Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

largedarry said:
Is there a similar breakdown for the 360. I would guess that most games for the other consoles will be E as well. Maybe a slightly bigger slice present in the M and T catagories, but I would expect a similar distribution. (almost every sport and racing game will be E or E10+)
not that i have seen..i found it on a wii news site

I'm all for the glory that is a pie chart, but in all honesty, 1 pie chart is about as useful as anything a statistics expert can create.

ohhhhh ur really gonna put me to work on this huh

ok i got them
here are all the ESRB Rating Distributions for all 3 consoles

esrbdistributions009.png

PS3
esrbdistributions010.png

Wii
esrbdistributions008.png

and here is my SOURCE

Last edited:
I really plan on it.

I'll give a good example of statistics scewing, just for fun.

Did you know that an average of 0.6 people per year in the US die from shark attacks (even this number is disputed because several US shark attack deaths might be baracuda attacks). Then I could use this number and start saying that this is ridiculous, close to 6 people die every decade from sharks, we should start putting up shark barriers.

Now without any references, this number may be seen as serious, but with a comparison, on average 2.18 people die every year from a vending machine accidents (those vicous things are out to get us). I'm pretty sure paper cuts cause more deaths per year than sharks.

So without a reference, I take no merit in that pie chart.

I guess this is a little long winded to ask for another pie chart, but since I'm being difficult, I'll be as difficult as possible.

T3kNi9e said:
I personally wont deny it. My stupidity fell into Nintendo's lap with there gimmick. Now I wasnt stupid enough to fall for the handheld gimmicks but I did fall for the wii. When I saw it I was in awe. I thought Nintendo were smart as hell for using motion controls and being able to aim with the nunchuck. But instead of ATLEAST getting alot more decent mutliplatform 3rd party software, we barely get any multiplatformers compared to gamecube (which still sucked compared to PS2/Xbox. But we get "Wii Exclusives" aka 2nd party software that are complete trash to the AVERAGE gamer, unless your a kid or a person who loves party games. I never would have thought a game company as big as nintendo would put out games like My Word Coach and Big Brain Academy to name a few. Now! Before you jump down my throat, we obviously know these arent Nintendo's games, they're 2nd party software. BUT! Nintendo should put there foot down at one point or another and tell them enough is enough. There's nothing wrong with games like that in reality, but to have more than half of Nintendo's games to be party games/educational/kids games is over the top. There are only a handful of games that you could hold with literally 1 hand in Nintendo's library that critics actually recommend.

I do give props to NINTENDO, for there software, as in most of those recommended games come from them. I just wish other developers wouldnt make half ass games on Nintendo, and I wish when they did, Nintendo would give them a big FUK YOU, because I know Microsoft and Sony would.

EDIT: Also, you dont need HD to play Xbox 360, I also still have a shitty standard TV and all my games still look amazing. Having HD is like having a big perk.

Red, you're so quick to bash me always and you're not actually reading my posts are you?

You're naming NINTENDO games, Which I clearly said, most all of NINTENDO games are GOOD. I said 3rd-Part games are the ones that suck. The only problem I have with Nintendo is the direction they're going with there 3rd-party games. Believe it or not Nintendo does have a say in which games are released on their system. A stupid game like Carnival Games, Bleach: Shattered Blade, Double Dribble, Anubis II, etc. Instead of putting money into helping these shitty developers they should probably invest more money within Nintendo to possibly make new franchises within Nintendo, or make more QUALITY spin-offs. Or, using the money into getting some contracts with good developers and asking them to work hard on making GOOD games for them. Nintendo itself is doing a great job in making games for people. So dont act as if im acting there games, because there games are the best on Wii.

esrbdistributions015.png

So, as the poster above nicely pointed out.
If you have been following Nintendo, you know that they don't produce a ton of Mature rated games compared to Sony and Microsoft.

Did you think the Wii was going to be different?

largedarry said:
I really plan on it.

I'll give a good example of statistics scewing, just for fun.

Did you know that an average of 0.6 people per year in the US die from shark attacks (even this number is disputed because several US shark attack deaths might be baracuda attacks). Then I could use this number and start saying that this is ridiculous, close to 6 people die every decade from sharks, we should start putting up shark barriers.

Now without any references, this number may be seen as serious, but with a comparison, on average 2.18 people die every year from a vending machine accidents (those vicous things are out to get us). I'm pretty sure paper cuts cause more deaths per year than sharks.

So without a reference, I take no merit in that pie chart.

I guess this is a little long winded to ask for another pie chart, but since I'm being difficult, I'll be as difficult as possible.

look above ur post smart ass

Bliss said:
look above ur post smart ass

Well you've proven that you can find info on the internet faster than I can be a smart ass. Well I guess I need to practice a little bit.

And looking at the chart put up by LoganSix, the Wii neeeds to really up the M and T game production to even match the savageness of the GC.

Well that chart also reflects that fact that 75% of the games out have been those stupid games from Ubisoft. I'm guessing the Wii will eventually reflect the 360 chart (unless they start deeming the slashing of the Wiimote M instead of T). Eventually these 3rd party publishers (other than Ubisoft) will start making more games that will start to fall in the T catagory.

CantGetAWii said:
Have you ever thought the time it takes to make good games though?
Seriously, 360 didn't have good games till like Christmas of when it launched, and its been out for 2 years now it has the good games. Nintendo's made casual games yes, and some hardcore. So you could say since there were more casual games, now we will get more hardcore games. I am basing that assumption on what you guys base yours on. Which is nothing but mere opinions and random grumblings of news and articles.

Its easy to say that, and its easy to pull random articles off the internet, which may or may not be old articles that could have been made shortly after the Wii's release.

Hardcore titles are coming though, Mario Kart, Brawl, Disaster..new StarFox.
I don't see the need to bicker all the time about Nintendo's lack of games.
Cus like I said 360's been out for 2 years..and the Wii is going into its second soon..and all of those games are coming out in the second year of the Wii's console life. Seems pretty even to me.

You also didnt pay attention to my post. Im not hating Nintendo games, I love there games. Those are the games I give thumbs up to. Im talking about 3rd-party games. Which btw, I dont expect Wii to have alot of hits in its first year from 3RD-PARTY GAMES. But I do atleast expect some decent games from 3RD-PARTY DEVELOPERS.

Let me break down the definitions

1st-Party Games - Games made by Nintendo for Wii. Example: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twlight Princess, Mario Charged Strikers, etc.
2nd-Party Games - Games made exclusively for Wii, but not made by Nintendo. Example: Resident Evil: UC, Ghost Squad, Nights: Journey of Dreams*, Medal of Honor Heros 2, etc.
3rd-Party Games - Games not made for any specific console and are usually multiplatformers. Example: Call of Duty, Madden, NBA Live, Resident Evil, Assasins Creed, Guitar Hero, etc.

Do you understand now? Im talking about 3rd-Party crap games that are released on Wii and lack thereof 3rd-Party games. I want Wii to sent higher standard being they are a Game company unlike Microsoft+Sony who are not revolved around only games, yet are releasing more quality games, well... atleast Microsoft is this time around...

LoganSix said:
esrbdistributions015.png

So, as the poster above nicely pointed out.
If you have been following Nintendo, you know that they don't produce a ton of Mature rated games compared to Sony and Microsoft.

Did you think the Wii was going to be different?

Gamecube was considered a failure when compared to PS2 and Xbox. But being a fan of Nintendo you shouldnt drop them because they have a bad season. Just like if your a fan of football you dont drop your team for having a bad year.

I do however do agree with someone who said that games werent being developed on Wii because it wasnt believed that they would sell so much. So there could possibly be a big splurge of games in this coming 2008 year. Sorry I forgot who said it, but I agree with it.

T3kNi9e said:
Gamecube was considered a failure when compared to PS2 and Xbox. But being a fan of Nintendo you shouldnt drop them because they have a bad season. Just like if your a fan of football you dont drop your team for having a bad year.

I do however do agree with someone who said that games werent being developed on Wii because it wasnt believed that they would sell so much. So there could possibly be a big splurge of games in this coming 2008 year. Sorry I forgot who said it, but I agree with it.

I've said it twice in this thread (I think it was this thread). Everyone that is complaining about good games for the Wii need to hold on for a little while. The length of time to develop a good game is >1 year. That's right 1 year, and after the first shocking year that the Wii had, most developers may have started to develop games for the Wii this summer, that means next christmas will be the start of good quality games coming out for the Wii.

T3kNi9e said:
You also didnt pay attention to my post. Im not hating Nintendo games, I love there games. Those are the games I give thumbs up to. Im talking about 3rd-party games. Which btw, I dont expect Wii to have alot of hits in its first year from 3RD-PARTY GAMES. But I do atleast expect some decent games from 3RD-PARTY DEVELOPERS.

Let me break down the definitions

1st-Party Games - Games made by Nintendo for Wii. Example: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twlight Princess, Mario Charged Strikers, etc.
2nd-Party Games - Games made exclusively for Wii, but not made by Nintendo. Example: Resident Evil: UC, Ghost Squad, Nights: Journey of Dreams*, Medal of Honor Heros 2, etc.
3rd-Party Games - Games not made for any specific console and are usually multiplatformers. Example: Call of Duty, Madden, NBA Live, Resident Evil, Assasins Creed, Guitar Hero, etc.

Do you understand now? Im talking about 3rd-Party crap games that are released on Wii and lack thereof 3rd-Party games. I want Wii to sent higher standard being they are a Game company unlike Microsoft+Sony who are not revolved around only games, yet are releasing more quality games, well... atleast Microsoft is this time around...

No actually I read your post just fine.
You were talking about 3rd party support yes I understand that, and I applaud your attempt at being impressive on the internet, but I know the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd party. Thanks anyways.

If you looked at what I quoted and reread what you said about the article you posted up, you would have noticed that you were also talking about casual and hardcore games, which I talked about in my post. Seems to me I read your post just fine.

I am sure you know what casual and hardcore means, so you don't need me teaching you about those. Maybe just refer back to where you got your vast knowledge about 1st, 2nd and 3rd part support, I am sure it will be in there somewhere.

I would have acknowledge your post of the 3rd party support or lack there of with Nintendo but I did that 4 or 5 pages ago in this thread, so instead I was referring to your casual and hardcore games post about what the Wii offers in both categories and what not.

T3kNi9e said:
You're naming NINTENDO games, Which I clearly said, most all of NINTENDO games are GOOD. I said 3rd-Part games are the ones that suck. The only problem I have with Nintendo is the direction they're going with there 3rd-party games. Believe it or not Nintendo does have a say in which games are released on their system. A stupid game like Carnival Games, Bleach: Shattered Blade, Double Dribble, Anubis II, etc. Instead of putting money into helping these shitty developers they should probably invest more money within Nintendo to possibly make new franchises within Nintendo, or make more QUALITY spin-offs. Or, using the money into getting some contracts with good developers and asking them to work hard on making GOOD games for them. Nintendo itself is doing a great job in making games for people. So dont act as if im acting there games, because there games are the best on Wii.
So you are saying that Nintendo should go back to the third party system that they used for the Gamecube? If Nintendo put more restrictions back in force it is more likely to turn developers away.

You almost make it sound like it is Nintendo that makes third party games or pays third parties to make them. Usually it is the other way round (especially on Nintendo systems), the developer pays Nintendo to release a game on their system.

Nintendo does not make third party games, at most they may lend a hand (Sega's Mario & Sonic for example). Third party developers make third party games, thats why they are third party so stop blaming Nintendo for them. Would you blame Sony for a bad third party game on one of their systems?

If you stop all small developers then you are stiffling possible new talent. Not every developer starts out the size of Ubisoft, Activision or EA, they do not have the resources that these big developers have either but maybe one day they will have a suprise hit that launches them.

Much of the stuff released by third party (especially smaller developers) is simply shovelware. A huge amount of shovelware did not do the PS2 any harm though. You just dont buy the game if you think its poor, if you do buy them then its your own fault as nobody forced you to.

I think that the Wii is all about giving more chances to smaller developers, isnt that partly the reason why we have WiiWare games coming soon?

I agree with what Raisinghelen says. Nintendo's not in a position to be dictating to 3rd parties what they can and can't do when they can easily just run over to the 360 and forget about the Wii. The fact is that crap games will always be made no matter what restrictions are in place so it's useless to complain about them; just don't buy them and move on.

Also, 2nd party games are those published by the 1st party but developed by an outside party. Disaster: DoC is an example of a 2nd party game. Just because a 3rd party game is exclusive doesn't mean that it's a 2nd party game. Zach and Wiki is a 3rd party game even though it's made with the Wii in mind because Nintendo didn't publish the game.

CantGetAWii: Yes, but you're talking about the games Nintendo puts out. There games are fine. Im talking about the fact that Nintendo is putting out too many casual 3rd-Party games, not 1st-Party.

Raising: Im saying when developers put out games that are crap. Nintendo should say no. Or even if Nintendo pays developers or vice versa, Nintendo still decides, either its Nintendo needs to stop paying for crap games, or Nintendo needs to say no to when developers try to pay nintendo to put out crap games.

For example Take 2, put out two of Xbox's best games, Oblivion and Bioshock, especially Bioshock. So im assuming they know wtf they're doing when it comes to developing great games. But do you know what Take 2 released on Wii? God damn Carnival Games. Thats fine if you want to appeal to the casual audience, but enough is enough when almost all 3rd party games are casual or for kids. I personally would be offended if I were Nintendo if you have a great company like Take 2 develop Carnival games when they are capable of sooo much better.

You also point out how some companies arent as rich as Ubisoft, Activision and EA. Activision sucks overall IMO, atleast for my taste, they're mostly casual lately.

But lets look at what EA and Ubisoft has put out (remember, they're rich)
First lets look at EA, besides the sports games which they usually port over to all consoles because everyone knows EA are money grubbing fiends.

EA Xbox 360:
Medal of Honor Airborne
The Orange Box
Rockband
Skate
Mercernaries 2 (Coming soon)
Army of 2 (Coming soon)

Okay, those are just a few, there's like 8 pages of games (including sports)

EA PS3:
The Orange Box
Skate
Rockband
Mercenaries 2
Nascar 08 (Nintendo no longer gets Nascar, P.S. My dad hates that)

Also thats just a few, only 4 pages but still more than Wii

EA Wii:
Medal of Honor Heros 2 (Thank you EA for this one)
The Sims 2
EA Playground
Smarty Pants
My Sims
Boogie
SSX Blur
Harry Potter

As you can see the list for Wii because a whole lot more casual. Not only this, but if you check reviews for these games, they are drastically lower than the competitors, the biggest problem is bad controls. 3rd Party developers seem to lack the intelligence to use the controls good on there games. I was also able to add every nonsport/ported game on the Wii list because it was only 3 pages and almost all were sports.

Ubisoft's Turn!

Ubisoft Xbox 360/PS3:
Assassins Creed
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Beowulf (This game sucked though)
Blazing Angels 2
Rainbow Six Las Vegas
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare 2

Those are just a few

Ubisoft Wii:
Nitrobike
My Word Coach
Cosmic Family
Prince of Persia (better)
Blazing Angels (also better, but no #2)
Red Steel (Bad reviews, though some like it)
Petz Dogz, Horsez, and Catz (Yea okay lol)

Long post I know :)
Btw, im not trying to argue with anyone, im not pissed at anyone, I just find a certain entertainment in friendly debating.

Back