I'm curious... why did Nintendo call it the Wii?

It's called Wii 'cause it's suppose to appeal to EVERYONE; young and old. People who have played video games for years and ones who have never picked up a game controller.

ebittner said:
I liked the "Revolution" but I think they went with wii because it is a more fun name and when they say it is like "Wiiii" like you are having fun.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

and I liked revolution better too.

ComfortablyMad said:
It's called Wii 'cause it's suppose to appeal to EVERYONE; young and old. People who have played video games for years and ones who have never picked up a game controller.
I agree with that, the whole suitability for all age groups is evident in the official video clips of the Wii.

MetroidZ said:
i prenounce it "WHY", sounds better
That's a first. I thought the double "i" would obviously imply the eee sound rather than the "why" sound.

Riviet said:
I agree with that, the whole suitability for all age groups is evident in the official video clips of the Wii.

In the E3 Conference they said that it was made the way it is to appeal to all age groups. Made for someone who's played for years and for people who've never picked up a game controller. The games they are working on are also based on the idea that the game console, and controller is for absolutly everyone.

Personally I like the name "Wii", it's different just like the console and controller.

Last edited:
Riviet said:
Feel free to also offer your personal thoughts on the topic.
Considering that "Revolution" was only a code name to begin with, I think that Nintendo did it to catch the eyes of more people. I mean the name Wii is different.

ComfortablyMad said:
According to Nintendo, right on. All us in the US and other English-speaking regions must remember that Nintendo is a Japanese company, and they don't realise the English jokes that arise. The name makes sense, but the bad thing is that it has to be explained

According to Nintendo, right on. All us in the US and other English-speaking regions must remember that Nintendo is a Japanese company, and they don't realise the English jokes that arise. The name makes sense, but the bad thing is that it has to be explained

actually the explanation is part of the hook, it gets people talking about the system who would normally be like: "oh another nintendo....cool" instead the response is "oh another nintendo....wii....wait a minute whats that?"

Back