Final Fantasy XIII no longer exclusive?

Rahnter

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta
Wii Online Code
7177-5401-1319-4531
I hate being part of the rumor mill, but it seems FFXIII may no longer be a PS3 exclusive. I am not certain on the validity of this article, so I hope some one may be able to confirm or deny this claim.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

I have not come across any official statements on the loss of exclusivity or which of the three titles in the FFXIII project will be ported to other systems. So the probability of this being just a rumor is very high.

I would like to keep this thread PS3 hate-free, but feel free to discuss further news/rumors on which of the console/handhelds may be getting the FF series and the effects, if any, that it may have on the PS3.

Last edited:
Yea, there's gonna be 6 Final Fantasy Fabula Nova Crystallis', there's Final Fantasy XIII and Versus for Ps3, Agito for Mobile, Haeresis is unconfirmed, and the other's haven't been revealed yet. I heard something about Dissidia though, but it might just be a new game Square-enix will be making.

Last edited:
ive heard rumours about that as well. it will have an impact of sales on the system if that happens.

Rahnter said:
I hate being part of the rumor mill, but it appears as if FFXIII is no longer a PS3 exclusive. I am not certain on the validity of this article, so I hope some one may be able to confirm or deny this claim.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

I would like to keep this thread PS3 hate-free, but feel free to discuss further news/rumors of which console may be getting the FF series.

well thats pretty big news, and if it were true, you would think it would be all over the place and on every major gaming website.

But its not. So that leaves only rumor. The article also says ff13 will appear on the wii... i love my wii but theres no way in hell ff13 would be able to run on it. The author is basically saying it will appear on every system out there, and thats just not true.

SO i would hold off on any sort of assumptions till real official announcements are made, IF they are made.

However, square enix does plan on bringing the final fantasy franchise to many consoles, but i dont believe its FF13. Nintendo has their crystal chronicals for example. Its a franchise within a franchise, which is what i see square doing. They are finally getting over the nintendo betrayal way back in the day.

Shiftfallout said:
you really dont know much about the sony exclusive line up do you?

He really doesn't.

I'm guessing if any form of FFXIII comes to the 360 it'll be the most likely second rate Versus game, which would be hardly a loss to Sony. IMO it's kind of like Dirge of Cerebus going to the Xbox, big deal it's no FF7.

Celestial-
Thanks for the correction on the # of titles.

Shift-
I don't really have the time to check a lot of gaming news. I came across this article which sparked my interest and drew some doubts (hence the question mark in the title). But I reworded my original post to encompass the likelihood of this being just a rumor. However, after visiting the official Square-Enix website I was a bit confused by their vague description of the FFXIII project:

"An all new project comprising of multiple titles spanning multiple systems including the PLAYSTATION®3 system and mobile phones."

http://na.square-enix.com/e306/titles/fabula/

Also, in an interview from last month a Sony executive hints at the possibility of FFXIII no longer being exclusive to the PS3.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html

Has anything else been said about this?

Anyways, there doesn't appear to be any official word on whether FFXIII will not be a PS3 exclusive, but some of the other titles in the project may appear on other consoles.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
you really dont know much about the sony exclusive line up do you?

I bet they lose 50% of them by the time they get released
What I meant to say is that FFXIII is the BIG ONE. Like FF has really been for Sony only. This really is bad news for Sony

Wii_Smurf said:
I bet they lose 50% of them by the time they get released
What I meant to say is that FFXIII is the BIG ONE. Like FF has really been for Sony only. This really is bad news for Sony

... dude, FF games have been on other systems for a long time. Even though square left nintendo after the whole nintendo-phillips incident, they still had FF games appear on nintendo systems. You know these as FF crystal chronicals, which were first seen on the game boy.

But FF is not the only big game. Theres a lot of games coming to the PS3 old and new franchises, some exclusive some not. Just check up on the list of exclusives, you will be suprised. Also wait till e3 07, your gonna be in for more suprises.

You are overexagerating a bit much though dont you think.

Yeah suppose I am
But I mean C'mon

Cronicles was crap [IMO]
Tactics wasn't too good

7, 8, 9, 10 were the best [PS Games]

I know theres alot of exclusives, But everyone I know who owns a PS3 always talks about that game if you get me? Like it's such a big one.

Yea, Smurfy is right, FF and MGS are the 2 big exclusives for the Ps3... Somehow Shift is gonna disagree with that. If a Final Fantasy 13 comes out on the 360 or wii or whatever, it will be a loss to Sony, if it's one of the Crystal Chronicles sort of games, then it won't affect Sony.

Celestial said:
Yea, Smurfy is right, FF and MGS are the 2 big exclusives for the Ps3... Somehow Shift is gonna disagree with that. If a Final Fantasy 13 comes out on the 360 or wii or whatever, it will be a loss to Sony, if it's one of the Crystal Chronicles sort of games, then it won't affect Sony.

Thanks xD

I agree with you Smurf if Final Fantasy is multiplatform thats a huge hit to sony. It won't destroy them but still its pretty significant. And I wish Square Enix would just go ahead and make a formal announcement either way so that the rumor mill can just quiet down. Right now I just have this gut feeling that the main Final Fantasy might appear on ALL 3 consoles but it will have different names...sorta like The GodFather and how it has different names for the Wii and the p$3 right? But thats just a theory. I'd love to have Final Fantasy on the Wii since I'm not a big fan of Crystal Chronicles (although the next one does look a lil promising). The Wii is definitely capable of handling a FF game even if it has to come in several discs which I wouldn't mind. Anyways thats just my opinion. We'll find out the truth though as the weeks roll thru so I can be patient.

P.S. Theres also news that sony has NO plans to drop the price of the p$3.

Celestial said:

Of course im going to dissagree with that, those are not the only two big titles worth mentioning on the ps3. Its just that simple, they are great franchises. But to be honest, im looking forward to some other games more, which is hard to believe.

I actually wouldnt mind FF13 going to the 360 and PC. Its a great franchise and i would rather support Square Soft.. (i hate calling them square enix) over nintendo, sony, or microsoft to be honest. Unfortunately, square soft has had many injustices done to them by nintendo in the past, and their relationship is a bit shakey. For Finaly Fantasy 13 and its successors, i can only believe the medium that supports the designer the most should be the best. What they do in the main FF branch is so cinematic, so amazing, that it requires not just the best hardware, but the best disc medium. Square has always pushed the boundaries, and I think they are trying to do so with FF13 on the PS3.

However, here is the catch. The main branch of Final Fantasy games are very very high budget. There have been feature films made for much less. It is for this reason that GTA is also going Multiplatform. They make money off the games, and so they need to reach a wider audience.

However, I can say that Square and Sony right now are still good friends, and I believe Square has a lot of say with Sony, but the real question is, if sony can help support Square Soft in their making of FF13. This is whats being discussed right now. I also believe that when square soft and enix merged, the company had grown but also lost something important in the process.

So anyways, i got off track but the point is, there is more to the PS3 than just those titles and i can garantee Sony knows what would happen if FF13 went multiplatform. If they let it happen then they have other plans, whether we as the consumer agree with it or not. If the game is multiplatform, big IF, then i can also say that the game will be different between the 360 and the PS3.

One last note, it is more expensive to have multipul dvds over 1 blue ray. Just a heads up.

Back