Back to School

Lewi T said:
Would someone please explain what the process of schooling is in the States? Because I don't really get it, like how old you are in each year, and with choosing classes? In return, here is how the English system works...

Primary School (Compulsary)
-Reception (Ages 4-5)
-Year 1 (Ages 5-6)
-Year 2 (Ages 6-7) --> SATs
-Year 3 (Ages 7-8)
-Year 4 (Ages 8-9)
-Year 5 (Ages 9-10)
-Year 6 (Ages 10-11) --> SATs

Secondary School (Compulsary)
-Year 7 (Ages 11-12)
-Year 8 (Ages 12-13)
-Year 9 (Ages 13-14) --> SATs
-Year 10 (Ages 14-15) --> Choose GCSE 'options', i.e. 10/11 subjects: Math, English (Lit + Lang), Science (Combined or Seperate) compulsary.
-Year 11 (Ages 15-16) --> GCSE exams in May

You can now leave school and get a job, an apprentiship, or continue onto higher education (below).

6th Form College (Acceptance dependent on GCSE grades, often 5 A-Cs (A-C in Math, English and Science required, can resit if failed)...choose 3/4 subjects to study)
-Year 12 (or 'Lower 6th', ages 16-17) --> Exams in January (can be retaken in June) and exams in June (can be retaken in January of Year 13). Passes (A-E) are required to carry on into Year 13. Can drop the 4th subject if you want
-Year 13 (or 'Upper 6th', ages 17-18) --> Exams in January (can be retaken in June) and exams in June

You can now do what you like - get a job, an apprentiship, or go to University (depending on whether you get the 6th Form grades required by the University to take the course you desire).

I think that's everything!
we have grades k-12, and it doesnt go by age really, but most kids are age 5 entering kindergarden or pre-k(or reception where you are) and graduate from school around age 17-18, some kids however fail there grade levels and dont graduate till there 19-20, in 7th grade, a kid in my health class was 17, but after high school, we can choose to go to higher education, aka college

Primary School
-Kindergarden (Ages 5-6)
-Grade 1 (Ages 6-7)
-Grade 2 (Ages 7-8)
-Grade 3 (Ages 8-9)
-Grade 4 (Ages 9-10)
-Grade 5 (Ages 10-11)
-Grade 6 (Ages 11-12)

Middle School (Junior High, Sometimes it includes 6th grade as well)
-Grade 7 (Ages 12-13)
-Grade 8 (Ages 13-14)

High School
-Grade 9 (Ages 14-15)
-Grade 10 (Ages 15-16)
-Grade 11 (Ages 16-17)
-Grade 12 (Ages 17-18)

Thats a general scheme of things. Age varys though because parents can start their kids early or later and like steeler said we have morons in america who fail grades.

I am going to be a high school senior. Its scary my last year the i must venture in to the real world. I start aug 27

Thankyou steelersfatboy and flower.^ :thumbsup: so what's with the whole picking classes thing? When do you get to do that? And what's it all about? Sorry about all the questions, just enhancing my worldwide knowledge :)

Through primary school (elemenary school) you don't pick classes they teach you everything science history math all that stuff. In middle school through high school you continue to take those same general subjects, but they become more specific, algebra geomerty calc, biology physics chemisty. Then there are also a ton of electives for schools, welding shop journalism yearbook fasion graphic design programming drama. You choose classes every semester (2 semester in a school year). You also need a certain required classes to graduate so usually you take like 4 or 5 core classes, alegbra biology world history english and then an elective or two.

in UK, can you get detention and supspended or somthing like that? in my school, you can get out of school suspension (OSS as we call in my school) for something as simple as talking too loud, you get one day out if the teacher thinks your voice tone is "innapropriate"

Well in my Secondary School, there were 3 types of detentions (I'm not sure all schools have this). First there's just a normal detention for things like no homework, misbehaving, etc, and that's a 20 minute detention after school or at lunch with the teacher who gave it to you. Then there's a House detention, which is for worse things, say a bit of fighting, or failing to turn up to a detention, and that is 30-40 minutes after school or at lunch with your Head of House, and it goes on your records. Then there's a School detention, which is obviously for even worse things, and that is 40-60 minutes with the Head of Year or Deputy Head Teacher. It doesn't have tp be those teachers, but generally is, just as long as you serve your time.

As for being suspended (or excluded if you like), you can be suspended for a day, two days, a week, anything, depends on what you did, usually quite bad things though...it means you're not in school for the amount of your suspention though, or sometimes, say a day suspention, you spend it in school doing sh*tty jobs all day. And then there's permanent exclusion, or being expelled, which obviously takes something very bad, and other schools in the area won't usually accept you if you've been expelled, so you have to go to a special school in my area called 'The Lynx', which accepts all the bad kids.

steelersfatboy said:
in UK, can you get detention and supspended or somthing like that? in my school, you can get out of school suspension (OSS as we call in my school) for something as simple as talking too loud, you get one day out if the teacher thinks your voice tone is "innapropriate"
LOL that reminds me of the time when two kids were kicking a bottle back and forth and it came over and hit my foot so I kicked it back to them. Right when I kicked it a teacher came around the corner and took me to the principal. They called my parents four times and almost suspended me for it. Then he told me to make up for it I had to go pick up this napkin that was in a pile of brown stuff or I had to sweep the entire school......then I got suspended for telling him to **** off........

And we don't have detention here, just suspension, (for most things) or if you do a bunch of little things that wouldn't be worth a suspension on their own then they send you to ISS (in school suspension) where you sit in a room by yourself with dividers around you so you can't see anything and do the work that you would normally do. There is expulsion too, but it is rarely used unless someone brings a gun or something.

o_o you got bollocked for kicking a bottle??? That is, I must say, pathetic! Man that's strict! We used to have water fights and snowball fights in our common room, and they'd only lock it for like a day, but nothing would actually happen to us. Although I nearly got expelled because some gay pr*ck snitched on me and a few mates because, right, in our common room we had a food machine, and 'boys being boys', with nothing better to do in our free periods, used to tip it upside down so everything fell out...well this hom snitched, an me and my mate got letters home, banned from the 6th Form block until the end of term, and possible expulsion...they didn't though, they wanted my A-Level grades for the school to look good :cool:

.....at my old school....if u get caught.....u go to a juvenile facility and stay there for over a week.......i don't want to do it again.....-_-

wario2ooo said:
.....at my old school....if u get caught.....u go to a juvenile facility and stay there for over a week.......i don't want to do it again.....-_-

I walked out of school once because a teacher didn't send me home and I was in the worst pain ever, then I came back in the next day with endometreosis (don't really have it, but my mum said I should use it because she does and she found it disgusting that they wouldn't send me home) and they've never hesitated to send me home again. :smilewinkgrin:

Back