Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

Nintendo does have a say in 3rd party games....they can approve or disapprove wat games they want on there console

RedProdigy said:
I agree with what Raisinghelen says. Nintendo's not in a position to be dictating to 3rd parties what they can and can't do when they can easily just run over to the 360 and forget about the Wii. The fact is that crap games will always be made no matter what restrictions are in place so it's useless to complain about them; just don't buy them and move on.

Also, 2nd party games are those published by the 1st party but developed by an outside party. Disaster: DoC is an example of a 2nd party game. Just because a 3rd party game is exclusive doesn't mean that it's a 2nd party game. Zach and Wiki is a 3rd party game even though it's made with the Wii in mind because Nintendo didn't publish the game.

So basically you dont think Nintendo has a choice on the games they released? I was under the impression a company such as Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony are like college scouts that go looking for what the industry has to offer. From there they decide whether they want to do business with the game, usually involving a contract in which they publish the game and get a percentage from the revenues. Now, im no game developer, but if this isnt the way its done and Wii really doesnt have a choice, i could make a game about people taking a crap and make Wii release it? Not likely, because Wii wouldnt do business with me and I wouldnt be able to sell that game to anyone who isnt coked up or on PCP.

Bliss said:
Nintendo does have a say in 3rd party games....they can approve or disapprove wat games they want on there console

Even if they do, Nintendo isn't king of the console's anymore. It would be bad for business to have as many games as possible on the console. Even if most of the games are crappy, you need them there for consumer appeal.

When GC and PS2 game out, did anybody go to the electronics department and see something like 100+ games for the PS2, but you had to look really hard to find those 10 games for the GC. Well any consumer that isn't well researched is going to say, well the PS2 MUST be better because look at all the games that are on it.

T3kNi9e said:
So basically you dont think Nintendo has a choice on the games they released? I was under the impression a company such as Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony are like college scouts that go looking for what the industry has to offer. From there they decide whether they want to do business with the game, usually involving a contract in which they publish the game and get a percentage from the revenues. Now, im no game developer, but if this isnt the way its done and Wii really doesnt have a choice, i could make a game about people taking a crap and make Wii release it? Not likely, because Wii wouldnt do business with me and I wouldnt be able to sell that game to anyone who isnt coked up or on PCP.

I didn't say that Nintendo didn't have the choice because they do but I said that it's not really in a position to be making restrictions. But even with the PS3 and 360, there are crap games. The PS2 is filled to the brim with crap games. Crap games are not exclusive to the Wii. Also, I don't think the analogy with college scouts is quite accurate since for the most part, the 3 companies don't just actively seek out games. I'm sure generally 3rd parties just decide to make a game on a certain console, get discs for that console from its maker, and then make the game. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft may actively seek out certain developers but even then I really doubt they say more than "Make a game for us and [insert money/benefit]" and then go into the specifics of the game.

largedarry said:
Even if they do, Nintendo isn't king of the console's anymore. It would be bad for business to have as many games as possible on the console. Even if most of the games are crappy, you need them there for consumer appeal.

When GC and PS2 game out, did anybody go to the electronics department and see something like 100+ games for the PS2, but you had to look really hard to find those 10 games for the GC. Well any consumer that isn't well researched is going to say, well the PS2 MUST be better because look at all the games that are on it.

ok very true but...

lets say u worked for ninty, and u guys got the Wii out and omg its selling faster then we can make them..and u look back at why the GC didnt do so well and look that the PS2 games sales and all...wouldnt u sit back and just think for min and say...no we are not gonna settle for this left over crap that these 3rd party developers are giving us all the time...we shall step up ourselves and show them wat our system can do....then maybe those 3rd party developers realize..wow the wii reall can do this or that...

just a thought

Bliss said:
ok very true but...

lets say u worked for ninty, and u guys got the Wii out and omg its selling faster then we can make them..and u look back at why the GC didnt do so well and look that the PS2 games sales and all...wouldnt u sit back and just think for min and say...no we are not gonna settle for this left over crap that these 3rd party developers are giving us all the time...we shall step up ourselves and show them wat our system can do....then maybe those 3rd party developers realize..wow the wii reall can do this or that...

just a thought

Isn't nintendo attempting to lead by example now. With so many Wii's out there, nintendo now needs to focus on getting those games out there. Well nintendo has released paper mario, metroid, galaxy and is going to release ssbb and mario kart. What else can nintendo do, send over the nintendo game designers to show these companies how design games?

I honestly don't think there is anything else nintendo can do, but hope these 3rd party publishers try and get on board.

Well my earlier points are still valid (and you can hold me too this prediction), no good 3rd party games will come out until xmas '08, followed by a good stream of games throught '09 and on. So until then, we will be stuck with 2nd rate 3rd party titles with 3-4 good nintendo games to hold us over.

3rd party developers were jumping onto the Wii's success ship a few months ago, or they said they were going to.
So like largedarry points out, it will be a while for those games to be made, but when they do, we could start seeing a surplus.

largedarry said:
Isn't nintendo attempting to lead by example now. With so many Wii's out there, nintendo now needs to focus on getting those games out there. Well nintendo has released paper mario, metroid, galaxy and is going to release ssbb and mario kart. What else can nintendo do, send over the nintendo game designers to show these companies how design games?

I honestly don't think there is anything else nintendo can do, but hope these 3rd party publishers try and get on board.

Well my earlier points are still valid (and you can hold me too this prediction), no good 3rd party games will come out until xmas '08, followed by a good stream of games throught '09 and on. So until then, we will be stuck with 2nd rate 3rd party titles with 3-4 good nintendo games to hold us over.

Yes but all those games u mention are all games that everyone EXPECTS them to put out...why not break the boundry and try something else...come out with there own hell raising game....

and i do agree with u that no good 3rd party games will be seen till next xmas

RedProdigy said:
I didn't say that Nintendo didn't have the choice because they do but I said that it's not really in a position to be making restrictions. But even with the PS3 and 360, there are crap games. The PS2 is filled to the brim with crap games. Crap games are not exclusive to the Wii. Also, I don't think the analogy with college scouts is quite accurate since for the most part, the 3 companies don't just actively seek out games. I'm sure generally 3rd parties just decide to make a game on a certain console, get discs for that console from its maker, and then make the game. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft may actively seek out certain developers but even then I really doubt they say more than "Make a game for us and [insert money/benefit]" and then go into the specifics of the game.

Yea its probably not, but im just putting a point across. But im pretty sure the games are all made on computer, then its probably pitched at the companies and it can either decide to fund it or not. When the game is really good, then they try for a contract to get it exclusively.

But anyway, Wii shouldnt get so many crap games. Even though... you're probably right. Some games are just down right stupid. Even when Xbox first came out they didnt have such bad games. Though didnt really have anything special most of the games were decent. Even Perfect Dark Zero which sucks is better than almost every Wii game. But it could also be that Nintendo either isnt making enough money to come to a resonable price with developers (which doesnt sounds right given there hardware sales are thru the roof) or game developers just dont like the Wii. Because even in gamecube there were alot more 3rd party games. Problem with gamecube I think was the fact that there was no Online capability, even though xbox didnt come with live until a year later. I don't know too many possibilities. Bottom line, Nintendo needs to do something to get some 3rd party support, can't shine with just 1st party games. Because in reality you never hear about Wii, just Xbox 360 and sometimes PS3 and the comparison between PS3 and 360, even though PS3 is in last place. Only time I hear about Wii is when a new 1st Party game is in the works/released or about its hardware sales. Remember Halo hype and even Mass Effect? I barely heard a peep about Mario Galaxy, even though there were speculations saying Mario could beat Halo in sales, but it didnt so after the release I didnt hear much.

Bliss said:
Yes but all those games u mention are all games that everyone EXPECTS them to put out...why not break the boundry and try something else...come out with there own hell raising game....

and i do agree with u that no good 3rd party games will be seen till next xmas

I would be very supprised if they made Super Smash Brothers: Halo edition, :lol: . You know as well as I do, that if Nintendo ever released a game like that, it would be a joke.

I would more likely expect a 2nd party game to break the boundry, but who knows. Did anybody play Scarface? I found it mildly entertaining (except having to play it after the kids are in bed), it's like GTA, but better.

With nintendo, we are all going to wait until the 3rd party companies do it.

CantGetAWii said:
3rd party developers were jumping onto the Wii's success ship a few months ago, or they said they were going to.
So like largedarry points out, it will be a while for those games to be made, but when they do, we could start seeing a surplus.

I so hope this is true, im waiting for the day I see a Wii game in the works and I have the urge of really wanting it bad, I havent felt that for a Wii game yet.

largedarry said:
I would be very supprised if they made Super Smash Brothers: Halo edition, :lol: . You know as well as I do, that if Nintendo ever released a game like that, it would be a joke.

I would more likely expect a 2nd party game to break the boundry, but who knows. Did anybody play Scarface? I found it mildly entertaining (except having to play it after the kids are in bed), it's like GTA, but better.

With nintendo, we are all going to wait until the 3rd party companies do it.

Did you play GTA? All the GTA's except the PSP remakes all recieved atleast a 9.0 (9.0 being the lowest score of them all). Scarface got a 6.2 on Playstation 2 and a 5.8 on Wii. I played it (on PS2) and the reason why it isnt even close to GTA is because there really isnt any story to it. Also the way they continue the story of scarface by letting him survive the hit was stupid. The game was basically take over, sell drugs and get revenge. While GTA is all of that while having a great storyline to it. Best thing about scarface was probably the taunts. But I heard on Wii (from numerous reviews) that the controls are really really bad. The alternate controls were worse. How were they to you? Thats the reason i didnt buy it on Wii.

Back