Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

Even if they do, Nintendo isn't king of the console's anymore. It would be bad for business to have as many games as possible on the console. Even if most of the games are crappy, you need them there for consumer appeal>>>

yes they are...

in case you havent noticed wii has been outselling xbox and ps3. For its 2nd xmas (quite a long fad) ebay is selling basic wiis for as much as the much more expensive ps3s and a good $100 more than xbox360

It's not fair to assume because you have to buy a nunchuck and a Wiimote to have a full controller, Mario Kart won't sell. And it might use the steering wheel, but I really doubt that you'll need it.

No one said they claimed it suck, for the most part most all people agree SSBB is a great game, I just said most people arent gonna get a Wii just for SSBB. Also to call the other titles generic is stupid. There's a reason games like Bioshock have review ratings of , 9.5/10 9.5/10, 9.5/10, 9.6/10, 9.6/10 9.7/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10. Cant call something that is being argued as probably the best game of all time to be generic. Just like some people think Halo is stupid, some people may think Mario is stupid. But you cant deny Halo is good when it makes $170 Million in 1 day. It sold 5 Million copies in a month. Just like no one is gonna deny Super Mario Galaxy is a great game when they sold 500,000 copies in the US in 1 week.

As for Mario Kart, ill be a believer when I read reviews.

BigORhyme said:
It's not fair to assume because you have to buy a nunchuck and a Wiimote to have a full controller, Mario Kart won't sell. And it might use the steering wheel, but I really doubt that you'll need it.

Lol, I never said that... I said I wont get it because I dont feel like buying another full controller. Especially when there are barely any 2 player games aside from stupid party games. I couldnt find 3rd to play a party game if I wanted to. Everyone would look at me like im some stupid kid. You have to realize im 20. The only people I really know of that actually play party games or let alone Wii are kids and the rich people my mom works for. Oh and they dont exactly play it, they have 3 little sons while the dad has Xbox 360 with Halo 3, go figure?

Anyway, I really dont feel like holding a wheel up in mid-air trying to turn good. Which I still wont believe it has good control that way til I see it.

T3kNi9e said:
There's a reason games like Bioshock have review ratings of , 9.5/10 9.5/10, 9.5/10, 9.6/10, 9.6/10 9.7/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10, 10/10. Cant call something that is being argued as probably the best game of all time to be generic.
Bioshock is a great game but there is no way its the best game of all time as its just too short. It would probably be in the top 5 games of the year but not in the top 5 of all time. Anyway isnt SMG rated as the best game ever now (after Zelda OOT).

Halo is nothing special as FPS go, mostly just hype. Ive been playing PC FPS since the days of Wolfenstein and Doom so i can say that. :wink: It was good for a console FPS though as most stunk at that time (except for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) so i can see why the series is popular.

A lot of games nowadays seem far too short, 4-10 hours for a $60 game is becoming the norm, although some offer online play i still expect more than that for my money.

Mario Kart games usually seem to be more fun than its review ratings but im sure the reviews will be great anyway. Nintendo hasnt messed up any of their big franchises yet on Wii and i doubt that they will start with Mario Kart.

I am kind of the reverse of you, there has not been a single game on 360 or PS3 that has excited me enough to want to buy a console (although i think we are getting a 360 this Christmas anyway) the only game i have seen that i would really like to play is Mass Effect, while there are lots of Wii titles i am very interested in.

T3kNi9e said:
You have to realize im 20. The only people I really know of that actually play party games or let alone Wii are kids and the rich people my mom works for. Oh and they dont exactly play it, they have 3 little sons while the dad has Xbox 360 with Halo 3, go figure?

So? I'm older than you. I play "stupid kiddie party games" with my drinking buddies sometimes. You have to be able to laugh man. My mid-50-something parents have a Wii in their house... no PS3 or XBOX360.
If you want to bash the Wii you may be in the wrong forum, buddy.

Last edited:
Lol, im laughing now :) I duno lol its wierd, I cant picture older guys playing games like that. Unless they're already drunk. But to be able to play it you would have to still buy it. Well, everyone has there own taste in games.

to raising: Bioshock is like 20 hrs of gameplay. How is that short? Especially since its a FPS/RPG game. Anyway, ive barely played mario for even 5 hours and im halfway to beating it. and no, SMG isnt rated to being the best game ever, it doesnt have as good rating as Bioshock. Bioshock has the most highest ratings ive ever seen. Even though I never used to follow reviews. As for 4-10 hours for a $60 game. I dont think ive ever played a xbox game thats that low. Maybe movie games, even then you would really have to zip past it like crazy... Oblivion took me about 100 hours to beat. Orange box was about 30-35ish hours.(15 hours for HL2, 5-6 hrs for Ep. 1, 12-15 for Ep. 2), then there's portal and team fortress. My mass effect is about 50-60 hours if you play side quests and explore the planets etc. Halo: CE was pretty short, maybe 12-15 hours, but had an amazing storyline which really made the game really great. Gears of War was probably my shortest game, maybe 10 hours but it has an Insane online mode, ive never had so much fun with a online game on console than gears. Also I didnt buy all those @ $60, just Oblivion/OrangeBox/Mass Effect.

Edit: If the only game you find worth getting is Mass Effect, then you're possibly more of a casual gamer than you think. Either that or you really dont know what your missing. Graphics isnt what makes xbox better in my eyes, its the quality of the games. When i didnt have Xbox and I played Zelda, I thought it was one of the best games ive played and the 1st zelda since OOT to be really good. I would have though metroid Prime was insanely good. But once I got used to playing Xbox games and how good quality they are, the games arent so fun anymore. Thats why its so hard for me to find a good game on Wii. SMG is good, but its not nearly as good as the games ive played because it now feels alot more bland. There's no story, no character development. Its like going from watching movies like WWE's Condemned to watching Quentin Tarantino movies. Condemned is entertaining, but thats all it is. And no, the 360 games are not like how PS2 or Xbox games were. I literally dont think any game on PS2 is up to par with 360 games except god of war. On Xbox, KOTOR and Halo are probably the only games that were really good. Basically the quality of games has shot up tremondously, while the Wii is still at its steady pace, along with PS3, aside from Heavenly Sword and Assassins Creed.

Last edited:
T3kNi9e said:
Lol, im laughing now :) I duno lol its wierd, I cant picture older guys playing games like that. Unless they're already drunk. But to be able to play it you would have to still buy it. Well, everyone has there own taste in games.

to raising: Bioshock is like 20 hrs of gameplay. How is that short? Especially since its a FPS/RPG game. Anyway, ive barely played mario for even 5 hours and im halfway to beating it. and no, SMG isnt rated to being the best game ever, it doesnt have as good rating as Bioshock.

I am twice your age too, its suprising that more adults play on our Wii than kids do as well.

I go by IGN reviews as they seem to be better than most.
Super Mario Galaxy - 9.7
Super Mario Galaxy (AU) - 9.7
Bioshock - 9.7
Bioshock (AU) - 9.5
Not much between them really.

SMG is top though according to Metacritic.
Nintendo's masterpiece has scored an average review score of 97 on the score compiling website, Metacritic, which combines the scores of all the published reviews so far.

This score beats Halo 3's average of 94, and steals the top spot from Bioshock, which scored 96. This also puts Call of Duty 4 (95), Gears of War (94), The Orange Box (96) and Oblivion (93) down a peg.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175637

Just because our tastes differ does not make me 'more casual', heck i was a hardcore gamer before you were even born. Mass Effect is the only game that really interests me on 360 because i hate playing shooters with analogue sticks and most 360 releases are available on PC as well, so i know exactly what im not missing.

You go by IGN? You know they're the most one you should avoid. They are biased towards companies that help fund them. There was an article about how they edited reviews in favor or against favor and were caught. Most people hate IGN and go more with Gamespot/Game Informer, especially game informer because they take there reviews way more serious than anyone else. I dont look at metacritic either because it takes reviews of all reviewers including some japanese reviewers who hate american games for the most part. Ive seen shitty games get 70-80 at metacritic. Game Informer/Game Spot only ones for me.

Gamespot is more credible than IGN? LMAO, that's rich, especially since Jeff G. just got canned for giving Kane and Lynch a 6/10. Also, IGN has different teams of reviewers for each console. Just because Hilary may be taking bribes doesn't mean that Matt is, for example. I've found that Gamespot underrates Wii games (see: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) and that Gametrailers and IGN are the ones that are more reliable. But I suppose the perferred site is based on opinion.

Ok, you reject Metacritic. Go to Gamerankings and Super Mario Galaxy is rated 97 as well there.

samXcor3 said:
even ubisoft said assassins creed wouldnt be on wii because its not casual enough. thats the biggest insult ive ever gotten as a gamer
wth?! Ubisoft your killing me!! I think that the casual gaming thing is good and nintendo is making buttloads of $ because of it, but i agree they do need to even it out with some game that people will play competitively (with the exeption of SSBB).

LoganSix said:
esrbdistributions015.png

So, as the poster above nicely pointed out.
If you have been following Nintendo, you know that they don't produce a ton of Mature rated games compared to Sony and Microsoft.

Did you think the Wii was going to be different?
now if you go back to all the rest of the consoles you will see nintendo balanced its games, it wasnt untill the gamecube that they started their family friendly bs, and thus thats when they hit a bump in the road.

jiml said:
Even if they do, Nintendo isn't king of the console's anymore. It would be bad for business to have as many games as possible on the console. Even if most of the games are crappy, you need them there for consumer appeal>>>

yes they are...

in case you havent noticed wii has been outselling xbox and ps3. For its 2nd xmas (quite a long fad) ebay is selling basic wiis for as much as the much more expensive ps3s and a good $100 more than xbox360
come on now its the first time nintendo has outsold any other console since the early 90's, as a matter of fact its the first time they out sold a real competitor in the market period. So to call them king of consoles is a very big overstatement! If there was a true king of consoles it would be the playstation two, out selling the dream cast, out selling n64, out selling the xbox, and still to this day has sold more than any other console, and is still selling and is still going almost 10 years later, thats a real king.

I hope the wii does get better, because if it doesnt its just like some one said before me its just like a board game it gets put up in the closet till some one comes to play. There is just too much potential for this system and its getting thrown to a bunch of people who realy don't apreatiate gaming for what it is. to them its just the new thing to do( the new tech toy) IF THINGS STAY THE SAME this time next year the fad will fade away and so will the remaining support the wii has.

i don't see the point to any of your arguments.

there all fads. there all garbage when the next gen comes out.. they all make the money they want. **** the gamers. its what we can get out of it.

and reviews from magazines/websites/etc. are garbage. ive gone by reviews and been disappointed plenty of times. soo i review my own games. but then again thats the benefit of having a gamefly account? :eek:

the system will hardly die out im sure of it.

neither will the 360 or ps3.

they all know what there doing. and they all have their mistakes.

im just waiting for their "nearly flawless" generation of consoles. then ill be happy

yungblood6 said:
come on now its the first time nintendo has outsold any other console since the early 90's, as a matter of fact its the first time they out sold a real competitor in the market period. So to call them king of consoles is a very big overstatement! If there was a true king of consoles it would be the playstation two, out selling the dream cast, out selling n64, out selling the xbox, and still to this day has sold more than any other console, and is still selling and is still going almost 10 years later, thats a real king.

I hope the wii does get better, because if it doesnt its just like some one said before me its just like a board game it gets put up in the closet till some one comes to play. There is just too much potential for this system and its getting thrown to a bunch of people who realy don't apreatiate gaming for what it is. to them its just the new thing to do( the new tech toy) IF THINGS STAY THE SAME this time next year the fad will fade away and so will the remaining support the wii has.

I do agree that the PS2 is still the top console on the market. It is still getting most of the games coming out, and I believe it's still selling HW.

Are saying companies like Sega weren't real competitors? Nintendo dominated the console market for close to a decade, mainly because Nintendo created most of the good games to be played on their consoles.

What everyone is still seeing is game developers are scrambling to stop the bleeding that is PS3 game development. I think most developers just assumed that the PS3 would sell because the PS2 was so amazing. So I'm guessing around 4-6 months ago, these developers started to realize that the PS3 doesn't have enough hardware out there to make any profitable software sales. Most of us Wii owners should be happy that every Joe Shmoe is trying to buy a Wii. The only way we will get good games for the purchasing power of >16 million people. Even the stupidest game publishers would start throwing money into Wii game development, the possibilty to turn a profit is just there.

Back