Metroid Prime 3 VS Halo 3

Lethal said:
Toastie - Im glad to see someone understands what I was trying to say. Though I come off as a total a$$hole most of the times its only because people continuously tend to argue and claim the Wii to be all mighty. I think you explained it perfectly.

I wouldn't say it that harshly Lethal :p . The problem with discussion forums is the number of different opinions that get thrown around, not everyone is going to agree, and whilst you tend to state fact, you do so in a way which seems biased. Whilst most of us can read it for what it is a pure fact ie hardware wise the Wii is inferior, some loyal Nintendo fans will see this as Ninty bashing (have I just created a phrase?). Where as if we look at the facts you are 100% correct, technically speaking PS3 and 360 are far superior hardware speaking.

Sometimes it is hard to diferentiate between an inteligent poster and a fanboy. I see both Nintendos fans and Microsofts fans slating the PS3 at the moment. Whereas logic will tell us that this system is far superior just poorly marketed and too future proof where it is out pricing the general public. To not want to buy the PS3 because of Sony's marketing blunders is a very valid reason, but to blame this on the hardware is just ignorant. All consoles feed of each others marketing in some way, Sony will say they have the most powerful console available on the market, if no other consoles exist what would they say? Nintendo say they have the cheapest and most accesible console on the market, without others to compare how would they market?

The problem is that loyalty clouds the judgement. I am Nintendo loyal, I don't really know why I just like their systems and IP's, but thinking for myself it doesn't mean I can't see the merits of other systems out there. The fact of the matter remains that monopolies are never good and I am hole heartedly pleased that the market has a number of successful consoles to boost competition and force hardware developers to make something better than their rivals.

I think i will just have you translate all of my replies for me lol. It sounds alot better when you say it. I just get pissed off lol

Toastie said:
As argumentative as lethal is he brings up some valid points every now and again. Lets take what Nintendo did with the DS, it was in their own words an experiment, that is why it coincides with the Advance. The DS is not a replacement for the Advance it was a harware based experiment and some think a way for them to test the market for the suitability to the Wii. The Wii also is an experiment, it costs Nintendo 90 dollers to make a unit they are interested only in the market suitability to such a device, and the expanding of the market. No technically speaking the specifications of the machine are far inferior to Sony's and MS's. However as this is the first console of it's type it is not there to compete with those two. Sony and MS however will be thanking Nintendo when thousands of non-gamers become interested in the console market.

The human interface on the Wii has the potential to be FAR superior to that of either console, however developers have had 30 years to get to grips with game pads and buttons yet not much over 30 days to get to grips with a motion sensing pointing device in the console market. If you look at technical specifications and nothing else then you get what you pay for. If however we put aside which console is best and agree that competition is healthy for the market, then we can look to the future of gaming with each company standing on each others shoulders to bring you the best gaming experience. Yes the Wii is an experiment, not just for Nintendo but for the whole market and for that even Sony fanboys should be thanking them for taking the risk to potentially revolutionise the market. (check Sony patenting, recently one has been filed for a motion sensitive pointing device)

If we look at sales figures we see the market has been blown wide open, this is a great thing. Whether one game on another system is better than yours is neither here nor there, the fact that more and more people are spending money in the industry is only good.

This argument of whether MP3 is better than Halo3 is completely unnecessary, not only are the games completely different, but they are on different systems and offer different gameplay, therefore it is entirely opinion and not fact. MS have sold over 10 million 360s, to Nintendos 4 million Wiis, so sales figures are also for the time being irrelevent unless you look at it in percentages, (ie 50% of Wii owners will buy MP3, 60% of 360 owners got Halo3 etc).

But essentially who does Microsoft have to thank for their massive current success, it would be companies like Atari, Nintendo, Sega and other hardware manufacturers who took the risk to bring gaming from the arcades into our homes back in the eighties. If Nintendo succeed and bring fresh blood to the market, and MS 361 (w/e) sells 20 million units it is once again because of another company adding to a stagnant market.

All consoles take risks, some with future proof hardware that they will initially make a loss on, and some with a different approach to the market. Would online console gaming really be where it is if it wasn't for MS? Would Nintendo have included online support in the Wii if it didn't take off on the Xbox, of course they wouldn't have. Wii owners have MS to thank that the Wii is getting online support, because MS took that initial leap of faith, in ten years time we may have Nintendo to thank for getting rid of the clunky game pad, who knows it is all an experiment when it comes down to it really.

Many good points here. I agree that the Wii is merely being used to gather empirical data for Nintendo's next system. It would not have been wise to add HD to a system with such a novel control scheme. It looks like Nintendo may have a second system along the line, given the DS/ Gameboy success, but I doubt that.

Halo 3 will win, there isn't even a comparison. Two separate type of games.

Halo in general has a HUGE fan base, mainly because of it's online multi-player capability. Metroid would have to do something extreme to top it.

I love my Wii, I like it even more than my Xbox 360 but I just don't see it happening.

This trailer gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6981901127052492969&q=halo+3+trailer

For all those who haven't seen it and are fans of Halo, enjoy.

In my opinion, both will do well as far as sales go. So many people have the 360 that they will probably sell more copies of Halo 3 at first due to that, but most Wii owners will buy MP3, so the percentage might be similar. If MP3 has some killer online play or some really killer gameplay, then this game may sell as many if not more copies than Halo 3. As Wii's become more readily avaiable, the more copies of MP3, and other games as well, will sell.

I think Nintendo has a chance to get a sufficient online fanbase if they implement their system well enough. If this happens, then we may see some bitter rivaly and maybe some Halo players converting to MP3. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
As epic as toastie's novels are, it is pretty valid comparing MP:3 to Halo 3. Especially considering that success doesn't have to be measured in sales alone.

They are hard to compare in the same shoe, because the only similarities are, they are FPS, and they got aliens. Unless metriod prime has an online system like halo, there's no reason to compare them because alot of people play halo for the online play. So some people will like both. But the way how Halo is design, more weapons was born to be made for the game. Metriod only has a few guns, because Metriod was design more about the suits for samus(gadgets and etc) that accompany Samus on her bounty hunt.. Morph ball and different visors and stuff like that. So there isn't any reason to compare the two.....

Let me know if I'm wrong.

vagrant said:
As epic as toastie's novels are, it is pretty valid comparing MP:3 to Halo 3. Especially considering that success doesn't have to be measured in sales alone.

haha :D

It is as valid as comparing any game to another, but the games are not so similar that direct comparisons can be drawn to their standing within their respective genres.

The games and nay the consoles are leagues apart, thus this will only turn into a discussion of who likes which company or franchise more.

Back