Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Final Fantasy XIII no longer exclusive?

Discussion in 'Playstation Consoles' started by Rahnter, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Rahnter

Rahnter WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7177-5401-1319-4531
    7177-5401-1319-4531
    I hate being part of the rumor mill, but it seems FFXIII may no longer be a PS3 exclusive. I am not certain on the validity of this article, so I hope some one may be able to confirm or deny this claim.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

I have not come across any official statements on the loss of exclusivity or which of the three titles in the FFXIII project will be ported to other systems. So the probability of this being just a rumor is very high.

I would like to keep this thread PS3 hate-free, but feel free to discuss further news/rumors on which of the console/handhelds may be getting the FF series and the effects, if any, that it may have on the PS3.

#1 Rahnter, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. Celestial

Celestial WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3049-9371-2306-9680
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    Yea, there's gonna be 6 Final Fantasy Fabula Nova Crystallis', there's Final Fantasy XIII and Versus for Ps3, Agito for Mobile, Haeresis is unconfirmed, and the other's haven't been revealed yet. I heard something about Dissidia though, but it might just be a new game Square-enix will be making.

#2 Celestial, Apr 19, 2007
  3. briers07

briers07 WiiChat Member

ive heard rumours about that as well. it will have an impact of sales on the system if that happens.

4. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

well thats pretty big news, and if it were true, you would think it would be all over the place and on every major gaming website.

But its not. So that leaves only rumor. The article also says ff13 will appear on the wii... i love my wii but theres no way in hell ff13 would be able to run on it. The author is basically saying it will appear on every system out there, and thats just not true.

SO i would hold off on any sort of assumptions till real official announcements are made, IF they are made.

However, square enix does plan on bringing the final fantasy franchise to many consoles, but i dont believe its FF13. Nintendo has their crystal chronicals for example. Its a franchise within a franchise, which is what i see square doing. They are finally getting over the nintendo betrayal way back in the day.

5. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    It if goes from Sony, Then Bye Bye. Thats really the only Exclusive they have left xD

6. Shiftfallout

you really dont know much about the sony exclusive line up do you?

7. En4Neo

En4Neo Jet-Set-Jesse

He really doesn't.

I'm guessing if any form of FFXIII comes to the 360 it'll be the most likely second rate Versus game, which would be hardly a loss to Sony. IMO it's kind of like Dirge of Cerebus going to the Xbox, big deal it's no FF7.

8. Rahnter

Rahnter WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7177-5401-1319-4531
    7177-5401-1319-4531
    Celestial-
    Thanks for the correction on the # of titles.

Shift-
    I don't really have the time to check a lot of gaming news. I came across this article which sparked my interest and drew some doubts (hence the question mark in the title). But I reworded my original post to encompass the likelihood of this being just a rumor. However, after visiting the official Square-Enix website I was a bit confused by their vague description of the FFXIII project:

"An all new project comprising of multiple titles spanning multiple systems including the PLAYSTATION®3 system and mobile phones."

http://na.square-enix.com/e306/titles/fabula/

Also, in an interview from last month a Sony executive hints at the possibility of FFXIII no longer being exclusive to the PS3.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html

Has anything else been said about this?

Anyways, there doesn't appear to be any official word on whether FFXIII will not be a PS3 exclusive, but some of the other titles in the project may appear on other consoles.

#8 Rahnter, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

0000-0000-0000-0000
    I bet they lose 50% of them by the time they get released
    What I meant to say is that FFXIII is the BIG ONE. Like FF has really been for Sony only. This really is bad news for Sony

10. Shiftfallout

... dude, FF games have been on other systems for a long time. Even though square left nintendo after the whole nintendo-phillips incident, they still had FF games appear on nintendo systems. You know these as FF crystal chronicals, which were first seen on the game boy.

But FF is not the only big game. Theres a lot of games coming to the PS3 old and new franchises, some exclusive some not. Just check up on the list of exclusives, you will be suprised. Also wait till e3 07, your gonna be in for more suprises.

You are overexagerating a bit much though dont you think.

11. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Yeah suppose I am
    But I mean C'mon

Cronicles was crap [IMO]
    Tactics wasn't too good

7, 8, 9, 10 were the best [PS Games]

I know theres alot of exclusives, But everyone I know who owns a PS3 always talks about that game if you get me? Like it's such a big one.

12. Celestial

Celestial WiiChat Member

3049-9371-2306-9680
    Yea, Smurfy is right, FF and MGS are the 2 big exclusives for the Ps3... Somehow Shift is gonna disagree with that. If a Final Fantasy 13 comes out on the 360 or wii or whatever, it will be a loss to Sony, if it's one of the Crystal Chronicles sort of games, then it won't affect Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Thanks xD

14. MasterJedi2U

MasterJedi2U Banned

Wii Friend Code: 5251-2094-6508-9892
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    I agree with you Smurf if Final Fantasy is multiplatform thats a huge hit to sony. It won't destroy them but still its pretty significant. And I wish Square Enix would just go ahead and make a formal announcement either way so that the rumor mill can just quiet down. Right now I just have this gut feeling that the main Final Fantasy might appear on ALL 3 consoles but it will have different names...sorta like The GodFather and how it has different names for the Wii and the p$3 right? But thats just a theory. I'd love to have Final Fantasy on the Wii since I'm not a big fan of Crystal Chronicles (although the next one does look a lil promising). The Wii is definitely capable of handling a FF game even if it has to come in several discs which I wouldn't mind. Anyways thats just my opinion. We'll find out the truth though as the weeks roll thru so I can be patient.

P.S. Theres also news that sony has NO plans to drop the price of the p$3.

15. Shiftfallout

Of course im going to dissagree with that, those are not the only two big titles worth mentioning on the ps3. Its just that simple, they are great franchises. But to be honest, im looking forward to some other games more, which is hard to believe.

I actually wouldnt mind FF13 going to the 360 and PC. Its a great franchise and i would rather support Square Soft.. (i hate calling them square enix) over nintendo, sony, or microsoft to be honest. Unfortunately, square soft has had many injustices done to them by nintendo in the past, and their relationship is a bit shakey. For Finaly Fantasy 13 and its successors, i can only believe the medium that supports the designer the most should be the best. What they do in the main FF branch is so cinematic, so amazing, that it requires not just the best hardware, but the best disc medium. Square has always pushed the boundaries, and I think they are trying to do so with FF13 on the PS3.

However, here is the catch. The main branch of Final Fantasy games are very very high budget. There have been feature films made for much less. It is for this reason that GTA is also going Multiplatform. They make money off the games, and so they need to reach a wider audience.

However, I can say that Square and Sony right now are still good friends, and I believe Square has a lot of say with Sony, but the real question is, if sony can help support Square Soft in their making of FF13. This is whats being discussed right now. I also believe that when square soft and enix merged, the company had grown but also lost something important in the process.

So anyways, i got off track but the point is, there is more to the PS3 than just those titles and i can garantee Sony knows what would happen if FF13 went multiplatform. If they let it happen then they have other plans, whether we as the consumer agree with it or not. If the game is multiplatform, big IF, then i can also say that the game will be different between the 360 and the PS3.

One last note, it is more expensive to have multipul dvds over 1 blue ray. Just a heads up.

16. Celestial

Celestial WiiChat Member

3049-9371-2306-9680
    What other big exclusives do they have?

17. Shiftfallout

sony has quite a few good franchises in fact, many of them you remember from the ps2.

as for big exclusives currently:

I would say LAIR is a big one. It is a new franchise and I am looking forward to it. Then theres White Knight Story, L.A Noir, Heavenly Sword, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank, Warkhawk, Killzone.

Dont forget Eye of Judgement, the first game to use REAL game cards and use a camera device to recognize them and play them in the game itself.

Then theres Singstar PS3 and Ninja Gaiden. And we cant forget about Gran Turismo.

No theres quite a bit more than just two game franchises. Sony has some new and old ones lined up. Not to mention, quite a few that will be revealed as they get closer to the finish line in terms of developement.

18. Celestial

Celestial WiiChat Member

3049-9371-2306-9680
    I meant the best selling big exclusives, which are probably MGS FF and GT... forgot about that. Probably God of War too, but it hasn't been out as long as FF, MGS and GT.

19. En4Neo

En4Neo Jet-Set-Jesse

You can't forget the new Naughty Dog game, the makers of Jak and Daxter, they're a company exclusive to Sony consoles. Also Team ICO, the makers of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are on Ps3's side. Lastly there's Incognito, the makers of Twisted Metal. There's also word that Namco Bandai is making ps3 exclusive games with a new company of theirs.

As far as things stand though MGS4 and the main FFXIII are still exclusives.

Oh yeah and Tekken seems to be a Ps3 exclusive.

#19 En4Neo, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  20. Shiftfallout

exactly. People refuse to be realistic about the PS3, you dont have to support it, but be honest.

MGS4 is going to stay exclusive too because the creator (always forget how to spell his name..koji somethng) said the other systems are incapable of running the game the way he intends it, which is very cinematic.

As for FF13, it cant run on the Wii. It might be able to run on the 360 depending on how the game is made, but chances are they will be using a lot of space via blue ray. The cell processing allows a lot more to go on in any one given moment so its really up to Square. My feelings are though, that it will stay exclusive as well. Everything else is just rumors and naysaying. Theres a lot of sony hate, mainly because the system cost too much for most people. They tend to hate what they either cant afford or refuse to buy based on price.

Hobbies can be expensive, i think gaming as a hobbie is no different. You get what you pay for.