Just a question... about medical marijuana...

mushroomedmario said:
i didn't mean they weren't accurate, i meant they didn't prove that people were worse drivers, it proved that people have delayed reactions, yes, but that's not the only factor in the amount of quality of driving, people, while high tend to be more careful and not take any risks, and i believe it benefits the driver more than the negative impacts

My post should have apparent that it wasn't directed at you - only in the general sense that you and the other poster mentioned (i.e. his = not you) indicated the same take on driving while high (from the previous thread).

Unless you're the same person [from that previous thread]?

People aren't worse drivers = People have delayed reactions?

:lol:

Delayed reactions aren't significant? According the IIHS, failure to react in time do to distraction, lack of sleep, [various] intoxications is a MAJOR factor in accidents.

mushroomedmario said:
also, i believe i was talking about my friends, not myself

mushroomedmario said:
yeah i find myself a better driver while high

Huh?

Again a terrific example of why advocates can't create a unified front - there's too many people that try to double-talk past the scientifically supported concerns about legalizing it.

Why not just say "People shouldn't drive while intoxicated" and then support the legalization at the same time? I've never understood this need to purport it has zero effect on operating a vehicle, doesn't have any health issues, etc., etc.

[DT] said:
My post should have apparent that it wasn't directed at you - only in the general sense that you and the other poster mentioned (i.e. his = not you) indicated the same take on driving while high (from the previous thread).

Unless you're the same person [from that previous thread]?

People aren't worse drivers = People have delayed reactions?

:lol:

Delayed reactions aren't significant? According the IIHS, failure to react in time do to distraction, lack of sleep, [various] intoxications is a MAJOR factor in accidents.

Huh?

Again a terrific example of why advocates can't create a unified front - there's too many people that try to double-talk past the scientifically supported concerns about legalizing it.

Why not just say "People shouldn't drive while intoxicated" and then support the legalization at the same time? I've never understood this need to purport it has zero effect on operating a vehicle, doesn't have any health issues, etc., etc.

yes, lol, i was the person from before, and i'm not trying to legalize it, i would just be happy it is was.....

and i do believe delayed reactions are very significant, but if you've been in the car with a teenage driver, they are terrible, they(/we) take way too many risks, are way too impatient, try to run late yellows, cut people off, speed like crazy.......from my experience, those things don't apply to teenagers while they're high, i'd perfer someone have a little bit of a delay from driving slowly/the speed limit, than a person that has decent reaction time but speeds 90kph on a 50kph road......

yes i realize this is my experiences only, and also realize there are many other factors in this matter as well, i.e. how much marijuana is in their system

Last edited:
Chewy said:
Driving under the influence of marijuana isn't really dangerous for most people. People actually drive more careful and pay more attention when they're high usually. Although with beginning smokers I wouldn't trust them too much on the roads. This would really be the only problem because you can't measure how high someone is like you can with alcohol.

And if people smoked during their breaks at work they would probably just get fired if they didn't work with much effort. I mean its not like you can get drunk at your work now.And a lot of people at my job including myself go there high and get the work done just as quick and efficiently as if we were sober. But keep in mind we are experienced...

Well I am going to agree and disagree with you on this but I am going to put in my two cents.

My husband works as a manager of a cold storage warehouse. They use machines there that cost a quarter of a million dollars. On two seperate occasions two people came to work high and crashed those machines. These were "experienced" smokers. There is also a problem with said smokers showing up to work late or not coming it at all because they were tired from their all night smoking binges. This is just an example of those "experienced" smokers on not such a good day. And of course they were fired.

Now I know that there are people who are less affected then most and that is fine. But all I am saying that there are too many risks and chances in legalizing marijuana. Do what ever you want on your own time in your own house...but dont put other people in danger because you felt like driving high or going to work high. Its just not smart. My story obviously proves that no matter how much you smoke things can happen.

NikkiLee said:
Well I am going to agree and disagree with you on this but I am going to put in my two cents.

My husband works as a manager of a cold storage warehouse. They use machines there that cost a quarter of a million dollars. On two seperate occasions two people came to work high and crashed those machines. These were "experienced" smokers. There is also a problem with said smokers showing up to work late or not coming it at all because they were tired from their all night smoking binges. This is just an example of those "experienced" smokers on not such a good day. And of course they were fired.

Now I know that there are people who are less affected then most and that is fine. But all I am saying that there are too many risks and chances in legalizing marijuana. Do what ever you want on your own time in your own house...but dont put other people in danger because you felt like driving high or going to work high. Its just not smart. My story obviously proves that no matter how much you smoke things can happen.
Well I would never operate complicated machinery or anything while high, I just wash dishes.

And as for the driving high, I have had cops follow me at multiple ocassions at 3 in the morning and not pull me over while I was high, and cops usually pull everyone over around here at that time. I also tend to give cars in front of me a lot more room which equals out the delayed reaction time(which is not much more delayed then normal for me).

It is so much different then driving drunk... And honestly I would consider alcohol a hard drug. It's almost killed me along with a few people I know and throughout all of my experiences I have found it to be one of the most intense.

NikkiLee said:

Well I would never operate complicated machinery or anything while high, I just wash dishes.

And as for the driving high, I have had cops follow me at multiple ocassions at 3 in the morning and not pull me over while I was high, and cops usually pull everyone over around here at that time. I also tend to give cars in front of me a lot more room which equals out the delayed reaction time(which is not much more delayed then normal for me). And keep in mind it is still legal to drive with some alcohol in your system. I know my limits and don't drive when I'm too high.

It is so much different then driving drunk... And honestly I would consider alcohol a hard drug. It's almost killed me along with a few people I know and throughout all of my experiences I have found it to be one of the most intense.

I am very happy with this discussion...

I like hearing that all of you have opinions of their own. I too believe that we should completely legalize it. I think they should treat it like alcohol and put an age limit on it, tax the hell out of it, people should get in trouble for using at work, it should count as a DUI(which it did when I got mine for pot), and the government should put warning labels on it for health reasons if smoked.

Vaporizing is much healthier if you want to smoke. If you burn it at the right temp., it will not burn and cause you to breathe charcoal fumes. It only bursts the THC crystals and that's all you get. The only bad thing about vaporizing, correct me if I'm wrong, is that all of your cannibis tastes like kettle corn.

Anyway, I will keep reading and keep putting more of my input in as this thread goes along.

Yes legalize it. A little herb didn't hurt anyone. It's a sham of how it became illegal in the first place. Not to mention It's fact that no one has died of an over dose of marijuana, and there have been studies that prooved that people that had smoked the occasional Ganja had a average of a 5-10 longer year life span than of those who never touched the stuff. (My friend did an essay about Marijuana, so he told me almost everything there is to be known about it)

Should Marijuana be Legalized under any Circumstances?

YES

The drug generally isn't more harmful than alcohol or tobacco if used in moderation.
Limiting the use of the drug intrudes on personal freedom.
Legalization would mean a lower price; thus, related crimes (like theft) would be reduced.
There are medical benefits such as the those for cancer patients.
Street justice related to drug disputes would be reduced.
It could be a source of additional tax revenues.
Police and court resources would be freed up for more serious crimes.
Drug dealers (including some terrorists) would lose most or all of their business.
The FDA or others could regulate the quality and safety of drugs.
Like sex, alcohol, or cigarettes, marijuana is one of life's little pleasures for some people.
Drug busts often trap young people in a flawed system that turns them into lifelong criminals

NO

Marijuana is often used as a stepping-stone drug, leading to heroin, cocaine, or other harder drugs.
Stoned driving and other dangers would be increased.
Some consider use of the drug as morally wrong.
Legalization would increase the chances of the drug falling into the hands of kids.
Because of drug-related arrests, people who have committed or are likely to commit more serious crimes can be taken off the streets.
Physical damage would be done to users that abuse the drug.

I got this from this website.

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/marijuana_legalization.htm

Back