Home

Farid said:
i can destroy your argument whit this question:
am i defending Mii ?

your argument is to attack mii but i`m not telling that mii is better than home or home better than mii, inclusive i never said Mii on my post so your argument is not valid

i`m just saying that home is a stupid idea
i was only using miis in the last part for comparison
but not the first parts

MasterJedi2U said:
LOL....Like, "OMG do you wanna go to Virtua Club!? I hear the DJ there is SO AWESOME! We might even SCORE 2nite! What virtual clothes are you planning on wearing?"

So I'm assuming that you've conceded that Home is not a Mii copy?

LOL… "Hey, do you want to come over and swing at a fake baseball on TV. Don't forget to bring your helmet! We definitely won't score tonight!"

The point is… there is entertainment for everyone. But, believe what you have to believe.

kinda reminds me of 'second life'.. where social actions in a virtual world eventually just feel pointless. imo Home will need some kind of competitive interaction between players at a good level before it will become popular and alot of fun... compete for the best looking homes perhaps?:arf:

but yeah it looks good, has alot of potential... doesnt apeal to me though, i find it all abit scary lol.

Also how can this be compared to the mii channel? i dont think they have copied nintendo at all. Home, to me is something completly different. Mii's are just a way of expressing and identifying yourself, Home is a virtual world that you engage yourself in.

imae said:
Also how can this be compared to the mii channel? i dont think they have copied nintendo at all. Home, to me is something completly different. Mii's are just a way of expressing and identifying yourself, Home is a virtual world that you engage yourself in.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Two different audiences, two different approaches. Nothing wrong with either one of them (well, we don't know how good Home will be yet, so that's rushing things there).

I love how everyone quoted me...as for your comments there stupid since virtual sports games have existed for a LONG time and no one has ever had a problem with them. I"m surel ike 90% of people who play them also play some type of sport in real life. Its not wrong or lazy to find enjoyment out of playing a GAME. However I do think its pathetic that people would actually devote a significant part of their day to watching some virtual representation of themselves interact with a bunch of strangers. Flame the Mii Channel if you want but its a whole lot more appealing to me than Home will ever be. Fancy graphics and lots a lifelike content do not guarantee that this will be hit.

MasterJedi2U said:
Flame the Mii Channel if you want but its a whole lot more appealing to me than Home will ever be. Fancy graphics and lots a lifelike content do not guarantee that this will be hit.

Good. We're getting somewhere. Nothing against you personally. Just trying to clear misinformation and back up the fact that everyone has their preferences for games.

Of course Home isn't going to be for everyone, but I'm willing to wager that since there are a ton of idiots on myspace and facebook (yes, I'm guilty of both), that a lot people like to customize their own virtual spaces. You all know the pointless stuff that's out on those pages, but that's what makes them so popular. Or, look at all your avatars and sigs on these forums. Why are they all different?

The coolest aspect about Home, in my opinion, won't be the apartments or mini-games, but the Developer spaces. What we've seen is Sony Computer Entertainment's vision of a virtual space, kinda futuristic modern. Imagine what Square Enix's vision might be. A different themed room for each of their IP's, each with a different art direction, content, and mini-games. Now if they could tie in what you do in their virtual space into their games, that would even be cooler. And of course, you'll meet a lot of like minded gamers in these spaces, so chances of running into an anti-rpg player would be quite slim in an rpg themed space.

This looks exactly like The Sims Online.

That was a complete failure number-of-users-wise, but was very, very fun.

Well considering that Sony is NOT making it exclusively virtual... I think its a good step to a reality thats both virtual and non-virtual.

Sony plans to impliment an ebay like function, in which real goods can be traded bought and sold over the virtual space.

wow super fun !!!

"come on virtual friend let`s go to our virtual party and talk with virtual people and take a virtual drink or dance in the virtual dance hall"

come on !

there is a real world you know ? with all this stuff and 10000 times better !!!!

Then what are you doing arguing on the internet? Gosh there is a real world you know. Go argue with someone in real life because obviously we arnt real people.

point is, your comment is hypocritical in that you are bashing something you yourself are doing. If you have ever made your way passed college, you might have learned theres a field of study related to the virtual-real world and how they intermix to become ONE world, where none is more real than the other.

The point is, you are not interacting with virtual people, you are interacting with REAL people. The differnce is, you are using a tool much like a phone or text message feature. Its not uncommon to meet a person online and meet up with them outside of the game. I know a couple who met in an online mmorpg before they got married.

So if your going to be closed minded and ignorant, get off the computer and enjoy your "real" world.

Home began creation 3 years ago, it could not have been a copy of the mii's unless mii's were created back then too and somehow Sony got info of this and decided to compete, like mentiond above there is no possible way that home was made in 3 months to copy mii's.

Also Home is a good idea, i think it will rack in some sales, i am a wii fan and will always be a wii fan but theres no reason that you cant say at least "this is a good idea" Even if you dont like it and think its a pathetic thing for losers who have no lives and would rather go to a bar virtually then in real life its still a good idea that will create sales. Think about it.

Farid said:
wow super fun !!!

"come on virtual friend let`s go to our virtual party and talk with virtual people and take a virtual drink or dance in the virtual dance hall"

come on !

there is a real world you know ? with all this stuff and 10000 times better !!!!

As stupid as the post that I'm quoting sounds, that's the point I was looking for. Seriously, what is the point? You don't need to chat with friends on Home when MSN and things like Skype exist. I'm sure that most people won't be spending hours on Home when there are games to play, the PS3 isn't made for Home, it's made for games, you can't expect people to be on Home for hours on end.

Chaz said:
I'm sure that most people won't be spending hours on Home when there are games to play, the PS3 isn't made for Home, it's made for games, you can't expect people to be on Home for hours on end.

1. the ps3 is made as a multi-media device, just like the psp. So what your saying is fairly ignorant. Its not made for JUST games. I really dont know where you decided it was.

2. Developers/producers and publishers have been attempting at targeting an audience that was very difficult over the past 15 years. That audience, is females. Studies show that females have a hightened sense of gaming that involve more social aspects. MMORPGs are the most popular game genre for female players. Home is combining everything into one Graphical User Interface that is not only functional but "immersive".

3. Since Home will include many forms of multi-media, there is more to do than just games, therefore people will spend time using it. The consoles are an attempt to mainstream computers and package it in an easy and conventient form thats also price friendly. 600 bucks for a rig like the ps3 is a good deal. (untill more software comes out for it, lets not ***** about the price)
3a. They have plans for a ebay function to sell goods via HOME. Players have shown bragging rights are popular, this comes from games they have won or titles they have earned (xbox live). Home makes it so those users can actually SHOW off their bragging rights through objects, clothes, ingame earnings. This also promotes developers to consider PS3 over other consoles due to a hightened possibility for revinues.
3b. Sony owns an online gaming company, a MOVIE STUDIO, and MUSIC studio. These will be implimented into HOME.
3c. If you go to wait rooms for various games and servers, you will find to your suprise that talking in these waiting rooms is popular. Sure people could be playing the games themselves, but the lobby tends to be just as popular as the games themselves. HOME is one big Lobby/waiting room for gamers also.

I could go on, but i wont. Just wanted to show you how wrong your statement is.

Shiftfallout said:
1. the ps3 is made as a multi-media device, just like the psp. So what your saying is fairly ignorant. Its not made for JUST games. I really dont know where you decided it was.

2. Developers/producers and publishers have been attempting at targeting an audience that was very difficult over the past 15 years. That audience, is females. Studies show that females have a hightened sense of gaming that involve more social aspects. MMORPGs are the most popular game genre for female players. Home is combining everything into one Graphical User Interface that is not only functional but "immersive".

3. Since Home will include many forms of multi-media, there is more to do than just games, therefore people will spend time using it. The consoles are an attempt to mainstream computers and package it in an easy and conventient form thats also price friendly. 600 bucks for a rig like the ps3 is a good deal. (untill more software comes out for it, lets not ***** about the price)
3a. They have plans for a ebay function to sell goods via HOME. Players have shown bragging rights are popular, this comes from games they have won or titles they have earned (xbox live). Home makes it so those users can actually SHOW off their bragging rights through objects, clothes, ingame earnings. This also promotes developers to consider PS3 over other consoles due to a hightened possibility for revinues.
3b. Sony owns an online gaming company, a MOVIE STUDIO, and MUSIC studio. These will be implimented into HOME.
3c. If you go to wait rooms for various games and servers, you will find to your suprise that talking in these waiting rooms is popular. Sure people could be playing the games themselves, but the lobby tends to be just as popular as the games themselves. HOME is one big Lobby/waiting room for gamers also.

I could go on, but i wont. Just wanted to show you how wrong your statement is.

Thank god, an intellectual person that I can argue with.

The Playstation 3 is a console primarily produced to play computer games, agreed? The ability to play Blue-ray DvDs, music etc. are all just added features put in to attract more customers, those with have little knowledge of games consoles. Tell me, what can the PS3 do that other commonplace units in the average house can't? If MMORPGS attract female potential gamers then I'm sure the PC would be the preferred unit to have, rarely are MMORPGS made on home consoles. Yet again, the PC can provde many other social programs for the female audience.

I don't know where you get your facts but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Logically a girl/women wouldn't be attracted to spending £425 for a games console just to have one program. Also, to add, the Wii is attracting far more female gamers as opposed to the PS3, admittedly that's before Home so we can wait for that.

I know that chatting in lobbies are popular, yet when I buy a PS3 I'll be buying it with the range of gams in mind rather than home. The fact that those avatars created in Home won't be used in any future games is another thing that puts me off. I'm not really into chatting with random people on the net, if I want to play a game with friends, I'll give them a call or something.

Ok this post is long enough, I want a reply.

Last edited:
Chaz said:
Thank god, an intellectual person that I can argue with.

The Playstation 3 is a console primarily produced to play computer games, agreed? The ability to play Blue-ray DvDs, music etc. are all just added features put in to attract more customers, those with have little knowledge of games consoles. Tell me, what can the PS3 do that other commonplace units in the average house can't?

well first, i would argue that those features are not merely added features to attract more customers. Obviously the more a system can do the more appealing it is, but sony has always been about creating the ultimate multimedia device. After nintendo dropped their dealings with Sony, sony went their seperate way and made the playstation. This was sort of a retaliation of nintendo pulling out of a joint project. Thus sony became involved with the gaming industry. Their playstation was popular for games, so they decided it was time to add more to their intent on multimedia devices that interact with eachother.

Lets look at Sony's description of the PS3. "Designed from the ground up to usher in the next generation of entertainment, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system delivers a future-proof consumer solution next-generation technology in one complete device." "The PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system gives you unprecedented control, access and enjoyment of a full range of digital media. The PLAYSTATION®3 system's power, flexibility and connectivity will ignite the next era in home entertainment."

They are not marketing it a purely a gaming device. Games are just one of the many main focuses of the PS3. Movies, Music, Internet. Its all on equal footing. They want a device that people will buy for all its features. A full on home entertainment system.

You ask what the PS3 can do that other average home units cant do? Simple. It can do it all in one easy to use box. The japanese have been known to utilize technology in such ways that make life easy and convenient. This is completely off topic, but did you know you can buy sex toys from a vending machine in japan? They have a one space parking device that will take your care and mechanically put it into an underground bee hive like space for your cars or bikes. anyways.. that was off topic.. er where was I.. oh yeah. The PS3 is like a computer, but computers are not quite as user friendly as we might assume. This is where consoles come into the picture. We all know computer gaming is far superior to consoles, but consoles hold a larger market. Reason being is that its convenient, cheap and simple. Prepackaged and ready to use.

If MMORPGS attract female potential gamers then I'm sure the PC would be the preferred unit to have, rarely are MMORPGS made on home consoles. Yet again, the PC can provde many other social programs for the female audience.

Well, considering the ease of use that is the console device. Not having to worry about hardware pieces or upgrading, consoles tend to be better priced and easier to use. Why need to buy a monitor for computers and not use your tv, or vice versa. Why not have it all in one unit with one display device.

Since consoles are becoming far superior to what they once were, they are able to play MMORPGS.

-Xbox has the Final Fantasy MMORPG.
-Age of Conan is a dirx10 powered mmorpg coming to the xbox360 along with the PC.
-Phantasy Star online came out on a console device.
-Warhammer online developers commented on the new trend to bring MMORPGs to the console audience, connecting everyone together.
-Brad from Sigil (known for creating Everquest) has mentioned to me personally that he agrees that the future of MMORPGs will include User Generated Content, which he is attempting to add into Vanguard saga of heroes. Sony plans to incorperate forms of user content into their system, partially with HOME.

I have played an MMORPG on a large screen tv, its much more satisfying than a 20'' monitor.

Voice communication is becoming common place as well. The age of split screen multiplayer is dying.

Basically, MMORPGs will be a big part of the console market, more and more PC titles also have plans for a Console release. You have to remember, the PC is not as user friendly for most people. The PC will ALWAYs be the superior system, but it is not as accessable to a large portion of people. Not to mention more expensive. Consoles are everything in one sexy packaged form.

Logically a girl/women wouldn't be attracted to spending £425 for a games console just to have one program. Also, to add, the Wii is attracting far more female gamers as opposed to the PS3, admittedly that's before Home so we can wait for that.

I dont think they will want it for just one piece of software, however that one piece of software is connected to every other piece of software. Games like the sims had a huge female audience, sony plans to link their games to HOME so that content can go back and forth. HOME will include a partner finder fuction no doubt, just as it has plans for a lot of popular pieces. HOME like a mmorpg will continually have content patches and will grow over time. Hey it might not be your cup of tea, but girls will love it in conjunction with some games and mmorpgs. Its the icing on the cake.

As for girls liking the wii, well most are probably under the age of 16 but thats merely speculation. We.. er Wii all know the real reasons girls like the wii. Its cute, simple, and that remote.. has lots.. of functionality if you know what i mean. Giggidy giddigy.

I know that chatting in lobbies are popular, yet when I buy a PS3 I'll be buying it with the range of gams in mind rather than home. The fact that those avatars created in Home won't be used in any future games is another thing that puts me off. I'm not really into chatting with random people on the net, if I want to play a game with friends, I'll give them a call or something.

Well home might not be for you. As of right now, we dont know where sony plans to take those avatars. They might be incorperating into other software, Sony is like that, and i know if Maxis gets involed with some SIM style game, they will love to take advatage of that. Its too early to speculation how far they will take HOME avatars, though they did say they have plans to interconnect as much as they can.

Ok this post is long enough, I want a reply.

NEVER!! hahaha..oh damn.

Back