Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

Okay, sorry I am SOOOO late with my chime in. Okay here's my take as to why the Wii will not be another GC and why no specs were revealed about the system....

Have you ever woke up in the morning, walked past your Wii on your way to grab a bowl of cereal or whatever? Noticed that pulsating glow from the slot? Hmmm... could that be an update? Why do you think Nintendo purposely kept the specs away from the public? Do you really think it was because they knew they could not hang with the other two? I hope you don't think that. The Wii started being thought of in 2001, right after the GC was introduced. You think Nintendo wasted 5 years just sitting around only to make a system that is two GC's carefully soldered together? NO!!! The reason, I believe, no specs were given is because none could be. The Wii is running in a "toned down" state right now. Nintendo knows that in 2 years the Wii will not be able to keep up (it BARELY can now). Instead of throwing around HUGE numbers and processors, they kept their mouthed closed and watched as the other two showed the world their power and abilities. What if let's say, 2 years from now, they update the Wii with a overclocking update? Could that not be possible? If they can put time on your menu or change your parental settings via update, why couldn't they overclock the system? The Wii has WAY more than what people think. Why do you think it does not get hot because it's not working. Or why the fan can't be heard because it has nothing to cool yet. I say give it time and we will see. Of course it may not be as powerful as the 360 or PS3 but it WILL not be another GC, think about it.

Sorry about the long response.

Without quoting, I'm just going to say this:

When I hear people talk about all the features and gadgets available for the 360 and/or PS3, all I can think about is "Isn't that what your PC is for??" Seriously, I've got a laptop nearby if I want to video chat, surf, IM, or whatever while I'm playing the Wii. The other systems try to be a one-stop-shop, and it will be their downfall. If you're going to do something, do one thing and do it well instead of trying to do everything just so-so.

I'm tired, and I shouldn't even be posting, but I'm absolutely sick and freakin tired of hearing about superiority of other systems when I'm here on a Wii forum. If you think in terms of superiority, then you should face the fact that we are never going to get along. I like the Wii over the other 2 major systems, and some people like those other systems more than the Wii. Great, we are entitled to those opinions. Just don't expect to actually sway those of us who love the Wii into thinking our systems are worthless.

For the record, I've been playing Mario Galaxy and think it's still as fun as Mario has been since I was a kid--and like a few other people here, I've been gaming since Pong and Zork and the first King's Quest, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with a system, while in it's first year, is just starting to break away from it's dependency on first-party games. Makes it easier for them to set an example for third-party developers which makes for much better games during year two.

LoganSix said:
Ask yourself this question; when is the last time you heard someone saying that their girlfriend wanted them to buy a 360 or PS3? My girlfriend at the time helped me stand in-line to get the Wii. She was excited about it.

Sticking a DVD player in a console is not being innovative. Frankly, I already have 2 DVD players. I don't plan on upgrading to HD DVD anytime soon. What happens if Sony loses the format war (Betamax anyone?), what good is your PS3 with a useless Bluray drive?

You can surf the web on the Wii. You can use Meebo to use IM on the Wii.
I can use my wireless keyboard to type when I surf the web.

Proof that Wii's controls are innovative are the people who are taking just the remotes and hooking them up to the laptops to control everything from RC cards to PC games.
Last time i checked i have 100 people on just my friends list and half of them are female, either just friends, some one i knows wife or girlfriend and they play all the games that we play. including my girlfriend. I just got off cod 4 with my buddies wife.( you guys realy got to stop thinking girls don't game seriously)

IF they lose which i highly doubt it , blue ray is still a better game disk than what is currently being used and has higher storage capacity than what is being used so possiblities are still endless with that. Second i wasn't just talking about dvd movies, and hd movies, im talking about web cams, voice chat and instant messaging. Where the voice and video part have been implamented in games, ie i can command my AI squad with voice controlls, I can map my face to my character in poker, and in RB6v. While im playing uno and poker, and other games i can video chat with my partner or oponent. Thats innovation!

Last time i checked you have to be on the browser in order to do all those things you spoke of, i can do most of the things i said including instant messaging while im still in the game. with out having to put down my controller to pick up a keyboard. I can also voice chat while the person im talking to is playing another game on or offline. Thats innovation.

Not to say that nintendo isnt innovating, but the argument that all 360 has is fps, and its just button pushing, and its not innovating arguments are highly biased and extreamly false. Just think 10 years ago you would have never thought a game could look as good as those seen on 360 and ps3, i don't expect those that grew up with graphics to understand that.
360 and ps3 are just as innovative as nintendo, and they connect people, and bring gamers together just like nintendo, only differnce is nintendo simplifide it.

Last edited:
devitek said:
Without quoting, I'm just going to say this:

When I hear people talk about all the features and gadgets available for the 360 and/or PS3, all I can think about is "Isn't that what your PC is for??" Seriously, I've got a laptop nearby if I want to video chat, surf, IM, or whatever while I'm playing the Wii. The other systems try to be a one-stop-shop, and it will be their downfall. If you're going to do something, do one thing and do it well instead of trying to do everything just so-so.

I'm tired, and I shouldn't even be posting, but I'm absolutely sick and freakin tired of hearing about superiority of other systems when I'm here on a Wii forum. If you think in terms of superiority, then you should face the fact that we are never going to get along. I like the Wii over the other 2 major systems, and some people like those other systems more than the Wii. Great, we are entitled to those opinions. Just don't expect to actually sway those of us who love the Wii into thinking our systems are worthless.

For the record, I've been playing Mario Galaxy and think it's still as fun as Mario has been since I was a kid--and like a few other people here, I've been gaming since Pong and Zork and the first King's Quest, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with a system, while in it's first year, is just starting to break away from it's dependency on first-party games. Makes it easier for them to set an example for third-party developers which makes for much better games during year two.
I not trying to persuade any one but every ones argument to the thread is oh its better than the 360 and its this to the ps3, like come on validate your point with out having to compare it to the other systems, and then when you do don't throw bs around with biased and untrue comments, like those that have been going around. im sorry but why shouldnt i be able to talk to my brother or sister of friend while im playing a game. why should i be forced to sit in my room in solitude when other people are busy and can't come over? Why should i have to go all the way to my computer and just video chat or voice chat when i can play my game too. some of us don't use laptops, or feel the need to have 3 differnt machines on or have all those in the same room. Its just accessability and connectivity and last time i checked microsoft was doing games well, and so is sony, if they werent they wouldnt be in buisness. all the tc was saying is with the lack of good third party support, will the wii repeat what happend with the gamecube, which has nothing to do with 360 or Ps3, but yet every one wants to say what the 360 and Ps3 are not, and try to discredit what they have brought to the industry.

yungblood6,
It doesn't matter if the Xbox and PS3 run like PC's, the Wii is fun and it appeals to many more people than the Xbox and PS3 will.

It's about the size of the market. How many times do I have to say it before it sinks in? The Xbox and PS3 is aimed towards 14-30 year old males. The Wii is aimed towards everyone. The number of possible purchasers for the Wii is much much much much larger than for the other two consoles. With more people to make games for, there are more possibilities for games. Just because 3rd parties aren't making the game that you want, doesn't mean that their not making the games that a larger demographic wants.

Here's another thing that will make the Wii long lasting. The WiiWare channel is going to be opened up to the independent game maker. This means, some guy with a great idea, but with out the backing of Ubisoft, EA and the like, can design and create his game and advertise it on WiiWare. With millions of Wii owners out there, there's a good chance a bunch of people will download the game and, if it is good, recommend it to other Wii owners. That's providing innovation in gaming.

what i find funny about the whole console war is if the PS3 were on top and xbox/wii were fighting it out everyone would have already declared the PS3 the victor along time ago.. but since its Ninty on top people are trying to prolong the "war" as long as they can, sorry nintendo will not be topped any time soon...

and wii is far from the same path as GC even it was id still be happy cause i liked the GC it has better graphics and hardware than ps2 and i liked the games better... i still have a ps2 and since i got the wii its been in the closet ever since taking up space actually so not everyone is playing their ps2s still only reason i bought a ps2 was for GT3/GT4 other than that its crap!

JeremyGTS said:
i liked the GC it has better graphics and hardware than ps2 and i liked the games better...

WHAT?!?!? i wont even comment on that one..that is just not knowing anything!!!

Ok now im gonna have to agree with youngblood here...yes even though a video GAME console is and should be about gaming, but the PS3 and 360 take it to a WHOLE other level, with the voice and video chat, i mean damn the wii is stuck with the friend code bs that u dont even want to talk to people on it cuz its to much of a hassle. and 2nd i do believe that it is way to early to consider the wii down and out since most 3rd party developers arent prepared for the wii since they didnt think it would thrive like this..BUT NINTENDO THEMSELVES NEED TO STEP UP..this is there system and they know what and it can do and wat it cant do.

By the way...i love this thread, such a great debate on everyones end :lol:

Bliss said:
...yes even though a video GAME console is and should be about gaming, but the PS3 and 360 take it to a WHOLE other level, with the voice and video chat...

I'm sorry, but that other level is what PC gamers have been experiencing for years. All the PS3 and 360 are doing is creating semi-upgradeable PC's. Is it the goal for gaming consoles to emulate PC's/DVD players/Home Entertainment Systems?

The current issue with PC's is that you are stuck with the block. You can only add and upgrade so many times until the block needs to replaced. Entertainment should be component based. Your movie playing, video recording, gaming, music listening should be separate, but compatible with each other.

I will give you that it would be nice to have chat features on the Wii. But, the Wii uses Bluetooth to communicate with the remotes. That means, it could easily use Bluetooth headsets for talking. It's just not implemented, just like the microphone in the remote. Why hasn't Nintendo implemented that feature? Who knows, maybe they want to give 3rd parties a chance. Or maybe they want to roll things out slowly so that people are more and more interested in coming back to their gaming console. Nintendo pushed an upgrade that allowed us to use the keyboard in the web browser, it could do the same for a headset.

The interaction with the Wii is what is innovative and what sets it apart. Take "Rock Star" for example. In order to play it on the 360, PC, or PS3 you will need to buy multiple accessories to play each instrument. Then you have to attach those instruments to the console. The Wii remote can already be a drum, tambourine, harmonica (not 100%), put the chuck and remote together and you have a trombone, cymbals, base drum, trumpet, violin. That's innovation.

When the WiiBoard comes out, those people who like playing skating games will have a new way to play. Or, since it can tell if you squat down or stand up, imagine being able to duck down to hide during a fire fight. Jump on a vehicle and steering with your body movements. That's innovation.

LoganSix said:
I'm sorry, but that other level is what PC gamers have been experiencing for years. All the PS3 and 360 are doing is creating semi-upgradeable PC's. Is it the goal for gaming consoles to emulate PC's/DVD players/Home Entertainment Systems?

The current issue with PC's is that you are stuck with the block. You can only add and upgrade so many times until the block needs to replaced. Entertainment should be component based. Your movie playing, video recording, gaming, music listening should be separate, but compatible with each other.

I will give you that it would be nice to have chat features on the Wii. But, the Wii uses Bluetooth to communicate with the remotes. That means, it could easily use Bluetooth headsets for talking. It's just not implemented, just like the microphone in the remote. Why hasn't Nintendo implemented that feature? Who knows, maybe they want to give 3rd parties a chance. Or maybe they want to roll things out slowly so that people are more and more interested in coming back to their gaming console. Nintendo pushed an upgrade that allowed us to use the keyboard in the web browser, it could do the same for a headset.

The interaction with the Wii is what is innovative and what sets it apart. Take "Rock Star" for example. In order to play it on the 360, PC, or PS3 you will need to buy multiple accessories to play each instrument. Then you have to attach those instruments to the console. The Wii remote can already be a drum, tambourine, harmonica (not 100%), put the chuck and remote together and you have a trombone, cymbals, base drum, trumpet, violin. That's innovation.

When the WiiBoard comes out, those people who like playing skating games will have a new way to play. Or, since it can tell if you squat down or stand up, imagine being able to duck down to hide during a fire fight. Jump on a vehicle and steering with your body movements. That's innovation.

Well i see it as this a PC is a PC and NOOO gamin console can EVER top it, but with the 360 and PS3 people are now getting the feel of PC gaming without the PC...and the whole thing u said about nintendo taking it slow on using a headset and all that..if that is true they are smart and stupid at the sametime, smart cuz the casual, new gamer is always gonna have something new, but on the other hand the "hardcore" gamer, they are losing them, with the PS3 and 360 already a few steps ahead people are gonna go to the console with the most features in the end...granted the Wii is very innovated i will never take that away but it just seems to be moving to slow for me.

BTW, I did a software selling simulation in college, even though my group put more virtual money into creating more features for the software, the group with the cheapest software won the simulation.

A few hours of sleep later, I'm back with some new info.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/29/analyst-u-s-galaxy-sales-a-borderline-failure/

Despite the title, there's some really good points in there.

...And let's not forget that shooters are probably more to the taste of U.S. audiences...

So, I'm guessing that most of the down-talk about the Wii has come from U.S. gamers. Mind you, I'm a U.S. gamer, but I totally don't fit the stereotype.

But, I love this quote:

Mind you, he gets brownie points for describing Galaxy as "at least six times better than Halo 3."

Nice.

ShawVAuto said:
Have you ever woke up in the morning, walked past your Wii on your way to grab a bowl of cereal or whatever? Noticed that pulsating glow from the slot? Hmmm... could that be an update?
:lol: :lol: sounds like a commerical

I know right. I would get the guy from the All-State commercials to read my post. At the end he would say, "That's Nintendo's stand, are you in good hands?"

Last edited:
the GC did have better hardware and graphics than PS2 you are just in fanboy denial there... last wave of ps2 games were great looking ill say that but if you run the specs you will see if you even understand... the PS2 was the worst of the 3 in terms of hardware.

ok lets take a look at the ps2 cpu and gpu.

CPU 128-bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294 MHz
GPU "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz

no look at the GC

CPU PowerPC Gekko, 485 MHz
GPU ATI Technologies, 162 MHz

the gpu is almost double the speed of the PST and the GPU not much difference so how can you tell me in terms of hardware the GC is crap..

Last edited:
Back