Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

RedProdigy said:
Gamespot is more credible than IGN? LMAO, that's rich, especially since Jeff G. just got canned for giving Kane and Lynch a 6/10. Also, IGN has different teams of reviewers for each console. Just because Hilary may be taking bribes doesn't mean that Matt is, for example. I've found that Gamespot underrates Wii games (see: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) and that Gametrailers and IGN are the ones that are more reliable. But I suppose the perferred site is based on opinion.

Ok, you reject Metacritic. Go to Gamerankings and Super Mario Galaxy is rated 97 as well there.

Kane and Lynch does suck. Its just an "Entertaining" game. But other than that its just another average game. 6/10 suits it compared to the average xbox game. Fire Emblem I also think is trash. I would never waste my time playing that game. I could care less what you think but thats a nerd game, if you love it your a nerd, I dont care what you say. If you dont wanna follow gamespot then atleast follow 1up.com they're one of the most influential reviewers around, they alteast gave your Fire Emblem a decent rating. They gave Mario a real good rating, but mentioned that near the end it starts to get repetitive in level layout, which I agree. But still, IGN?! They're seriously the worst.

yungblood6 said:
come on now its the first time nintendo has outsold any other console since the early 90's, as a matter of fact its the first time they out sold a real competitor in the market period. So to call them king of consoles is a very big overstatement! If there was a true king of consoles it would be the playstation two, out selling the dream cast, out selling n64, out selling the xbox, and still to this day has sold more than any other console, and is still selling and is still going almost 10 years later, thats a real king.
If you are only referring to single consoles then the PS2 is the best selling ever (although the sales dont reflect people replacing their broken down PS2s, the fact that they did replace them shows its strength). The Playstation brand ruled because it targeted a different demographic to Sega and Nintendo, that being older gamers and the club crowd, it made gaming trendy.

It is interesting though that the Wii is dominating sales now after targetting another new demographic, Nintendo must have learned their lessons from the PS2 era eh. The fact that the Wii is also the fastest selling console ever makes it a serious contender to the PS2. It may turn out to be king after all if the trends continue.

However if you are looking at companies as a whole then Nintendo would be a serious contender for the crown (if you include hand helds then they take it easily). They have produced the best selling hardware time and time again, the N64 and Gamecube were the only consoles that did not really dominate their generation sales wise due to the rise of the Playstation brand, yet Nintendo still made a profit on those consoles. That they still flourish as a hardware company after more than 20 years shows their power, while most of their competitors fell.

Rough Nintendo sales for over 2 decades:

NES - around 60 million
Sega Master System - around 13 million

Game Boy - 69 million
Game Boy Color - 49 million
Sega Game Gear - 11 million

SNES - 49 million
Sega Genesis/Megadrive - 29 million
TurboGrafx 16 - 10 million

Game Boy Advance - 80 million
DS - 53 million
PSP - 25 million

Im sure someone will say that the Wii is just the fastest selling [STRIKE]console[/STRIKE] fad, probably just because they are in denial though and ignore any facts.

yungblood6 said:
come on now its the first time nintendo has outsold any other console since the early 90's, as a matter of fact its the first time they out sold a real competitor in the market period. So to call them king of consoles is a very big overstatement! If there was a true king of consoles it would be the playstation two, out selling the dream cast, out selling n64, out selling the xbox, and still to this day has sold more than any other console, and is still selling and is still going almost 10 years later, thats a real king.

PS2 has sold tons, and it is awesome. I've owned two, and would still play it if I had space to hook it up on my TV. I won't argue, it's king.

yungblood6 said:
I hope the wii does get better, because if it doesnt its just like some one said before me its just like a board game it gets put up in the closet till some one comes to play. There is just too much potential for this system and its getting thrown to a bunch of people who realy don't apreatiate gaming for what it is. to them its just the new thing to do( the new tech toy) IF THINGS STAY THE SAME this time next year the fad will fade away and so will the remaining support the wii has.

Yep, I'm the "board game" guy. You're right, the system does have a lot of potential. Much of that potential has not yet been exploited. But you (and too many others) keep saying that within one year--365 days--third-party support and consumer support for Wii will disappear. That's ridiculous! It's not like the Virtual Boy, which was a total flop of a system. You can't just sell millions of systems and then expect that within one year that system will "fade away". Hell, Nintendo could stop making games but continue advertising, and that alone would be enough to keep people interested, playing, and purchasing software and hardware. Now, two years? Maybe, if first-party AND third-party development end TODAY. Honestly, any relatively popular system will see a lifespan at around five years. So, why worry until then?

Gamespot reviews are retarded. They are usually full of contradictions and it is the kind of site that marks down Wii games for not being in 1080p or something stupid. Even Gamespot members dont trust the reviews and many only use it to get their news.

IGN reviews seem to match what i would rate games and the Wii team there is great.

I doubt it. They give their reasons, usually its bad controls, linear, repetitive. I think you guys are either diehard Nintendo fans to the point that you dont like your games being called crap compared to other games, but its the fact. Aside from Nintendo games most of the games suck. Or maybe you guys havent appreciated PS2/Xbox enough to realize why. And im not talking about graphics, Im talking about everything else. For instance Time Shift looks real good, but its stupid, I much rather play the much more graphic inferior Metroid Prime.

Have you guys ever thought maybe they're biased towards IGN? Which is why its never good to just look at one site. Have you guys notice how many ads they have? They are payed alot of money and no matter what that does have influence on things. Thats like when that guy donated a shitload of money to Ohio state and the administrators admit that his opinion counts alot at the school.

Besides, there is no doubt that Wii has the worst game line-up vs the competitors. Just a few pages ago everyone was agreeing to that because of horrible 3rd-party support. Even at your loved IGN, look at there list of Editors Choice, almost all the games are Virtual Console games. Now look at 360, almost every last one of them is 360 games and not arcade.

Even when you look at metacritic, only 4 games are in the 90's

Xbox has 12
PS3 only has 3, but better overall games with its top 20 being atleast 80s. Only Wii's top 12 is in the 80s.
PS2 is leading with all its top 20 in the 90s, but PS2 is old, so they have big advantage.

T3kNi9e said:
I doubt it. They give their reasons, usually its bad controls, linear, repetitive. I think you guys are either diehard Nintendo fans to the point that you dont like your games being called crap compared to other games, but its the fact. Aside from Nintendo games most of the games suck. Or maybe you guys havent appreciated PS2/Xbox enough to realize why. And im not talking about graphics, Im talking about everything else. For instance Time Shift looks real good, but its stupid, I much rather play the much more graphic inferior Metroid Prime.

Have you guys ever thought maybe they're biased towards IGN? Which is why its never good to just look at one site. Have you guys notice how many ads they have? They are payed alot of money and no matter what that does have influence on things. Thats like when that guy donated a shitload of money to Ohio state and the administrators admit that his opinion counts alot at the school.

Besides, there is no doubt that Wii has the worst game line-up vs the competitors. Just a few pages ago everyone was agreeing to that because of horrible 3rd-party support. Even at your loved IGN, look at there list of Editors Choice, almost all the games are Virtual Console games. Now look at 360, almost every last one of them is 360 games and not arcade.

Even when you look at metacritic, only 4 games are in the 90's

Xbox has 12
PS3 only has 3, but better overall games with its top 20 being atleast 80s. Only Wii's top 12 is in the 80s.
PS2 is leading with all its top 20 in the 90s, but PS2 is old, so they have big advantage.
Gamespots MP3 review is one of the best examples of their ineptitude, they started by saying MP3 was too similar to its predecessors then finish up by saying its too different to its predecessors. Then they probably mark it down twice for both reasons.

4 games over 90 at Metacritic? Thats great! How many 360 games would there have been over 90 in its first year? I figure perhaps 2 at most (and im probably being generous), so considering the Wii has 4 and PS3 has 3 in their first year they are doing great.

Maybe given another year the Wii and PS3 will have 12 too, after all the best games dont usually come out at launch.

I am sorry, but I am about to ask you a question because I can't figure out where to go to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm hoping you can help.
I'm trying to play gamecube games on my Wii. I bought a gretbird wireless gamecube controller, but it doesn;t seem to affect the gamecube games, which load . but do not resond the controller.

Any advice or can you tell me where I might find help. Much appreciate.

Thanks.

T3kNi9e said:
Lol, I never said that... I said I wont get it because I dont feel like buying another full controller. Especially when there are barely any 2 player games aside from stupid party games. I couldnt find 3rd to play a party game if I wanted to. Everyone would look at me like im some stupid kid. You have to realize im 20. The only people I really know of that actually play party games or let alone Wii are kids and the rich people my mom works for. Oh and they dont exactly play it, they have 3 little sons while the dad has Xbox 360 with Halo 3, go figure?

Anyway, I really dont feel like holding a wheel up in mid-air trying to turn good. Which I still wont believe it has good control that way til I see it.

im 21 and none of my friends look at me like some kid when i ask them to play wii or talk about the wii. and i know alot of adults that play wii you need to get that misconception that wii is for kids out of your head... lol i dont need to shoot people or play lame halo to feel like an adult. I do have kids and yes THEY play the wii.

have you ever played NFS carbon? i will just go ahead and assume the MKwii will have the same control as that minus the shifting and the NFS controlls were great.

heyfurs said:
I am sorry, but I am about to ask you a question because I can't figure out where to go to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm hoping you can help.
I'm trying to play gamecube games on my Wii. I bought a gretbird wireless gamecube controller, but it doesn;t seem to affect the gamecube games, which load . but do not resond the controller.

Any advice or can you tell me where I might find help. Much appreciate.

Thanks.

get a different controller

and there are other threads for this type of question

Being from the Uk I got Mario galaxy , Metroid 3 , Resi evil 4. Resi Evil U/C

Ive just bought myself Skies of Arcadia Legend to tied me over until some more decent games hit the uk shores!

5 of the 12 games from 360 are from its first year. 3 of 4 of Wii's are from Nintendo. Nintendo can only do but so much, they cant keep pumping out hits alone. So other developers need to step up, Capcom has done that with Resident Evil 4, sadly it couldnt do the same with RE:UC because rails arent much more than just entertainment.

Now we can go back and forth and discuss this, but a debate on whether Xbox or Wii has better games isnt even practical... Wii isnt even close to 360 in thats department yet. There is no doubt Wii is coming out on top when it comes to hardware sales, but when it comes to who has better games, its obvious 360 does. Only people who will say its not true are Wii fanboys. Seeing that im a Wii fanboy and a Xbox 360 fanboy, I really have no bias feelings towards any, its just simple and plan answer that 360 currently has better games, and unless 3rd party developers step up Wii will stay in last. They may have hardware sales, and 3rd in software sales, but it doesnt make there games better. Games that can be looked foward to next year are MarioKart, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, No More Hereos, and Bully. SSBB is a auto hit, that will be in the 90's at metacritic, no doubt. MarioKart will depend on how innovative they are this time around and how well the controls are, having online will only boost it (possibly will be the best racing game) and if the controls are nice I might get it. No More Heroes, I hope to god thats good because it looks fun. It comes out tomorrow, but in Japan. Im sure the Japanese will probably like it, but I want to see some american reviews because face it, FPS are Americas top game, there's a reason why FPS are dominated by american players instead of Asians dominating games such ass StarCraft and WarCraft. Bully is probably the one im least worried about because im sure it will be good, it will come down to the fact if the controls arent screwed up, and if they somehow add some fun Online mode that would make it great, though very doubtful.

Anyway, when SSBB is released that will be 5 games in 90s, possibly 6 with MarioKart.

T3kNi9e said:
5 of the 12 games from 360 are from its first year. 3 of 4 of Wii's are from Nintendo.
Im not sure what 5 360 titles you are looking at, i can see Oblivion, GRAW and GOW just made it by a couple of weeks but everything else is from the second year.

Super Mario Galaxy misses out by 6 days to be exact, although most people would probably consider it to qualify for the first year.

So that would be 3 for 360 in its first year and 3 for Wii in its first year with SMG only 6 days behind.

The point isnt that one system has better games, we know that the 360 has a much better library because its been out longer. The point is that if you compare the top rated releases the Wii is in no worse shape than the 360 was at the same point in its life, so you shouldnt be writing it off. The best games for a system do not come out straight away.

My mistake, you're right I wont argue that.

But I dont think Xbox was in the same shape as Wii is now in software. Xbox still had better overall line up. Wii's goes from Some real good games, to some good ones, to bad.

But even so, I personally think from playing both Xbox and Wii that the top games in Xbox 360 are alot better than the Wii's. I had more fun playing the old Half-Life game from The Orange Box than any game on Wii. Nintendo has gone down in the challenge aspect.

Yup, except you really need to keep upgrading your PC, which is very costly and is why I quit playing PC games. But you're still right, which is why there's a big plus to buying the Wii. Thats why I have both Wii and 360, Wii statisfies my Nintendo needs that ive always loved while 360 satisfies me when it comes to the more current games, more mature games, challenging games and the competitiveness of online that Wii doesnt have.

I know Wii has online, but its not good. Wii players may think its good if they havent experienced Xbox Live or maybe even PSN (Playstation Network). Its nice to see Nintendo bringing in Online this time and it brings more competition to it, but it has a LONG way to go to catch up to even PSN, let alone Xbox Live.

Back