Abstinence. Your views?

Well I believe it is up to each person to make their own decision on this subject, but I will say I've seen both sides to this discussion personally, I have a good friend who has been having sex since she was 14, and then I have two friends that waited until they got married, granted they got married at 20, that is still longer than a lot of kids/adults nowadays.

I support both sides, because I do not believe one solution answers everyones questions/problems. Hence the reason the are hundreds upon hundreds of different religions out there that have their own answers to each person's inner problems.

I don't believe marriage is sacred, so personally I think abstinence is overrated. As long as both people are consenting and are sufficiently mature enough to understand what they're doing, why shouldn't they have sex?

Brawny said:
Wow, don't need a school program for it....but yes, I agree...makes everything so much simpler. You don't have to worry about:

Teen pregnancy (and abortion)
STD's
AIDS (yes, it deserves its own point)
Emotional devastation (be it kids, break-ups..w/e)

Edit @ frummage: because itchy genitals is THE best feeling evarrrr111one!!!!1111!11111

That's why contraception is what schools should be teaching, not abstinence

samXcor3 said:
there is no reason same sex couples should not be allowed to marry. politically. catholically, i understand BECAUSE listen close, the church doesnt hate gay people for being gay, it disapproves because same-sex intercourse is not for procreation and any intercourse NOT for procreation is wrong in the eyes of the church. so!
same sex intercourse=heterosexual intercourse+conraceptives

;)

Ah, but that is slightly incorrect.

Intercourse is also for pleasure as well....in the right boundaries. Being homosexual is "unnatural", and gays and lesbians are strongly urged to be chaste. Some Christians have taken this idea to mean that we should ridicule them, while I would argue that they have one of the hardest callings, and we should be praying for them ten-fold.

(note, this is Reformed Christianity, NOT ALL religious beliefs...)

Edit

That's why contraception is what schools should be teaching, not abstinence

But contraception, especially pills/creams/diaphragm do not do anything for the disease part of my argument. Actually getting a girl pregnant is the LEAST likely of all the outcomes of intercourse. Only like 3 days a month..

Also, just teaching it does absolutely nothing... Kids need to hear it. Then we get back to parents jobs of teaching moralities, then we get to the idiots of the world......gawd I hate them so much.

Last edited:
Napalmbrain said:
I don't believe marriage is sacred, so personally I think abstinence is overrated. As long as both people are consenting and are sufficiently mature enough to understand what they're doing, why shouldn't they have sex?

Wouldn't the world be such a nice place if everyone could be this way? :lol:

And sorry for the double....editing won't load at the moment.

Yes that dog is unnatural :p

Anyways 3 pages and I don't feel like reading every damn post on this.

I for one choose Abstinence > bla bla bla. I'd feel too guilty to break my long run of abstinence until I'm married (Yes I'm catholic, go figure) But it's not because I'm catholic that I believe abstinence is the way to go (Although it did help choose when the time is right) , I just simply choose that because, I'll quote Brawny on this,

because itchy genitals is THE best feeling evarrrr111one!!!!1111!11111

... Yeah, I'd rather not.

Of course its up for discussion. But I personally want to wait til I am married, out of beliefs, and also because I personally do not want to compare the sex with my wife with another woman. Of course the sex is going to be fairly 'clumsy', compared to if I had years of experience before hand, but I am willing to wait to share such an intimate connection with someone else and 'learn' together, who I can hopefully have as my wife for the rest of my life (not always going to be the case, but its what you aim towards).
I can see where the 'try before you buy' type argument comes from, but the short-term complications that CAN arise from that sort of a scenario, and the inherent long-term issuse that MAY also arise from having sex with multiple partners are not something I am willing to take a gamble on, and I am happy to wait for that 'right person' when it comes to sex.
It is a hard choice to make, but one I am willing to stand by, especialy after seeing some of my mates ruin good friendships with certain girls from one night stands.
Then theres the possibility of contracting an STD or to a further extent AIDS. In my current circumstances I'm willing to wait, despite the constant pressure and temptation, I am 19 after all....

@ celeste, which is why I put it in quotes.

@ wuddlepook....yay...

@ deanis, great way to put it! Good luck on keeping it that way. haha

Last edited:
I for one do not believe in abstinence. Of course, everyone has their own beliefs and thoughts, but I think that sex shouldn't just be about connecting with someone or sharing an intimate feeling with someone. Sex is also about enjoyment, satisfaction, and excitement. There might be risks, but they are greatly minimised with simple precautions, e.g. wearing a condom, not sleeping around with just anyone, and mainly just using common sense! You don't need multiple partners to enjoy sex. My girlfriend and I enjoy regular sex, sure sometimes it's intimate, but sometimes it's simply enjoying ourselves and pleasuring each other.

Of course, you should only engage in sex when you're ready (and your partner!) and educated enough about what you're going to do (not like techniques or anything, I mean understanding possible risks, knowing to use a condom, etc). Too many people rush it in my opinion.

wow i've never realised so many people still believed in abstinence, I only had two friends (in grade 8!) that believed in abstinence...they're not virgins anymore(they're also not married)

oh wait, sorry i forgot about my muslim and asain friends......half of them believe in it........but culturally i thought most canadians/americans didn't believe in it....

To those that believe in it, would you date/marry a non-virgin? I mean if you've met the perfect girl, the only thing wrong with her is that she had sex.....would you not marry her just because of that? Seems kinda close-minded/ignorent.

mushroomedmario said:
To those that believe in it, would you date/marry a non-virgin? I mean if you've met the perfect girl, the only thing wrong with her is that she had sex.....would you not marry her just because of that? Seems kinda close-minded/ignorent.

Abstinence can be viewed two different ways.

Self-wise and society-wise.

If you go for self-wise, it won't matter if the other has had sex before marriage; only that you don't.

Society-wise, you will only go with abstinent peoples.

Kinda like video games.

Self:
Joe likes FPS games the most, but will play other genres, also.

Society:
Joe likes FPS games, and will play ONLY FPS games.

Personally, I'd prefer to marry an abstinent girl.
But If I do fall in love with a non-abstinent girl, then so be it. She'll just have to remember I'm not gonna do the do, until I say "I do."

Back