Wii on a HDTV somewhat a dissapointment

pluto2

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Hi folks!

I've been playing my wii on an old CRT tv for over a year, finally I bought a new LCD TV and had high expectations of how good it would look with component cables. It wasn't quite like that. I know the wii can't output anything higher than 480p but I was still kind of disappointed. The picture really looks upscaled, I can really tell, edges and lines etc looks "pixelized" (not smooth).

What are your experiences here of the Wii on a LCD TV? I guess that the result could differ abit regarding how well the TV smoothes out the lower resolution but I have a hard time seeing how it would look perfect on any LCD. Mine is a Sony bravia 32". What are your experiences? I was like :yikes: when I first realized how bad it looked. It certainly looks better on a CRT in regard to edges, that's for sure.

Kristian

I just got my Wii yesterday and was pretty shocked to see the "jaggies" and pixelation on my 42" Sharp Aquos. I have been playing XBOX 360 for about a year now and am used to the high definition graphics that is sends at 1080i to my LCD. I knew that the Wii was not an HD machine - but I wasn't expecting graphics to be this choppy. Obviously, I will learn to deal with it since the gameplay is so much fun. However, I am still disappointed in the graphics for this console. Even Super Mario Galaxy is pretty bad on my tv :shocked:

I'm using a 26" Widescreen Sony Bravia LCD TV equipped with HD. Here's what I say when it comes to the Wii and TVs: "The smaller the screen, the better." You see, on a smaller screen (ans since the Wii can't output 480p), everything looks condensed and as you say, the edges are smoother, you are completely correct. My friend has a huge 50" HDTV and a Wii...look horrible. On my 26" TV, it looks a lot better.

That's what I've heard from several sources now so I guess that's just the way it is, but if it's this bad, I'm even more surprised why nintendo didn't care about higher resolution graphics, I mean, a year or 2 from now, most will have a HD tv, and this won't play well with the wii.

Don't get me wrong, the wii is still fun as hell to play, and it doesn't look completelly AWFUL, but it sure as heck isn't something you call "good".

well at least I'm glad I didn't buy a 37 incher or even worse, a 42, I would have needed a soccer field between the tv and me to be able to play :p

Sorry guys, I think it is your TVs. I have a 46 inch Sony Bravia and the Wii looks beautiful on it. Yes, some games have jaggies, but those are the ones that didn't put much into graphics (Tiger Woods, Wii Sports). I just put it on 480i for those games.

What are your experiences here of the Wii on a LCD TV? I guess that the result could differ abit regarding how well the TV smoothes out the lower resolution but I have a hard time seeing how it would look perfect on any LCD. Mine is a Sony bravia 32". What are your experiences? I was like when I first realized how bad it looked. It certainly looks better on a CRT in regard to edges, that's for sure.

Yeah agreed, thats why I only use the CRT TV for the Wii and PS3 + 360 on my LCD TV. Hate looking at the jaggies :(

I got my Wii on 2007 Christmas, and I'v had an LCD tv since 2006 Chirstmas, I find the graphics are fine on my tv, Samsung LCD 32 inch.

There are plenty of post on the same subject look them up on the ways to fix it... It is your t.v's upconverter and not the Wiis fault...

Granted the Wii isnt going to be as breath taking as a True HD content but if it looks straight up bad like something is wrong its your T.V.!

And if the Wii looks bad on your T.V. then all the T.V. channels that are not HD would look even worse! Look into different settings and better upconverters/scalers to fix this issue...

If the Wii doesn't look good, then 90% of everything else you watch on the same t.v. isn't going to look good, and unless you use the t.v. soley for Gaming I would be more upset about all the bad channels that then anything.
Do your reseach next time you buy a t.v. and check it out. HDTV is not the current standard, its a future standard with little saturation of the market so far.

Buying an HDTV thats only good showing HD content is a bad idea, your gonna have to pay to fix it or wait a good 10-15 years to be 100% happy with it. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I have a 42 inch smasung DLP displays like a dream! It does have extra tech in it to smooth stuff out yet it still has all the details. I'd never go with an straight up LCD unless I need to do graphics editing or unless the system actually out puts the native resolution. Welcome to HD my friends!

i have a 73 inch HDTV and my Wii rocks on that Tv. it is not as good as looking out my window but nothing outside my window takes a Wiimote

kx5 said:
i have a 73 inch HDTV and my Wii rocks on that Tv. it is not as good as looking out my window but nothing outside my window takes a Wiimote

:lol: :lol: :lol: Im sure the neighbor lady would get sick of you making her jump and kick anyways..

Apple Guy said:
I have a 27" lcd hdtv and mines looks good
Maybe its your tv

Same with me, my wii looks perfect. I have a 32" lcd. Must be a matter of television type.

Back