Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

lenitao3 said:
in my opinion, wii won't fail!

we already have some 3rd party suppot......so many new wii games in just a year!! much more awesome games to come.....!!

Yes but the problem is its crappy third party support. I wouldn't want support if all they was feeding me is garbage.

I am playing mario galaxy now but i don't intend to put too much time into it because its got to last me till febuary when the supposedly good games for the wii come out. I look at that and wonder what the hell are these other developers thinking, why the hell would nintendo let them put such crap out there like that, and when is something going to be done. I got to the bee stage and was looking at the water and i have to say that is superb work. This is why i look at games like moh2 and get highly upset, because i know the wii is capable of better graphics than its been getting. With the exception of moh2(because the controls i had no problem with) is it me or is it that only the nintendo made games have pinpoint response in the controls?

I for one commend nintendo on trying to get a lower price point so more gamers can play games but i think they kinda bit there self in the foot not going HD, and putting more processing power in the wii. Its just like one of the posters before me said, companies have invested time and money in upgrading there engines to run on the high powerd next gen machine because it was obvious thats where gaming was going. Nintendo as always tries to be differnt. i commend them for that and their machine is nice, but i realy don't think they would be having these third party problems if they would have kept every thing they did now and put more power in their machine. Companies are not going to invest that much time going backwards when even though what nintendo has is good its realy only going to last 5 years if that. No matter how succesfull nintendo is they are going to have to upgrade and its realy inevitable. Hd is the future and with HD tv's getting cheaper, and the format war picking up people are going to want to experience thier entertainment in better picture quality.

samXcor3 said:
even ubisoft said assassins creed wouldnt be on wii because its not casual enough. thats the biggest insult ive ever gotten as a gamer. there are hXc gamers who have wiis. 3rd parties need to man up and put time into their wii games before i go and...buy 360!
The 360 is just as good as the Wii, and Nintendo doesn't care if you buy a 360 so go right ahead.

To Youngblood6

yungblood6 said:
I am playing mario galaxy now but i don't intend to put too much time into it because its got to last me till febuary when the supposedly good games for the wii come out. I look at that and wonder what the hell are these other developers thinking, why the hell would nintendo let them put such crap out there like that, and when is something going to be done. I got to the bee stage and was looking at the water and i have to say that is superb work. This is why i look at games like moh2 and get highly upset, because i know the wii is capable of better graphics than its been getting. With the exception of moh2(because the controls i had no problem with) is it me or is it that only the nintendo made games have pinpoint response in the controls?
yungblood6 said:
yungblood6 said:
Yes I agree with you, What are they thinking, the wii is capables of more, it just that the devevlopers don't care enough to even try. Super Mario Galaxy proves this. Even the graphics in it is very pretty, very hypnotizing. Nintendo knows how to utilize the wii to bring out the best in it, all it takes is real effort, an effert that third parties are loathe of doing.

yungblood6 said:
I for one commend nintendo on trying to get a lower price point so more gamers can play games but i think they kinda bit there self in the foot not going HD, and putting more processing power in the wii.
yungblood6 said:
yungblood6 said:
I make a similar comment in this thread too, and I think this is the crux of the matter right here. I think That is the main reason it is not being taken seriously by games developers.

yungblood6 said:
Its just like one of the posters before me said, companies have invested time and money in upgrading there engines to run on the high powerd next gen machine because it was obvious thats where gaming was going.
yungblood6 said:
yungblood6 said:
That is where they thought it was going. When the wii was announced years ago, the depevloers blew it off saying to themselves, saying things like PHHHT:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And they put all thier effoet into 360 and ps3 development. Later then they saw how good the wii sold, they jumpen on it, not for quality, but to get somma the quick buck pie it could make for them. Foe these developers, the wii is nothing but a cash cow to sell shitty games to ignorent concumers who don't know any better.

yungblood6 said:
Nintendo as always tries to be differnt. i commend them for that and their machine is nice, but i realy don't think they would be having these third party problems if they would have kept every thing they did now and put more power in their machine.
yungblood6 said:
yungblood6 said:
^^^^That Sir is what I now believe is Nintendo's biggest mistake in making the wii! Forget a headset and a hard drive, forget something that looks and acts like Xbox Live. Nonna these things will mean anything intill third parties take the wii seriously and because it it not too "weak" to run the highpowed engines that were made for them, wii owners only get leftovers, and stale moldy ones at that.

yungblood6 said:
Companies are not going to invest that much time going backwards when even though what nintendo has is good its realy only going to last 5 years if that. No matter how succesfull nintendo is they are going to have to upgrade and its realy inevitable. Hd is the future and with HD tv's getting cheaper, and the format war picking up people are going to want to experience thier entertainment in better picture quality.

I don't know how Nintendo can upgrade the wii. It is in its final form. It cannot be rebuilt or added to in the most important places, it's cpu and gpu. The only thing that Nintendo can do now is work to change the image of the wii from that of a child's toy to a valid games machine, mean't for older discriminating consuners who care about the product they have invested in and who expect the best from the software developed for it.

I think Nintendo should be the must hurt and angry at how the developers are treating their platform, and as an extension, their consumers who aren't gonna direct their anger at these developers but at NINTENDO because it is Nintendo that has created the wii.

It is NINTENDO who will have to set the bar for excelence with the wii, it will be them who will have to lead the pack in taking the wii seriously to create a game for it that we, seasoned players can enjoy without feeling insulted. I hope Disaster Day of Crisis and Sadness gets the job done and begins to help remove the stigma of the wii being only for little kids.

Last edited:
romj said:
The wii could be somehing great, but it might not get that chance cuz of it not being seen as a valid gaming machine, and that is tragic for us consumers. Yes it sells well, but will people continue to play it? Cuz in the end, a games machine is as good as the games made for it.
I agree with that statment...i already feel like i wanna give up, even with the up comign titles coming out, i feel they will disappoint me as well.

romj said:
The thing that bugs me is that good games CAN be made for it, Super Mario Galaxy proves this. You said that you hope a third party will some how, some way make a game that will show they take the wii seriously. I hope so too, cuz Nintendo had already done it and nonna these third parties are listening. We will just have to wait and see.:yikes:

now with this u have a point but SMG was only good "graphically" cuz nintendo put the time into it, this game was based on wat the wii can do to make it look good, this look good cuz all the time they put into "drawing" it....hence why i feel a lot of third party people are throwin there left overs at the wii cuz they dont want to put the time in to do EVER little detail when there are machines and programs out there that can do it already.

In my opion Nintendo really needs to take a step back and look at where they are at right now, they didnt plan on all this sucess coming to the wii...they thought it would be the 2nd console in a household...but now i think they are a lil takin back by how it is selling...and really dont know wat to do...they need to sit down and talk thats all...or maybe even do wat youtube did with the presidential candidates...have us gamers make a vid and throw a bunch of questions and suggestions to nintendo...i would love that, but it would never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romj
romj said:
The thing that bugs me is that good games CAN be made for it, Super Mario Galaxy proves this. You said that you hope a third party will some how, some way make a game that will show they take the wii seriously. I hope so too, cuz Nintendo had already done it and nonna these third parties are listening. We will just have to wait and see.
romj said:
[

Bliss said:
now with this u have a point but SMG was only good "graphically" cuz nintendo put the time into it, this game was based on wat the wii can do to make it look good, this look good cuz all the time they put into "drawing" it....hence why i feel a lot of third party people are throwin there left overs at the wii cuz they dont want to put the time in to do EVER little detail when there are machines and programs out there that can do it already.
Bliss said:
Man you right! And thats what you mean't by games engines being made to high for the wii, so they cannot be used on the wii as a short cut. The developers are now required to make a game more or less from scratch! This is the crux of the matter right there: effort. They just don't wanna waste their time on a TOY for KIDS when they can make a way better game with the engines they have now and do it with LESS effort than they have to put in on the wii!

Bliss said:
In my opion Nintendo really needs to take a step back and look at where they are at right now, they didnt plan on all this sucess coming to the wii...they thought it would be the 2nd console in a household...but now i think they are a lil takin back by how it is selling...and really dont know wat to do...they need to sit down and talk thats all...or maybe even do wat youtube did with the presidential candidates...have us gamers make a vid and throw a bunch of questions and suggestions to nintendo...i would love that, but it would never happen.
I agree with you, I think Nintendo thought the wii would just be a complimentory console to it's more powerfull brothers, but something else happened that neither Nintendo or the games developers expected. Yes Nintendo needs to go back and rethink their original strategy and alter it to fit this new situation or I fear for the death of our beloved games platform, the Nintendo Wii.

Last edited:
The Wii is on track to outsell the Gamecube, not become it. Its rate of sales are making the GC's lifetime sales look pathetic and there's no sign of the Wii slowing down.

romj said:
They just don't wanna waste their time on a TOY for KIDS when they can make a way better game with the engines they have now and do it with LESS effort than they have to put in on the wii!

Are you being sarcastic? It is easier/cost less to make games for the Wii than the other two. The issues is, it is so easy, that the developers are lazy. It's not hard to make great looking games for the Wii, they just have to want to do it.

romj said:
Yes Nintendo needs to go back and rethink their original strategy and alter it to fit this new situation or I fear for the death of our beloved games platform, the Nintendo Wii.

LOL!!! Ha ha ha!! The "death" of the Nintendo Wii?? Funny stuff.

Okay, "hardcore gamers", time for a little dose of reality. See if it sinks in this time. You are a significantly smaller percentage of the market place.
hardcore gamers < casual gamers

Even if Nintendo stopped letting anyone develop games on the Wii for the "hardcore gamer", it wouldn't matter. All the other "casual gamers" will still bring Nintendo profits from the console and games. Nintendo's strategy with the DS and the Wii has made them billions of dollars of profit.

Paraphrasing from another discussion on another site. It's like going into a bookstore and complaining that the entire store is useless because they didn't have a book by a particular author.

yungblood6 said:

I for one commend nintendo on trying to get a lower price point so more gamers can play games but i think they kinda bit there self in the foot not going HD, and putting more processing power in the wii. Its just like one of the posters before me said, companies have invested time and money in upgrading there engines to run on the high powerd next gen machine because it was obvious thats where gaming was going. Nintendo as always tries to be differnt. i commend them for that and their machine is nice, but i realy don't think they would be having these third party problems if they would have kept every thing they did now and put more power in their machine. Companies are not going to invest that much time going backwards when even though what nintendo has is good its realy only going to last 5 years if that. No matter how succesfull nintendo is they are going to have to upgrade and its realy inevitable. Hd is the future and with HD tv's getting cheaper, and the format war picking up people are going to want to experience thier entertainment in better picture quality.

You have to wait till February for good games to come out?
So what, delays happen my friend. Its all part of a consoles life, thats why we need to wait for Brawl's release and a few other great titles.

Let's look at Ps3 delays for starters.
Assassin's Creed- Spring 2007?..that didn't happen.
Final Fantasy XIII- Fall 2007..doesn't look too promising.
Grand Theft Auto IV- October 2007?..didn't happen.

See good games have delays, I don't get the sense of constantly bickering about it.

Oh and, January is not a bad month for Wii either.
Mario Kart and Wii Fit are good titles.

LoganSix said:
LOL!!! Ha ha ha!! The "death" of the Nintendo Wii?? Funny stuff.

Okay, "hardcore gamers", time for a little dose of reality. See if it sinks in this time. You are a significantly smaller percentage of the market place.
hardcore gamers < casual gamers

Even if Nintendo stopped letting anyone develop games on the Wii for the "hardcore gamer", it wouldn't matter. All the other "casual gamers" will still bring Nintendo profits from the console and games. Nintendo's strategy with the DS and the Wii has made them billions of dollars of profit.

Paraphrasing from another discussion on another site. It's like going into a bookstore and complaining that the entire store is useless because they didn't have a book by a particular author.

LoganSix u are miss reading wat we are saying...We know that the casual gamer out weighs the hardcore gamer..all we are sayin is that nintendo did not predict the wii to seel like this...the said themselves its a number 2 console..so now that it has sold so much, they have to adapt to it and make it for everyone casual and hardcore....we are not here to bash the wii or nintendo all we are stating is the problems we have with it...if we didnt like nintendo or the wii why would we have it or even show our concern in speakin on this thread

Bliss,
I know you aren't totally bashing the Wii.
But, to say that the Wii would go away for fail because it is not catering to the hardcore gamers is laughable. Now, you might not have been making that sort of argument, but a few of the others seem to be making that argument.

LoganSix,
No i dont believe the Wii will turn into the Cube, due to the fact of the casual gamer, But i do believe that the Wii is the weaker of the 3 consoles...yes it has takin a huge step with its innovative controls but to me it still lacks the power that a next-gen game system is supposed to have.

Bliss said:
LoganSix,
No i dont believe the Wii will turn into the Cube, due to the fact of the casual gamer, But i do believe that the Wii is the weaker of the 3 consoles...yes it has takin a huge step with its innovative controls but to me it still lacks the power that a next-gen game system is supposed to have.

Power eh?
Which Power is that?

Bliss,
Yes, it would be nice to have a little more power. But, I bet it would have increased the cost of the Wii. So, now Nintendo has put this out at an unbeatable price and hooked millions upon millions of people. Next step, bring out a newer one with a little more power, better graphics, and BAM!! everyone is hooked. Not that Nintendo will do that for another 3 years, but when it comes, they'll have another hit.

Back