Windows Emulation.

boxxertrumps

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2007
Or any other operating system, really.

Ive decided that a Wii would make an okay Server, because it can access the internet and is really cheap.

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a Linux or Windows server installed on my Wii?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

as far as I know, that is not possible, but you can always use a PS2 or XBOX, if you're okay with last gen consoles

Why?

the thing is brand new, the wii, if you use it as a server or to run windows or some other OS its just going to bog it down. You can't possibly already be tired of your wii so much that you feel the need to frankenstein it do you? If so donate it to one of the many "Wiiless" individuals on this forum. :prrr:

LyricistSoldier said:
Why?

the thing is brand new, the wii, if you use it as a server or to run windows or some other OS its just going to bog it down. You can't possibly already be tired of your wii so much that you feel the need to frankenstein it do you? If so donate it to one of the many "Wiiless" individuals on this forum. :prrr:
Man I hate people that don't read, he said that he likes the small form factor vand needs a server, he put 2 and 2 together and thought about using the Wii as a server, if you ask me, that's not a bad idea, and with all the trouble I had with my server, a Wii would be a good replacement for even me if I could, it's better than a big huge tower taking up space, and instead of having to get a monitor for it, why not just use a close by television to manage a server? And the idea of using the Wiimote for a mouse/keyboard sounds very interesting to me, so don't act as if he is an idiot for wanting to turn a Wii into a server, i'm glad that somebody is even attempting such a feat

boxxertrumps, I hope you find what works for you and I hope your server comes out a success, don't mind people like LyricistSoldier, he just dosen't understand,:eek:ut:I really like the idea myself:D

boxxertrumps said:
Or any other operating system, really.

Ive decided that a Wii would make an okay Server, because it can access the internet and is really cheap.

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a Linux or Windows server installed on my Wii?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa.

Go get a damn ps3 if you need a pc. . .thats all it is with a fancy dvd player.

im not too sure on this one, the criteria to be an 'okay server' seem to be too simplistic thoughts.

a server for what by the way? and remember currently you are quite limited by the available storage space on a wii, even with an additional SD card, which i think would be quite unstable to use for an OS as it is on a wii.

if it being small and able to access the internet are your only requests, then build yourself an ITX system. would have roughly the same footprint as a wii, and could easily be made more powerful/resourceful...

In theory you could use this by running the gamecube linux on it in much the same way you run gamecube homebrew on a wii. However, I can't imagine how you'd be able to store files on it, possibly one day through external hard drives and the usb port, but right now, it would most likely be an adequate server, with no storage capacity.

LyricistSoldier said:
WTF. First off he said nothing about liking the small form factor. So stop pullin crap outta your :ciappa: Secondly I did read, that is how I got to wondering why he would want to use a brand new gaming machine as a server, i'd assume you'd play games with it. Thrid i didnt say anything about him being an idiot, that was you :eek:ut: . Fourth using the wiimote as a mouse/keyboard... you should already be doing that on the opera trial. Lastly, I understood all there is to understand. He didnt ever say what he would use the Wiiserver for, but in basic logic, the wii would be a horrible server due to its lack of memory and the need to build your own software protocol to run it.

So quit naming me off as some troll... your the ass. Comin in here all PMS. gamechaser001 pull your tampon out and stop actin a b*tch. It'd be one thing to yell at me if i actually did call him an idiot or didnt read his post, but i did, and your sh*t is uncalled for. Get out. :incazzato:
First I want to start of with the idiotic comment you made on the bottom of your post, let's find some key words here

-PMS
-Tampon
-b*tch

what do they all have in common? Female terms perhaps? And the funny thing is you are using female insults aginst a male, that is to say, I am not a woman, I am a man, and you shouldn't even type anything gender specific UNLESS you know the person's gender, my brother is smarter than that, HE'S 8

Now to the main part of the topic, ok, so...
First off he said nothing about liking the small form factor.
you're right about the fact that he did not say that directly, he said that indirectly, what he said was "I think the Wii would make a OK server", well, what ways make it ok to be good server? You already ruled out the first reason, the storage onboard isn't even compatible for an OS like Windows, Linux? Perhaps, they have made a port of linux for almost every recient console so far, not all, but there are consoles that do, like for example, the XBOX can run MAC OS X and Linux (don't tell me i'm wrong, I saw it work) and the PS2 had a linux kit, I think they stopped selling it though, and they even came out with linux for the iPod, called podzilla, look it up, the Wii? I'm not sure, and I even said in my first post in this thread, I even said that it might not be possible on the Wii, and yes, I did say that, if you don't believe me, scroll up

Secondly I did read, that is how I got to wondering why he would want to use a brand new gaming machine as a server
That is his choice, not yours, and maybe he might already have a Wii to play games on and he just want's to buy one to use as a server, that is beside the point, point is he wants to use the Wii as a server, I think all he wants to hear is if it is possible or not, and if it is, how to set it up

Fourth using the wiimote as a mouse/keyboard... you should already be doing that on the opera trial.
And? Did I say anything about going online with it? No, I just thought it would be interesting

He didnt ever say what he would use the Wiiserver for, but in basic logic, the wii would be a horrible server due to its lack of memory and the need to build your own software protocol to run it.
And I even said that it might not be possible, didn't I? (I know I did, don't say otherwise), and I gave alternatives, like the XBOX and the PS2, I think that the XBOX will be a perfect canadate because I know for a fact that MAC OS X and Linux, and maybe even windows can run on the XBOX, and the PS2 might also work, because I know for a fact that the PS2 has a Linux kit, I almost bought it once, but then decided not to, and I don't know what the server will be used for neither, but since he wants windows or linux, it could be a user login server, a storage server (ties into a login server though), a web server, a telnet server, a DHCP server, or many other kinds of servers, or it could be a multi-server, but since he wants an OS on it, I doubt it would be anything related to games

I don't really want to argue about this topic, but you are making it hard not to

Seeing as how this is about window em's, would it be possible to convert a .exe file to work with a Wii?

I want to try and get MSN to run on it, plus some other things I want to try to make some programs run, such Free Nintendo-Classic games, I have a couple that I coded to use mouse from SNES, Such as Super Mario Bros. With some other coding I could make some pretty Sweet programs, and For USB Keybaords cna create a third-party software program in C++(hopefully) and VB... If you understand that.

LyricistSoldier said:
u cant get eggs without chickens:)
You Can get them From Lizards.

and i Dont actually have A Wii.
When i Said "My Wii" I Meant "my Future Wii"
Sorry for misleading you guys.

and Assuming That it has Storage, you can Get A simple driver for a usb storage device, or a keyboard. Also, the Wii is fun, If I had One id wait For someone Else To Create A Stable Hack. And this is only A theoretical thing so Far.

and my Comp Cost 600$ and im using it as a server, i just thought that 300$(250+USB HDD)would be a steal for serving up HTML.

Back