Tripping...? o.o

Damascus

Chaka Chaka Pata Pon!
Aug 4, 2007
Somewhere... over the rainbow... (actually, New Je
Wii Online Code
8439-4149-2660-5864
Now, I get extremely pissed off when I'm in a middle of a good combo and all of a sudden, I trip. I'm confused, too... I don't seea banana peel anywhere... I asked my friend if he ever tripped and he replied, "only from banana peels"...

So can anyone tell me what exactly causes a character to randomly trip? I use Lucas (duh) by the way.

But it can't be character because I just saw a CPU Link trip!

Seriously, what the heck? :sick:

It's hard to see but some of the feet swipe moves will give the tripping effect.
If it's acctually a program error I haven't ran into it yet. Is it on s specific level or anything?

wezeles said:
It's hard to see but some of the feet swipe moves will give the tripping effect.
If it's acctually a program error I haven't ran into it yet. Is it on s specific level or anything?
Nope. All levels. Including the practice stage for online play (w00t, my friend lives next door, so I have no lag :lol: ).

Feet swipe?! Sandbag can do Feet Swipes?! :lol:

Most my trips happen when I'm just running... and then I just trip. Then the CPU runs up, charges that cheap Up Smash, and kills me (and I lose the game :mad5: ).

its not attack related. i think it has to do with trying to run then again im not even sure about that. i try to make it happen while im on the practice screen waiting for an online match. amazingly enough....anyone/anything can trip.

Lugia said:
its not attack related. i think it has to do with trying to run then again im not even sure about that. i try to make it happen while im on the practice seen waiting for an online match. amazingly enough....anyone/anything can trip.
Running and then immideately running again?

I'll have to test that out...

If it's true, why would Nintendo implement such a thing?

extra randomness? too bad it seems like "tripping" isnt something you can turn off. HAHAHA

Lugia said:
extra randomness? too bad it seems like "tripping" isnt something you can turn off. HAHAHA
Not really random if I keep seeing CPU's not tripping (I mean lvl 9's. They NEVER TRIP!!!).

Maybe it has to do with how many points you have... then the higher the # of points, the greater the chance to trip?

one of lucas's taunts is falling on the ground for a moment than looking around, and standing back up.

Maby u get so into your combo and dont even relize that u tap the taunt button

didn't the dojo mention tripping in a prior update?

i think it was done just to add some "luck" into the game. that way, newbies will at least stand a chance against veteran players.

but yeah, i believe it does have something to do with running (ie running from a dead stop will probably result in a trip, as well as sharp turns)

I play primarily as Kirby, and I trip a lot. It's extremely annoying. I haven't really noticed it happening when I play as other characters. I don't think I've ever tripped with R.O.B. or Sonic.

Tripping is random and happens anytime you run and stuff. It's not an error or anything. No one knows why Nintendo put it in there but people speculate that it was to promote more air fights

Last edited:
no its actually proven to being random. it happens most often when trying to dash dance or when stopping your run. it also is more likely to occur the higher damage you have

There is talk about it not being random at all. I don't know the specifics but it's being said to happen at moments when your character is moving in an "awkward" way.
Like spiff said, this happens a lot when you are stopping your run, attempting to dash-dance, or when you get right up from the ground and try to run or attack.
I found a more in depth discussion about this on Smash Boards. You can go ahead and search for it as I don't remember the link.

perhaps tripping was put in for a reason other than a random effect? If anyone found out a spamable ground technique in brawl such as dash dancing in melee, tripping would counter the techniques making it useless.

i also find the tripping very annoying, and it does feel like it happens when i'm trying to dash-dance, stop suddenly, attack suddenly, or simply just moving the character too quickly in some instances where, the character probably just goes huh? hah oh well if there is a fix, please post somewhere.

Back