Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

romj said:
Nintendo may have lost sight of the real porpose of selling hardware, that is to sell their GAMES to play on the hardware because without GOOD SOFTWARE the wii is nothing more that an expensive paperweight!

I hope they recover their vision before it's too late, because I really love their games! The gaming would just wouldn't be the same without them...

Yeah, it's not like Nintendo actually makes game amirite?!! Oh wait...they do. I've refrained from posting in this thread because I didn't know what to start addressing but I suppose I can start here by pointing how how ridiculous the premise of your post is. Nintendo "lost sight" of the "real purpose" of selling hardware? Oh please, that's just a load of unsupported crap which basically says "Nintendo sells Wiis for the Wiis sake". But Nintendo makes games so that people have a reason to buy the Wii so claiming that they're heading down the wrong path is baseless. It seems as if you post like you know more about business and running a gaming company than Iwata. However, the heads of Nintendo are not stupid; they know what they're doing and know how to run one of the wealthiest companies in Japan.

Last edited:
RedProdigy said:
Yeah, it's not like Nintendo actually makes game amirite?!! Oh wait...they do. I've refrained from posting in this thread because I didn't know what to start addressing but I suppose I can start here by pointing how how ridiculous the premise of your post is. Nintendo "lost sight" of the "real purpose" of selling hardware? Oh please, that's just a load of unsupported crap which basically says "Nintendo sells Wiis for the Wiis sake". But Nintendo makes games so that people have a reason to buy the Wii so claiming that they're heading down the wrong path is baseless. It seems as if you post like you know more about business and running a gaming company than Iwata. However, the heads of Nintendo are not stupid; they know what they're doing and know how to run one of the wealthiest companies in Japan.

You know you're right, Nintendo does know what they are doing. I made that coment because it seems to me that they are settling for less than the best when it comes to third party support. Me feeling in no way bash Nintendo. It is my favorite games company and I want it to succeed more than anything!

So in the end, I thank you for you input, even though you were angry, and for good reason. We are on the same side after all; we both love Nintendo.

Last edited:
RedProdigy said:
if they know what they were doing they wouldnt have lost their share in the market in the first place, nor would the gamecube be a failure like it was. The wii is a good buisness move and it was the only logical thing nintendo could do to bounce back from its loss in gamecube erra. Game machines and games where getting higher in price, with its gamcube misshap it couldnt make a console that was the same price as its competitors and expect to sell well. Also take into fact that not every one has an hd tv yet it was the smart thing to do to get back in the game. So yea nintendo sold a lot of consoles off curiosity, pack in game and low pricing(good buisness move). But the games still lack quality compared to its competitors worst games.

Its like i said before if we rewind time and launch all 3 at the same time at the same price point, in my honest and most thoughtfull opininon i do not think the wii will out sell the other two. especially seeing as 360 and wii are so close together in sells now. But since this is not the case i can't knock nintendo for getting back in the game, but they need to get back to the games and release more quality games themselves more than every quarter.

Please don't get offended by what i say but it just needs to be said and it is my opinion on the matter.

Nintendo has always made money on peoples stupidity, esp in the handheld department.
Lets see you have the gameboythen they made a slimer one. Then you have gameboy color, then gamboy color pocket same thing, then you have gameboy advance, then gameboy advance sp, then game boy micro, now i bet the mothers around the world got their kids each one of those esp not knowing that most where the same damn thing.

Thats 7 hand held consoles and only 2 are different. but nintendo made a bank load of money on that crap. Nintendo is all about the gimmick

yungblood6 said:
Nintendo has always made money on peoples stupidity.... Nintendo is all about the gimmick

Since you are complaining about the Wii, I guess that means you are stupid because you bought into Nintendo's gimmick.

I think the Wii is great. I would never purchase the 360 or PS3. I would play those, but not buy them. I enjoy the Wii for it's party games, they make a party fun. And since i haven't upgraded to a HD tv yet, guess that makes the Wii even better that I don't have to have the latest and greatest technology to play the Wii. I even played it in a hotel with a tv that only had the yellow and white connector, no red.

LoganSix said:
Since you are complaining about the Wii, I guess that means you are stupid because you bought into Nintendo's gimmick.

I think the Wii is great. I would never purchase the 360 or PS3. I would play those, but not buy them. I enjoy the Wii for it's party games, they make a party fun. And since i haven't upgraded to a HD tv yet, guess that makes the Wii even better that I don't have to have the latest and greatest technology to play the Wii. I even played it in a hotel with a tv that only had the yellow and white connector, no red.

I personally wont deny it. My stupidity fell into Nintendo's lap with there gimmick. Now I wasnt stupid enough to fall for the handheld gimmicks but I did fall for the wii. When I saw it I was in awe. I thought Nintendo were smart as hell for using motion controls and being able to aim with the nunchuck. But instead of ATLEAST getting alot more decent mutliplatform 3rd party software, we barely get any multiplatformers compared to gamecube (which still sucked compared to PS2/Xbox. But we get "Wii Exclusives" aka 2nd party software that are complete trash to the AVERAGE gamer, unless your a kid or a person who loves party games. I never would have thought a game company as big as nintendo would put out games like My Word Coach and Big Brain Academy to name a few. Now! Before you jump down my throat, we obviously know these arent Nintendo's games, they're 2nd party software. BUT! Nintendo should put there foot down at one point or another and tell them enough is enough. There's nothing wrong with games like that in reality, but to have more than half of Nintendo's games to be party games/educational/kids games is over the top. There are only a handful of games that you could hold with literally 1 hand in Nintendo's library that critics actually recommend.

I do give props to NINTENDO, for there software, as in most of those recommended games come from them. I just wish other developers wouldnt make half ass games on Nintendo, and I wish when they did, Nintendo would give them a big FUK YOU, because I know Microsoft and Sony would.

EDIT: Also, you dont need HD to play Xbox 360, I also still have a shitty standard TV and all my games still look amazing. Having HD is like having a big perk.

Big Brain Academy
Funny you bring that up. You know, the Brain Age game on the DS is the reason Nintendo is going the route they are for the DS and the Wii. They found so many older people playing the game, that they realized they hit onto something. Have you seen the new commercials for Brain Age? They are geared to 40+ year olds.

Yea I know even my older brother likes it SOMEWHAT. But thats because he's locked up for 10 years and has nothing else better to do. But, im not knocking Nintendo for doing, hell there's nothing wrong with it. But what I am saying is there is an over abundance of games that are geared for people over 40 and under 13, maybe lower, along with "Family/Part Games". Like I said, nothing wrong with that, but at some point Nintendo should also look after its fan of 20+ years. People like me who have enjoyed Nintendo since NES. Which btw, i havent ever not bought one of Nintendo's console, ive stayed true and Im basically getting no love in return as every console seems to get worse in Software.

"fan of 20+ years" ~ wouldn't that mean you are creeping into the exact demographic that they are aiming for? See, Nintendo is thinking about you, in the long term.

T3kNi9e said:
Yea I know even my older brother likes it SOMEWHAT. But thats because he's locked up for 10 years and has nothing else better to do. But, im not knocking Nintendo for doing, hell there's nothing wrong with it. But what I am saying is there is an over abundance of games that are geared for people over 40 and under 13, maybe lower, along with "Family/Part Games". Like I said, nothing wrong with that, but at some point Nintendo should also look after its fan of 20+ years. People like me who have enjoyed Nintendo since NES. Which btw, i havent ever not bought one of Nintendo's console, ive stayed true and Im basically getting no love in return as every console seems to get worse in Software.

Ah, the classic "I'm a Nintendo fan since the NES but..." talk (which usually precedes Wii bashing/trolling). Your first problem is talking as if you're representing all of the old school gamers. Of course the overall quality was declining when the PlayStation stole much of Nintendo's 3rd party support. However to suggest that Nintendo is not paying attention to its true fans/core gamers/hardcore gamers is to miss the big picture. Most games are crap on any console and it doesn't matter if it's kiddy crap or mature crap because it's still crap. But what's the big picture?

"Core" games associated with Nintendo:
Zelda TP
Excite Truck
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars 2
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
*SSBB
*Disaster

"Casual" Nintendo games:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
WarioWare
Big Brain Academy
*Wii Fit

Mixed Nintendo games:
Super Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy
*Animal Crossing

Gee, Nintendo's really going overboard with the casual games. PS: There are more than 5 games that critics would recommend. To put things into perspective: Screw Attack (Gametrailers) made a video about top 10 PS3 exclusives before Uncharted (and I think Rachet and Clank) and they struggled to name 7 good games. No.8 was a movie and 9 and 10 were left blank.

Yungblood: I was talking about present-day Nintendo, not the past. Of course, Nintendo still needs to produce quality games. As for handhelds, I see Nintendo doing that as a way of boosting sales. But GB Color is much better because...well you have color. The GBA SP is VASTLY superior to the GBA (Micro was a gimmick though). The DSLite makes improvements on the DS and is much perferred over the DS (all of the DSs that are selling are Lites). There's no incentive for Nintendo to make a new DS model when the Lite is selling like Wiis. It's kinda like Sony with all of these PS3 models it's releasing.

Last edited:
yungblood6 said:
Please don't get offended by what i say but it just needs to be said and it is my opinion on the matter.

Nintendo has always made money on peoples stupidity, esp in the handheld department.
Lets see you have the gameboythen they made a slimer one. Then you have gameboy color, then gamboy color pocket same thing, then you have gameboy advance, then gameboy advance sp, then game boy micro, now i bet the mothers around the world got their kids each one of those esp not knowing that most where the same damn thing.

Thats 7 hand held consoles and only 2 are different. but nintendo made a bank load of money on that crap. Nintendo is all about the gimmick

Its like i said before if we rewind time and launch all 3 at the same time at the same price point, in my honest and most thoughtfull opininon i do not think the wii will out sell the other two. especially seeing as 360 and wii are so close together in sells now.

You could say that different revisions of hardware are about streamlining the technology, as Sony have done the same thing with the PS1, PS2 and lets not even mention how many versions of PS3 (or 360) there are. Maybe they all think gamers are stupid eh?

If you rewind time and release all 3 consoles at the same time and at the same price of course they would sell differently. You would either be selling a $250 console for $400 or $400 consoles for $250. I guess you could remove components from the 360 and PS3 till they reached a $250 selling price but that would leave you with 2 lumps of plastic that pretty much did nothing.

People who say 'ive been a Nintendo fan for 20 years, blah blah blah, theyve forsaken me because they have no hardcore bloody adult deviant sex games on Wii' are lying. Nintendos style has always been the same and they should know what to expect if they have been fans for 20 years.

Nintendo tried to give an open sourced environment for developers with the Gamecube but third parties felt that they interfered too much. With the Wii, Nintendo is not interfering at all so if the third party games are poor it is the third party developers fault not Nintendos. If the games are poor then simply dont buy them, buy something that deserves the attention such as decent third party titles like Trauma Center or Zack & Wiki.

The first year of any consoles life is not usually filled with stand out titles, look at 360s first year there was nothing really big until Gears, look at PS3 exclusives and there has not been a great deal there either. Look at Wii and they have given us Zelda TP, MP3 and SMG (3 of their best franchises and fantastic games) all in the first year. If anyone is still not happy after that then they probably never will be.

T3kNi9e said:
Sadly Nintendo doesn't seem to care. It was bought up to the Senior Vice President of Marketing over at Nintendo and he didnt actually give any good comments on it.

Basically all he says is that they're not trying to make so little hardcore games. He claims they want to balance casual over hardcore which seems to be far from the truth. Either that or they're not trying hard enough. He says they're trying to focus on getting more 3rd-party games but so far all the 3rd-party games have been crap for the most part. Japan is making games for there consumers, but Americans arent stepping up on the Wii.

Have you ever thought the time it takes to make good games though?
Seriously, 360 didn't have good games till like Christmas of when it launched, and its been out for 2 years now it has the good games. Nintendo's made casual games yes, and some hardcore. So you could say since there were more casual games, now we will get more hardcore games. I am basing that assumption on what you guys base yours on. Which is nothing but mere opinions and random grumblings of news and articles.

Its easy to say that, and its easy to pull random articles off the internet, which may or may not be old articles that could have been made shortly after the Wii's release.

Hardcore titles are coming though, Mario Kart, Brawl, Disaster..new StarFox.
I don't see the need to bicker all the time about Nintendo's lack of games.
Cus like I said 360's been out for 2 years..and the Wii is going into its second soon..and all of those games are coming out in the second year of the Wii's console life. Seems pretty even to me.

I am still convinced there are several games coming out for the PS3 because all the game developers were banking on the PS3 selling well. Good game development doesn't take 6 months. A good game takes a minimum of 1 year of design, and as many publishers have stated, they never expected the wii to sell this well. So if any publishers are starting to develop any good games for the Wii, they may start coming out around christmas next year. That is the earliest that any good games will start to come out, and if the Wii continues to sell at this ridiculous rate, you better bet a hole slew of games will start coming out of publishers starting late next year.

just to add..

found a lil chart on wat rated games mostly come out for the Wii
a-chart.png

looks like mature games on the back burner

here is the article

Bliss said:
just to add..

found a lil chart on wat rated games mostly come out for the Wii
a-chart.png

looks like mature games on the back burner

here is the article

Is there a similar breakdown for the 360. I would guess that most games for the other consoles will be E as well. Maybe a slightly bigger slice present in the M and T catagories, but I would expect a similar distribution. (almost every sport and racing game will be E or E10+)

Back