Wii Updates

read the edit

also, its good for me because my wire can reach from one side of the room to me!

p.s. someone try a usb mouse!

bonodo said:
read the edit

also, its good for me because my wire can reach from one side of the room to me!

p.s. someone try a usb mouse!

Good to know it works then. I tyred a mouse, but could not get any channel including the settings, and wii menu, to recognize it.

morikaweb said:
Good to know it works then. I tyred a mouse, but could not get any channel including the settings, and wii menu, to recognize it.
oh well! least it works

EVERYONE WITH USB KEYBOARD: press F4 to turn t-9 input on/off

this Works so well!! why did they not mention this? BTW I was using a Mac usb keyboard and flawless.

T-9 is the bar that predicts the word you are trying to type to make writing faster. The drop down box just above the virtual keyboard

Last edited:
This is a big hidden thing and I'm surprised Nintendo wouldn't mention it. I mean, they had to know that people were going to figure it out, of course at the same time, they were probably hoping you would to help bring up the hype.

Everyone should check parental controls as well. I read over on infendo.com that there is a new entry to allow online user-to-user communication. Whether this is text or voice communication or both remains to be seen but I am beginning to wonder if this is part of what we'll see as the big September surprise.

Based on this update and the "hidden" things people are finding, the September update is going to be online communication related and will be useful in Mario Kart, among other games. This is update will also occur before Brawl is released, so we might be seeing some sort of communication in that game.

EDIT: Another thought. This might only mean that a text chat channel is coming.

paintba||er said:

How? All the modchip does is insert some code into what the DVD drive is sending to the Wii. It is pretty much undetectable and there isn't really much that can be done to stop them from functioning on existing Wiis.

You're not a programmer are you?

Neither of us know the real internal story of what the Wii firmware does and expects. Just about anything is possible.

The fact that Nintendo has added a warning to the update process should be an indication. Plus the fact that modded systems have been broken in the past by doing updates from disc from out-of-region discs shows that if the hardware doesn't match what the firmware is expecting, there is a potential for problems.

And like it or not, it's in Nintendo's best interest to keep mod chips from working. They've already made hardware changes to make them harder to install. Whow knows what software changes they may be working on.

paintba||er said:
How? All the modchip does is insert some code into what the DVD drive is sending to the Wii. It is pretty much undetectable and there isn't really much that can be done to stop them from functioning on existing Wiis.

Wiili explains it very well as well. click here

---

Also, maybe i'm getting ahead of myself, but if they added USB keyboard support, I hope it will eventually lead to external hard drive support.

Last edited:
mym6 said:
This is a big hidden thing and I'm surprised Nintendo wouldn't mention it. I mean, they had to know that people were going to figure it out, of course at the same time, they were probably hoping you would to help bring up the hype.

Everyone should check parental controls as well. I read over on infendo.com that there is a new entry to allow online user-to-user communication. Whether this is text or voice communication or both remains to be seen but I am beginning to wonder if this is part of what we'll see as the big September surprise.

Based on this update and the "hidden" things people are finding, the September update is going to be online communication related and will be useful in Mario Kart, among other games. This is update will also occur before Brawl is released, so we might be seeing some sort of communication in that game.

EDIT: Another thought. This might only mean that a text chat channel is coming.
A great thought. When he said 'a big surprise' I immediatley thought a channel (Check Mii Out/WiiWare) but I guess it isnt necessarily one. God I pray for voice chat. With text chat would you only be able to talk before/after the game (since you can't put down the controller). Also, on ds games when can you voicechat? Before, During and after the game, or only at certain times? This could give us a clue.

Nintendo is not going to mess with the modders until they start messing with the network. Once the modders start hacking, stealing, and doing other stuff to Nintendo's online network, they'll be targetted. I think the firmware updates will target modders in 2008. It will happen eventually.

Best Advice: "Don't mod stupid."

sagema said:
Best Advice: "Don't mod stupid."
what if hypothetically, someone with (coincidentally) the exact same name as me got told by his parents that his wii is getting modded by august 12th 2007 (coincidentally my birthday) and he can't talk them out of it

^Then (hypothetically) that person will get to play all the wii games he wants...until 2008, then he'll be out a wii.

Back