Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

SensesFail said:
thats the problem i had, everybody is saying "the wii is gonna have some sweet games coming out" but i dont see any? ive been hearing that since i bought my wii seven or eight months ago. there was a couple good games, resident evil 4 among them wich is just a port, much like alot of the other games.
your right i must admit nintendo realy sucked it up this time letting companies make *hity third party games. im getting an xbox for xmas becase the wii sucks hard. forshame nintendo:nono:

T3kNi9e said:
Did you play GTA? All the GTA's except the PSP remakes all recieved atleast a 9.0 (9.0 being the lowest score of them all). Scarface got a 6.2 on Playstation 2 and a 5.8 on Wii. I played it (on PS2) and the reason why it isnt even close to GTA is because there really isnt any story to it. Also the way they continue the story of scarface by letting him survive the hit was stupid. The game was basically take over, sell drugs and get revenge. While GTA is all of that while having a great storyline to it. Best thing about scarface was probably the taunts. But I heard on Wii (from numerous reviews) that the controls are really really bad. The alternate controls were worse. How were they to you? Thats the reason i didnt buy it on Wii.

I'll admit that the GTA games had better storylines and more replay (Scarface is a poor attempt at a story). I'm talking purely in the gameplay sense. I actually laughed many times playing Scarface, the conversations with random strangers is too funny, plus the taunts are good. I enjoyed the control scheme, it was a good change from the PS2 controller schemes.

I played all the GTA games (except the PSP one), and they are good games. Scarface should just be treated as a stepping stone on the way to great 3rd person or over the shoulder shooters. I just really like the ways the Wii is taking console gaming. I always feel more relaxed playing a Wii, maybe its less button memorizing.

Well yea overall gameplay was pretty fun. How was the controls? I forgot how reviewers said it was like, but I heard it was really bad. Did you have to point at the screen the whole time or what? I forgot.

When your not driving, you had to point at the screen. It probably bothered some people that the camera would turn when the pointer went to the side of the screen. I'm just saying it is a welcome change, makes gaming more relaxing again.

Sounds wierd :p They shoulda just left the moving with the analog stick. I think EA was smart with the Godfather, they didnt go overboard or trying to force something and the controls ended up being great.

Wait.. the GTA games had storylines? I guess i just never followed them, maybe i was just concentrating on the missions. Cant remember a storyline that was really rememberable.

Scarface was pretty good on Wii although not quite as good as Godfather imo (controls are not as good). I thought the game got better as it went on. In terms of story it cannot match the Godfather because its kind of a 'what if?' continuation of a great movie, but Tony Montana is a great character regardless (his taunts were great too). It is more violent than GTA but it is very similar game. I bought it for $50, completed it after about 40 hours and then traded it because one sandbox game was enough for my collection. The reviews varied a lot, ranging from around 6/10 to 8/10, i would probably say that its a 7/10 though.

Back to the subject of duff third party gamers, well in the past Nintendo aimed for quality over quantity, not just for their own games but for other developers too. So the developers jumped ship to Sony platforms and release a ton of garbage because Sony didnt hassle them like Nintendo did. People see all the games for PS1/PS2 and think 'well that must be the best console, look at all the games it has', they dont think about the majority of those games being awful. If they looked at a Nintendo console at the same time they saw less games and even though a higher percentage of those games were actually decent they would think 'less games = less successful'. So now Wii gets a ton of duff third party stuff, it dosent bother me as it worked out fine for PS2 before. More games = more console owners = more decent games eventually.

Many developers have tried to cash in quick on the casual games and i cant really blame them because the Wii is known to be a great party system already. They wont be able to just release casual games though because at some point the casual players will want more too and stop being so casual.

Multiplatform games are a bit of a problem if they are designed for 360/PS3 to start off, mainly because it means the Wii gets a ported PS2 version instead of a Wii specific version. Eventually though developers will have to concentrate on the Wii versions more because if the current sales of hardware continue there would be too many Wii owners to let such potential profits slip away. If you can sell 500k copies of a game on Wii compared to 100k on another platform, sooner or later you will have to rethink your priorities.

Even if developers are just porting old games they should make sure its a good game to start with and one that will benefit from the move to Wii, such as Okami (a port i am actually looking forward to).

The Wii has had a good first year and Nintendo's own releases for next year guarantee that the third party standards will have be raised, or else they wont be able to compete.

the way i see it is like most of you have said it takes time for good games and unlike nintendo who made there games( they would of made if wii not a succses) they underestimated it.so wait about 4-5 months then we see a couple of good 3rd party games.

the only problem i see is that when the ps2 was realesed sony said it had a 10 year live so it will end in 2010. and they are sticking to this as a new ps2 is coming out soon. hopefully this dosent mean more crappy ports though

jimbo said:
the only problem i see is that when the ps2 was realesed sony said it had a 10 year live so it will end in 2010. and they are sticking to this as a new ps2 is coming out soon. hopefully this dosent mean more crappy ports though
Yes thats the Wii's main problem, if only the PS2 would lay down and die. Its also a problem for the PS3 as its harder to get people to upgrade to your new console when you are still selling your old one.

raisinghelen said:
its harder to get people to upgrade to your new console when you are still selling your old one.

that right there says it all...thats Sonys problem right now

I duno if thats true. The way I see it, having PS2 still in the game creates more games for Wii to be ported. The problem is that when they make the wii version they screw up the controls. Usually when a game is on both PS2 and Wii and you read the reviews, the main problem seems to be 2 things. The controls end up being bad on the wii because they go overboard with the movements and the sensors dont pick up on it well. If you notice Nintendo games, there controls are more simple and it integrates well. Also the Online, PS2 has established it online so its easier for them to do it. Wii just recently got online and is limited to only a few games.

I think Nintendo controls who gets to use certain capabilties, but im not sure. Im not sure why they cut out online on Wii, so im guessing it has to do with Nintendo. But im confident 2008 will bring more online and possibly 3rd party developers learning how to make the controls for the games.

Also, the playstation 2 titles itself have gone down since the playstation 3 when it comes to how good the games are. Which leaves me to believe that game developers dont want to work with old hardware as much.

Problem is either developers dont like the Wii motion sensors or didnt/dont realize Wii potential. I mean, they're making Mercenaries 2 on 360/PS3/PC and get this, also PS2... So they can easily port it to Wii but they're not going to... Why? Either Nintendo doesnt want the game on there console or they think Wii sucks. I dont think Nintendo would turn it down, I dont see why they would, violence cant be the reason, thats obvious with games like Manhunt 2 and Resident Evil on Wii.

Ok theres been a ton of talk about third parties and how the Wii will struggle if they dont improve. I think that the Wii will be a success in 2008 regardless of third party efforts though.

I believe that three things will ensure it. All by Nintendo themselves.

1. SSBB. Well theres not much to say other than it looks great and has a huge following already.

2. Mario Kart, again a huge following and nobody will be able to resist online karting.

3. Wii Fit. Ok its a casual title, probably appealing to casuals who want a bit more activity than WiiSports, people who think it might actually get them fit and to people who can see the possibilities that it could give the Wii.

What possibilities am i talking about? Well outside of implementing it into main stream gaming i can imagine that it could be used for activities other than teaching you Yoga. For example, say they released MMA software (mixed martial arts) for it that helped you improve your techniques, even something as simple as teaching you Tai Chi should sell well. The people who would buy such things may be outside of the regular gamer group but they would be just as big a potential market and one that Nintendo would have cornered. This could apply to any activity that requires body movement, whether it be perfecting a golf swing or pefecting your line dancing. There are a lot of opportunites opening up for Nintendo.

Now add the rest of the games that will be released in 2008 (hopefully a higher standard of third party releases too) and there is no way that the Wii can possibly 'repeat the Gamecube'.

raisinghelen said:
Ok theres been a ton of talk about third parties and how the Wii will struggle if they dont improve. I think that the Wii will be a success in 2008 regardless of third party efforts though.

1. SSBB. Well theres not much to say other than it looks great and has a huge following already.

2. Mario Kart, again a huge following and nobody will be able to resist online karting.

3. Wii Fit. Ok its a casual title, probably appealing to casuals who want a bit more activity than WiiSports, people who think it might actually get them fit and to people who can see the possibilities that it could give the Wii.

What possibilities am i talking about? Well outside of implementing it into main stream gaming i can imagine that it could be used for activities other than teaching you Yoga. For example, say they released MMA software (mixed martial arts) for it that helped you improve your techniques, even something as simple as teaching you Tai Chi should sell well. The people who would buy such things may be outside of the regular gamer group but they would be just as big a potential market and one that Nintendo would have cornered. This could apply to any activity that requires body movement, whether it be perfecting a golf swing or pefecting your line dancing. There are a lot of opportunites opening up for Nintendo.

Now add the rest of the games that will be released in 2008 (hopefully a higher standard of third party releases too) and there is no way that the Wii can possibly 'repeat the Gamecube'.

yes those 3 games will give the Wii a huge push in there games, but 3 games will NOT ensure sucess for a console..

you need 3rd party developers...without them, ur an artist without a canvas...yes i do believe nintendo themselves need to step up there gaming but they need help as well as the other consoles

raisinghelen said:

Here's the problem, not everyone cares for Nintendo games. Hell, most people who get Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 over Wii dont care for it. They acknowledge its a gg, but only some of them actually care enough to buy the wii to play it.

I personally like the nintendo titles, but truthfully the ones you mentioned arent really catching my eye... why? because...

1. SSBB, I never really got into Melee, It was okay for a while, then I just got really sick and tired of it. My brothers liked it alot more and they ended up never wanting to play it anymore. They didnt even play it for that long. So I dont really care for SSBB and probably wont get it unless there's nothing else to get on Wii and there's nothing thats catching my eye on Xbox. Though its so close to GTA4 release, that I probably wont get it.

2. Mario Kart, ah a classic. Well for me it presents a problem this go around. The nunchuck+remote cost like $50 together. So right now I only can play alone. Mario Kart was never really fun alone after playing it a few times. It really shined playing with other people. Not to mention the controls may use the steering wheel. I doubt the controls will be responsive enough to feel as good as normal old controller. So I probably wont even get this either.

3. Wii Fit, Waaaay to casual for me, I personally dont see this as a game. More like a flashy new way for out of shape people to exercise.

Bliss said:
yes those 3 games will give the Wii a huge push in there games, but 3 games will NOT ensure sucess for a console..

you need 3rd party developers...without them, ur an artist without a canvas...yes i do believe nintendo themselves need to step up there gaming but they need help as well as the other consoles
They are 3 major titles, although i know that you are not a SSBB fan, you must know that it is the Nintendo equivalant of 360s Halo3 or PS3s MGS4. They are killer aps that can sell consoles by themselves.

T3kNi9e said:
Here's the problem, not everyone cares for Nintendo games. Hell, most people who get Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 over Wii dont care for it. They acknowledge its a gg, but only some of them actually care enough to buy the wii to play it.

2. Mario Kart, ah a classic. Well for me it presents a problem this go around. The nunchuck+remote cost like $50 together. So right now I only can play alone. Mario Kart was never really fun alone after playing it a few times. It really shined playing with other people. Not to mention the controls may use the steering wheel. I doubt the controls will be responsive enough to feel as good as normal old controller. So I probably wont even get this either.

If they cant appreciate good games then they dont deserve them and should stick to playing generic titles. Pure graphics whores do not advance gaming, which is lucky or else we would all be playing Dragons Lair 2007 right now.

With Mario Kart, it wont matter if you only have 1 controller. You can play people online and not have to make do with a splitscreen. Im sure that Nintendo will nail the controls too, just look how MP3 turned out.

Ultimately the Wii's success could be outside of regular gaming, even if the hardcore crowd dont like it. If you own more than one console though (Bliss i know you have PS3 & Wii) you are set for some great gaming. Get the games that can only exist on Wii such as Trauma Center (i keep referencing this game but i love it) and the more mainstream titles on PS3/360. That way you will be a winner whatever happens.

Back