Need help: Torn between wii and ps3

Rob A

WiiChat Member
Aug 24, 2006
I was an original nintendo guy, stayed with them with NES and SNES which were awesome. But N64 was a huge turnoff, and I switched over to ps1, then ps2 and never looked back.

Now the next-gen consoles are upon us, and I'm tempted to go back to Nintendo, mainly because of price. There is one thing that is keeping me from switching to Wii and it's that darn controller.

Is there ANY way around having to use the motion sensitive, 2 piece, oddly shaped controller? I mean just use a standard controller with a few analog sticks, a D pad, and some buttons? The game I play most is madden, and there is no way I will pull back, push forward, and swing the remote to perform functions.

Does nintendo plan on making a regular controller for those that don't want the motion sensitive one?

the majority of wii games will use the nunchuck setup.

there will be no alternate setups for use with cube controllers on games.

if all you play is madden, what change are you looking forward to every year? new rosters? EA could have EASILY made them downloadable year to year. Madden needs a change, now that EA has no competition til 5 years from now, one cant expect much from madden, or EA football. the only change will be a new control scheme, and thats not enough for that franchise anyway.

The whole idea behind the wii IS the new controller. if its the one thing that turns you off, i cannot recommend it. a nice thought though: nintendo wants to pick up non-gamers, which means you will be able to play many of these games at retailers and stores before you make a decision.

EDIT: Joining this forum is proof that youre interested, have you joined ps3 forums too? if so, im sorry.;)

No I have not joined any ps3 forums. I'm just torn between 2 systems here, can that classic controller be used for games like madden? (hell, the classic literally has all the same buttons in the same place as playstation, will make it soooo easy to use)

Rob A said:
No I have not joined any ps3 forums. I'm just torn between 2 systems here, can that classic controller be used for games like madden? (hell, the classic literally has all the same buttons in the same place as playstation, will make it soooo easy to use)

no, the classic controller will be used for VC and possible cube games. very few NEW wii games will offer alternate setups for use with either the cube controller ot the classic controller

Darn, now I gotta shell out $500. Maybe I'll wait a year for the price to go down or something...

It all comes down to how much your willing to dish out for a video game system. $600 (ouch), or somewhere between $200 and $300. The choice is yours, but I would honestly go for the Wii. The PS3 just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Stop your silly worries about the wii remote! lol Don't you know that it is designed to be easier to handle. The wii experience of madden is really gonna be something. Also the free online play and just all the wonderful things it has going. Don't miss out on the fun!

One of main points (if not THE main point) of the Wii is its controller, so if it doesn't appeal to you then you're probably better off exploring other options.

Madden is going to be awesome on the Wii! Get a Wii and you can feel like your throwing that pass, or kicking that field goal. It is going to be my first game I buy on the Wii and I;m sure the FREE online play will add depth to the Madden game. What do you do on the PS3 while playing Madden? Press buttons and be lazy! And is the online play FREE like the Wii(It's a serious question I don't know the answer to that) Well I hope a fellow Madden supporter like you will buy the Wii get Madden and have fun! See you on the online play....Ill kick your faeces!

Rob A said:
I was an original nintendo guy, stayed with them with NES and SNES which were awesome. But N64 was a huge turnoff, and I switched over to ps1, then ps2 and never looked back.

Now the next-gen consoles are upon us, and I'm tempted to go back to Nintendo, mainly because of price. There is one thing that is keeping me from switching to Wii and it's that darn controller.

Is there ANY way around having to use the motion sensitive, 2 piece, oddly shaped controller? I mean just use a standard controller with a few analog sticks, a D pad, and some buttons? The game I play most is madden, and there is no way I will pull back, push forward, and swing the remote to perform functions.

Does nintendo plan on making a regular controller for those that don't want the motion sensitive one?
Watching some of the videos on the ways you play may ease your fears over the new wiimote.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yDRm8KaWY[/MEDIA]

Bearing in mind, you might have to learn to use the whole "6 degrees of freedom" in the PS3 controller anyway.

Look. the wii is great, the motion sensor controller is great and everything, but why buy a ps3 if u have doubts of the wii? You could buy an xbox 360 and a wii in the price of a ps3.

You'd rather dish out the doe for a console... which style of play has never changed controllerwise? (except its made boomerang shape :confused:)
The Wii has a new revolution of playing games (pun not intended) and instead of going to an arcade, to play all these great gun and sword games, you'll be able to it in your own home. I think the whole concept of the Wii is much more impressive then the PS3, coz all they have to offer is the same Third-Party games.. and graphics.... woopteh doo...

Wiired said:
You'd rather dish out the doe for a console... which style of play has never changed controllerwise? (except its made boomerang shape :confused:)
The Wii has a new revolution of playing games (pun not intended) and instead of going to an arcade, to play all these great gun and sword games, you'll be able to it in your own home. I think the whole concept of the Wii is much more impressive then the PS3, coz all they have to offer is the same Third-Party games.. and graphics.... woopteh doo...

I thought they scrapped the Boomerang controller? Im pretty sure they did, its just the normal ps2 controller with like an extra button in the middle

m7ticalm said:
I thought they scrapped the Boomerang controller? Im pretty sure they did, its just the normal ps2 controller with like an extra button in the middle
Actually, they've taken the rumble function out of the PS3 controller too. Also implemented the whole "6 degrees of Freedom" (only disclosed to some developers at E3! :p).

m7ticalm said:
Oh really? My bad :lol: but still thats pretty much the same as all their other controllers though.. which I was sayin :p

Back