think this is a thing that really falls more on the developers than it does the systems. It all comes down to how well you can write the code, how well you can exploit the features of the system, and how well you can make it feel seamless. I dunno, it all just seems so pointless to say one system is better than another. It really comes down to whether one game is better than another.

Bliss said:
"the capabilities for good graphics are there on the wii" that my friend is FALSE, the only reason why Metriod and Galaxy look so good is cuz and they even said it is cuz it was DRAWN with more detail..
I kind of both agree and disagree there.

The best graphics always appear on a console after a few years. Early PS2 games looked pretty awful, the games that came later looked a lot better.

The art direction in games like MP3 and SMG are excellent because they have put in the effort there, they show that a game dosent need to be in 1080p to look great. There should be better graphics to come for the Wii though, considering that they are both first year games.

I think the main thing holding the Wii back in the graphics department is that the PS2 still lives so its easy and cheap to port games over. The gap between PS2 and Wii should really be the same as the gap between Wii and 360/PS3 when it comes to graphics as the PS2 certainly couldnt run something like SMG but most developers are too lazy to try and really push the hardware at all yet.

Next year there will be no excuses for quick ports or rushed versions of games.

LoganSix said:

i have to agree with you!!

the wii has the "capabilities for good graphics" as you have said, they might not touch the perfect graphics of Ps3, but they are more than enough for me!!

now, gameplay is more important than graphics...

let's not forget the main point: video games are for fun!! the wii's controls make the games more fun, and that's what makes all the difference for wii and nintendo!!

that's why mario galaxy, wii sports and mario party games are million sellers, no matter of stupid reviews, low scores or stuff like this!!

devitek said:
The Wii is fine. There is a list of reasons a mile long pointing to why, but it's fine. Next year we'll start seeing even more intense games than we have in the past month (seriously, RE:UC, MOHH2, etc...these aren't good enough?), and it will just get better and better.
NO really no they are not good enough as you can see. How long do you see yourself playing RE:UC i rented it and was done with it on day three, the next three days i played ghost squad which was even shorter. Mario galaxy it looks good but im just not into that stuff anymore. Where are the games that made you go wow like wii sports cause of the controlls, or like metroid. All i have seen lately is a lot of games that have you shaking and pointing and if you think thats innovation then i feel sorry for this next generation of gamers.

Bliss said:
how this whole damn thing started was how to keep it thriving, since it has sold so much.

I agree, this thread and others like it are all about the argument of "can the Wii last?". What the hardcore gamer doesn't see is what Nintendo has figured out. It's not about providing the most awesome detailed graphic game, it's about making a fun experience for the player. Also, Nintendo also figured out how to bring the non-traditional player into the fold.

Having owned a Pong (the first console) and played Atari, Coleco, Intelivision, Nintendo, Sega, and PC games, graphics always came second to fun in playing. But then I was playing PC Adventure games like Zork, that didn't even use graphics. But, my point is, it is the game play that draws people in. And if you make the game play easy enough, then you draw more people in who would not normally play video games.

Last week I had 2 Wii's setup at my brother's house. We had a 7, 15, 23, 36, 40, 45, and 64 year olds all playing together. 360 and PS3 will never see that demographic. Between my brother (40), my sister ( 45), and myself (36) we purchased 8 games over the last week. We are not considered "traditional gamers". When WiiFit comes out, then all of those teenagers and kids who convinced their mom to get the Wii will be pouting, because the Wii will be occupied.

So, Nintendo has no worries about the Wii lasting. More games will come out for the party gamers, the blood thirsty gamers, and the kiddie gamers. And Nintendo will keep counting all that money they are making off of each console.

yunblood6
The future that the Wii is pointing us towards is total immersion gaming. The holodeck on StarTrek is the future and the Wii takes us a step closer to it by providing real world movements that create real world like outputs into the game. Xbox and PS3 are still just pushing buttons to make a pretty picture move.

LoganSix said:
Last week I had 2 Wii's setup at my brother's house. We had a 7, 15, 23, 36, 40, 45, and 64 year olds all playing together. 360 and PS3 will never see that demographic. Between my brother (40), my sister ( 45), and myself (36) we purchased 8 games over the last week. We are not considered "traditional gamers". When WiiFit comes out, then all of those teenagers and kids who convinced their mom to get the Wii will be pouting, because the Wii will be occupied.

yunblood6
The future that the Wii is pointing us towards is total immersion gaming. The holodeck on StarTrek is the future and the Wii takes us a step closer to it by providing real world movements that create real world like outputs into the game. Xbox and PS3 are still just pushing buttons to make a pretty picture move.
Like i said how many of those games are realy doing that? The demoghrapic you depic are playing wii sports, and mario party , so for the next year we have to wait before another game comes out that is realy inovative?

Then your debate on the 360 and ps3 will never see those people playing games together is a load of BS, lets get your facts straght. last time i checked poker, spades, uno, and countless other arcade games where being played by famlies across the world. You know what else they don't even have to be in the same state, yet alone the same house to do it. then people say the 360 is not innovating when is the last time you could put your face on your charector in a game? When will nintendo have voice chat yet alone video chat, all while still playing your game.( i could be playing cod4 while my father is on a spades game and we can still chat with no interuption.)

Hey i don't even have to get on a computer or on a plane to see my grandmother who lives in portland just pop on the 360 or ps3 and whalla, hey you know what else i don't have to shell out 300 here and 300 there then 60 here and 50 there to watch a blue ray movie, and play games. its all on my ps3. so to say that those other two arent innovating is a complete load of crap this is just a few things i could go on and on.

all the wii has is controlls period and half the damn games for it don't even use it well. So if you are going to have a bash another system have valid and intellegent argument not some fanboy all you do is button push, and all they have is fps argument. BUt you know what else they don't even have to have a 360 to communicate with me at all while im playing my game i can im my mother in atlanta without even putting down my controller for a keyboard(whala chatpad) So whats not innovative and whats not bringing people together again i lost your point in your argument.

Let me get it out before you say it. what if i don't want all those features and i just want to play games, well thats nice but the way i see it those extra features for those consoles are a hell of a lot better than the features that the wii came with. wow i can look at the weather, oooh ohh i can vote on useles info, wow i can look at a pic on my wii. that my friend is useless features.

Last edited:
regardless of what you think, countless people are buying the wii as their first video game console, and that is innovative. firs they play wii sports, then eventually they will keep moving up and become hardcore someday.

EDIT: but i'll say this, nintendo's new web site really disappointed me and its starting to look like they really dont care about hardcore gamers as much any more.

samXcor3 said:
regardless of what you think, countless people are buying the wii as their first video game console, and that is innovative. firs they play wii sports, then eventually they will keep moving up and become hardcore someday.

EDIT: but i'll say this, nintendo's new web site really disappointed me and its starting to look like they really dont care about hardcore gamers as much any more.
its not even about hardcore or casual gamers its about the quality of games that have been coming out, and how nintendo is the only ones putting out quality games, and the fact that they are not doing it in a timely fashion.
Also why would i pay 50 bucks for a bunch of mini games when i pay the same amount for a good quality game like metroid or games like galaxy. I could see and probaly wouldn't complain if those casual party games were not the same price as the quality full games. Exp since wii sports and links cbt, were free and a hell of a lot better in quality and fun then half the games out for the wii.

yungblood6 said:
Then your debate on the 360 and ps3 will never see those people playing games together is a load of BS, lets get your facts straght. last time i checked poker, spades, uno, and countless other arcade games where being played by famlies across the world.
Ask yourself this question; when is the last time you heard someone saying that their girlfriend wanted them to buy a 360 or PS3? My girlfriend at the time helped me stand in-line to get the Wii. She was excited about it.

yungblood6 said:
when is the last time you could put your face on your charector in a game?
Nintendo experimented with putting photos in as the Mii's, I think the method that they use now doesn't look as creepy.

yungblood6 said:
When will nintendo have voice chat yet alone video chat, all while still playing your game.( i could be playing cod4 while my father is on a spades game and we can still chat with no interuption.)

There is a microphone in the Wii Remote. Maybe they just don't want to implement it yet. Frankly, I would rather not hear a bunch of teenage boys yelling "pwoned" while playing MOH:H2

yungblood6 said:
..., hey you know what else i don't have to shell out 300 here and 300 there then 60 here and 50 there to watch a blue ray movie, and play games. its all on my ps3. so to say that those other two arent innovating is a complete load of crap this is just a few things i could go on and on...

Sticking a DVD player in a console is not being innovative. Frankly, I already have 2 DVD players. I don't plan on upgrading to HD DVD anytime soon. What happens if Sony loses the format war (Betamax anyone?), what good is your PS3 with a useless Bluray drive?

You can surf the web on the Wii. You can use Meebo to use IM on the Wii.
I can use my wireless keyboard to type when I surf the web.

Proof that Wii's controls are innovative are the people who are taking just the remotes and hooking them up to the laptops to control everything from RC cards to PC games.

Back